amp in protection mode!?!

JJCRU23R

my kicker amp has gone tempremental...

sometimes it decides to work, other times, when i turn the ignition, i see the green light on the amp turn red, then it turns off completely.

on the odd occasion that it does work, its completely normal, sound quality of my kicker solobaric is great and sounds as if absolutely NOTHING is wrong otherwise.

just a few days b4 i left australia, its pretty much always not working.

all the fuses on the amp and in the red positive cable from the battery are FINE. ive always checked them and neither of them have busted.

so im putting it down to the wiring kit - i ripped the kit off my old landcru23r and transplanted it into my corolla.

that was back in august -september...

ok - so if you were able to pinpoint the problem, which wire would you suspect?

i originally thought it was the "remote" wire. i already went to JB hifi in november and replaced the old wire with a new one. (i also did that when i had the same problem in my cru23r and that did fix the problem at the time)

since that did fix the problem for a while... the problem has since returned and has gotten worse.

so what you you peoplez think?!

replace the red wire? or the brown wire?

positive or earth?

or do i replace the whole wiring kit with a new one?

getting just 1 new length of wire from JB would be a whole lot cheaper. $4-5 per metre if memory serves correctly??

on the other hand i did see some kicker wiring kits that look pretty good. maybe i should just keep it all kicker?

i would only really consider getting the kicker wiring kit if i had another amp for component speakers (might soon be getting punch components from US soon if my brother doesnt mess up the order hehe)

so yea for now (or when i get back to australia) i just want the cheapest option.

but yea just wanna know if anyone else has experienced any issues with their amps

(DIY'erz im looking your direction 4 guidance).

thanks.

jase

Is the amp only running the sub?

I had a problem where my amp (running my splits and rear stage) would go into protection mode at loud volumes. After replacing the battery, checking the cables, fuses, distribution block, we thought it was the amp. So we got another example of the amp and set that up and the problem still occured. It turned out that at a certain frequency going through the splits (1000 or something, it was only picked up on an impedancemeter), the amp would go haywire and fall into CUR current protection mode (it's an Alpine, and they seem to have a low protection threshold).

Running the splits actively from the amp (and putting the rear stage onto the deck) solved the problem.

So, in summary, don't write off your wiring. It's good to eliminate it as a problem but it may not necassarily be the problem. It may still be amp-related.

Edited by Nunga_08

the amp and sub are the only things i added to my stereo.

everything else is stock.

i messed around with the settings a few times already..

i was thinking it may be what you were talking about - if you put the volume too high then it sorta cuts out. but i dont always have my sub on heaps loud since usually i got my babyboy in the backseat, i keep the settings low most of the time.

yea if its the amp itself thats the problem.. then what?????

i bought it from cash converters and it was practically new - still in the box, some screws to fix it in place were missing but everything else was new.

Did you get some sort of statutory warranty with the amp? That might be why the original owner sold it. There is every possibility it's fu*ked if you insist it's wired correctly.

What sort of cable is running from the battery? It's only a tiny sub (compared to what else is available), so the current draw can't be that great surely. 4 or 8 guage would be ideal. Have you tried running the amp in a mate's car? Or, running a different amp in yours?

ah that used to happen with my car, the problem was with my grounding, there was still some paint in the way.

just get a screwdriver and try scratch off some paint to where you grounded. or try a new spot if it dosent work then... i dont know :lol:

• 1 month later...

Update-

finally checked out the wiring of the amp.

narrowed the fault with the amp due to the fuse on the big red positive cable that connects the amp to the battery.

the amp hasnt blown!

woohoo!