1995 Camry Idle vibration problem

TiDude

Hello,

I have a 1995 Camry, 4 cylinder and I have a couple of problems that I can't seem to figure out.

1) I have a rough idle when in gear but it goes away when in neutral.

2) When I start the car when it is cold I must depress the accelerator as I turn the key and crank and I must keeping giving it gas for about 10 seconds after it starts or else it dies.

I changed the spark plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor so far.

What do you think could be the root causes of these two problems?

Thanks

Andre

Livermore, CA USA

Hello,

I have a 1995 Camry, 4 cylinder and I have a couple of problems that I can't seem to figure out.

1) I have a rough idle when in gear but it goes away when in neutral.

2) When I start the car when it is cold I must depress the accelerator as I turn the key and crank and I must keeping giving it gas for about 10 seconds after it starts or else it dies.

I changed the spark plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor so far.

What do you think could be the root causes of these two problems?

Thanks

Andre

Livermore, CA USA

Sounds like a bad air fuel mixture problem. Could be dirty injectors- try a gas treatment. Check hoses for leaks like air cleaner. maybe fuel filter too.

Also a clean can check of all the sensors for the computer might be needed. They might need a clean or are not connected correctly.

I'm not sure about the second problem about the cold start, however with the rough idle I had the same problem when I had my 1994 Camry 4-cylinder...

It is apparently caused by old engine-mounts, they are expensive to replace though, so I didn't bother and just bought a new car :lol:

I also found switching the car to neutral would help, but after about 6-12months of doing that at every traffic light, it started vibrating in neutral aswell. So to combat that, I had to hold the brake with my left foot and keep the revs higher to stop the vibration :P

check the fuel pump or fuel filter.

With your vibrating problem during idling, its normal for an old car. It sounds like you need to replace your Gear Mounts (like u said, its smooth in Neutral, so its not the engine mounts). Also try doing Transmission Flush. It helps :)

• 2 years later...

I had a high frequency vibration appear suddenly between 2000 and 2400 RPM in a 1996 2.2L Camry. It was a cracked exhaust bracket under the engine. it attaches the engine pipe to the engine/trans and prevents a resonant vibration that travels through the whole car and can be heard in the dash!!

This bracket commonly breaks and is readily available from toyota. It appears to be ok and cracks are usually visible only when removed. A usual contributing factor for the crack is sloppy engine mounts that allow misallignment of the exhaust system, stressing the exhaust mounts.

Try having a look at this... It sounds weird but removal/failure of this bracket causes unbelieveable amounts of vibration in the car at 2000RPM

For the vibration issue, check the dogbone (torque rod) mount. It's the one on the top-side of the engine connected to the strut tower. Chances are the rubber is all cracked. If that's fine, then it;s either the front and/or rear mounts.