Noob trying to drive 05 Stivo...

dont mean too sound like a old fart too but if you do cain it too much you will eventually break something. I have payed the consequences for being inexperienced with my stivo and was lucky to be covered by warranty.

So if your going to hit lift like over a dozen times on a 30 min commute then i would suggest a HD clutch cause constant 1-2 "in lift" shifts will fry it. Other than that i did have the same issue with my 05' and normally toyota dont know it as a "clutch adjustment" at least thats what 3 service centres told me, its the free play you have in your clutch from engagement to the full release i had mine reduced an now i finally have perfect 1-2 shift in lift. Time for a drag again vvtlir (prob still kik my butt :lol: )

Yeah I don't hit lift in 1st anymore... Only done it a couple times... I learnt my lesson after that. I don't speed either, so if I do hit lift, it'll only be in 2nd if I want to get to a speed limit of 110km/h or so... No need to hit lift in normal driving... It's pretty zippy normally anyways.

Cheers :D

I had the same problems with my 2003 Sportivo...

For mine the dealer put in a better gearbox oil after that no problems. I was able to shift in lift from 1-2-3-4 with no problems.

But I wont have any shift problems with my new 6 speed auto XR6 Turbo :whistling:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get an exedy clutch, and all the shifting problem would be solve

Actually just get toyota to adjust the current clutch set-up and it will be fine.

dam!! i took mine to nunawading toyota to adjust it, it was ok for a month and now the problem is back again, take up point little higher but still couldnt let me in 2nd in lift so i have to wait for the revs to drop,and it sucks, anyone know a toyota in melb that actually fix this problem??????????????

Edited by sportiyo

I purchased my 2nd sportivo 2 months ago. And i knew before i bought it it would have this issue. So i had the clutch replaced for exedy HD, and all problems solved! I know cause i have done this twice! I have had my tranny oil replaced, thined out, had my clutch pedal adjusted and been through 6 months of fighting with toyota. The end result both times was to replace the clutch

Its not your driving.. Its very common, dont let people bag your driving when they havent seen you drive. Good luck with it :D

I purchased my 2nd sportivo 2 months ago. And i knew before i bought it it would have this issue. So i had the clutch replaced for exedy HD, and all problems solved! I know cause i have done this twice! I have had my tranny oil replaced, thined out, had my clutch pedal adjusted and been through 6 months of fighting with toyota. The end result both times was to replace the clutch

Its not your driving.. Its very common, dont let people bag your driving when they havent seen you drive. Good luck with it :D

Hmmm... Clutch swap sounds like the way to go... How much did the Exedy set you back, if you don't mind me asking???

Also, thanks for that... I try not to let people bag my driving... If I said I was a pro... and I sucked, then yeah, bag my driving, but I never said I was a pro... I know I'm still learning :)

a proper adjustment... why pay ~$600 to get the clutch done needlessly?

HI guys ...im a member of this forum and im from south africa,as some people here already know i drive a runx rsi..

2nd gear problems are very common why? im not sure..currently my car is iun gateway toyota having the box repaired..the whole 2nd gear is damaged and gear 4 and 5 are crackd..

funny thing is i dont luanch my car.wen we race we go 2nd gear rolling so can someone please tell me why my 2nd gear synchro is damaged..

clutch adjustment..please do this work or does the exedy clutch kit work cos here in sa no1 stocks these performance clutch kits..

how much is it,

thanx guys

It would be wise to get the clutch pedal adjusted first as it is cheaper, but i have herd the problem may come back in a short time.

This did nothing to both my stivos. Although many members here have had success (I dont get it still, you'd think the remedy would work on them all).

So my next step was to get the clutch replaced under warranty on my first sivo (as it was bought new). And for the other stivo i had to use my credit card to get the exedy HD installed (i piad way too much $850) as it was a private sale.

I really beleive the clutch replacement is a 99.9% chance of working (landing above 6k with ease).

I think you'd pay $600+ for the kit and installation

I think it's simply a problem with the car.

It's like ordering something to eat and complaining because you don't like the taste - that's just how it comes. Pretty sure nearly everyone has had this problem. Clutch adjustment? I'm not so sure. Jeremy's 'box sounds a hell of a lot like Micky's and our white one, STi GUi yours sounds like our red one. The gearbox does not suit the engine, the disc rotors warp, there are a few ticks and bump noises when you're driving.... It's just the car. Want a cushy ride? Go then 1ZZ :)

Well our next service is in 1000kms or so... It's not at a Toyota Dealer though, but at an awesome mechanic that does all of our servicing... He even builds drag cars in his workshop as a hobby :D

Also... His brother in law has a Stivo so I reckon he might already know about the clutch problem and HOPEFULLY knows how to fix it... Fingers crossed ;)

So if I was to explain this to the mechanic... What exactly would I tell him needs to be adjusted??? Or if I explain what actually happens, will he know what needs to be done???

The clutch pedal height has to be raised, there is an adjustment behind the pedal, this allows more pedal travel into the clutch master cyclinder when the clutch pedal is depressed, thus giving more movement at the clutch slave cyclinder so that the pressure plate opens further (more dissengagement).

I hope you get my drift

This has all been covered before, I seem to remember that pictures were posted of the adjustments, do a seach, they should still be there.

hey corzza

if u get it done at Caso let me know how much it costs plz

as thats where id be taking my stivo for service and clutch job

when i get my liscence back

thanks mate

No problemo mate!

Just let me tell you they are one of the very best out there!

Bought 2 cars from them and they even swopped everything off my levin onto the stivo for free!

Even my sound man! which cost them cos they sent it to a sound shop!

Iv had no issues with services either!

yeh i know dude its the only place i would take my Stivo

good ol' Caso ... use to be my locals haha i grew up there !!

ive had break machining done there and all services done there

the service is top notch !!