single sub or duel set up

bassposse

i just recently blew my kicker 15" sub it no longer works so i have to settle for my old 10" atm and i have attached a different speaker to the wires to make sure it a stuffed sub and it is so now i am on the look out foe a new sub/subs what would you recommend i have a alpine 760 watt mono block 2 channel amp to run what ever sub/subs i buy

and i dont know what to get either two 15" or two 12" sub setup the car is a 91 camry sedan

and my budget will be around 600$$ total

thanks ..GUY..

u didn't specify if it's 760Wrms or 760Wmax.... and it really depends on what kind of music u listen to... if it's techno with tight beats.... u're better off getting a good 12" or 10" in a sealed box or a ported one tuned to whatever frequency u prefer say 40 or 45 maybe even 50 it just depends on u'r sub...

but if u listen to hip hop n u'r looking for that deep low bass then i would recommend a good 15" or 12" in a ported box tuned to around 36 or 40... that's how i've got my SV21 anyway... but keep in mind that a ported box will take up lots more space.... my box is a 55L ported box but if i wanted to get a sealed one it would've been around 32L

:D

Not all subs are built the same. You could use the same box, but it might not necessarily bring out the potential of your subs. Some subs like ported box, some prefer sealed. Even better go bandpass!!

Also what d_ice said is generally true, but not 100%. You can get 10" to play really low and a 15" play really tight notes.

All subs have different characteristics as well, what music do you like to listen? you want it to be loud(SPL) or sound nice (SQ).

Look into the Image Dynamics range or Digital Designs, I prefer boston acoustics though.

Cheers

a single 12in.

i used to run a OZ ME12 off 500wrms and it was damn loud. (143.4db on termlab but with more power)

it sounded fantastic and played deep.

( you can read a review i done in it here http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=75813 )

that was a ~$700 sub

as others have said, one good sub is better than 2 average subs

Not all subs are built the same. You could use the same box, but it might not necessarily bring out the potential of your subs. Some subs like ported box, some prefer sealed. Even better go bandpass!!

Also what d_ice said is generally true, but not 100%. You can get 10" to play really low and a 15" play really tight notes.

All subs have different characteristics as well, what music do you like to listen? you want it to be loud(SPL) or sound nice (SQ).

Look into the Image Dynamics range or Digital Designs, I prefer boston acoustics though.

Cheers

Yea I did forget to mention that it depends on the sub's specs... some 15" woofers can be as responsive as 10" woofers and some 10" woofers can play as low as a 15".... and some subs prefer sealed enclosures some prefer other kinds such as ported or different kinds of bandpass boxes

again as Suprathai said it depends if u'r going SPL or SQ.... i'll be upgrading to a Boston Acoustic sub soon since my main aim is SQ..... but if u'r going SPL i would highly recommend DD (Digital Designs)

'll be upgrading to a Boston Acoustic sub soon since my main aim is SQ..... but if u'r going SPL i would highly recommend DD (Digital Designs)

the boston subs are nice subs, i have had a few, (rally 10in, Pro 10.5 and Pro 12.4)

the 10in played low as and still loud (130db on termlab in a sedan)

dual subs. you want power, u got it. you dont need it, turn the gain down. the choice between 15" or 12" depends on what brand and kind you are talking about.

An excelent single sub is way better than two good subs..... eg: 1 600wrms sub is way better than 2 300wrms subs...... the most a dual sub setup could do over a single sub setup would be a max of 3db i think can't remember but it's sumwhere there..... and keep in mind... instead of say getting two small sealed enclosures it'll better (depending on the sub) to get a single bigger ported enclosure it's like comparing a JL W7 sub to 2 JL W3 subs

and if u're going for loud bass... i would highly recommend getting a good front stage.... u don't want a system that'll be drowned with bass unless it's a strict SPL only system... u need a balance of subbass midbass and treble

go to www.caraudioaustralia.com i'm sure there are more knowledgable ppl there

dual subs. you want power, u got it. you dont need it, turn the gain down. the choice between 15" or 12" depends on what brand and kind you are talking about.

An excelent single sub is way better than two good subs..... eg: 1 600wrms sub is way better than 2 300wrms subs...... the most a dual sub setup could do over a single sub setup would be a max of 3db i think can't remember but it's sumwhere there..... and keep in mind... instead of say getting two small sealed enclosures it'll better (depending on the sub) to get a single bigger ported enclosure it's like comparing a JL W7 sub to 2 JL W3 subs

and if u're going for loud bass... i would highly recommend getting a good front stage.... u don't want a system that'll be drowned with bass unless it's a strict SPL only system... u need a balance of subbass midbass and treble

who said anything about 2 good subs? im talking about having 2 subs of the same kind is most of the time, if not always better than having 1.

but of course i agree with having one higher end sub is better than having 2 lower end subs.

Edited by Mikey

I believe front stage is very very important. But if loud shaking bass is your thing then thats your call. My ears face forward :lol:

Generally matching, If you have 5" splits, go with a 10" to 12" sub, with 6.5" splits go with 12" sub. Or even better three way splits with a 8" mid bass driver up front!! :lol:

Agree with mikey, but he only has $600 to spend at this stage.

Remember to include building the enclosure to suit in your budget as well.

Edited by Suprathai

who said anything about 2 good subs? im talking about having 2 subs of the same kind is most of the time, if not always better than having 1.

but of course i agree with having one higher end sub is better than having 2 lower end subs.

in that case yeah i agree with Mikey :P

for around $700 u can get the Image Dynamics IDMAX12V.3 12" sub on special from FHRX Studios

or

for around $600 there's the Image Dynamics IDMAX10V.3 10" sub from the same place too

or u can get the Boston Acoustics G512 12" sub... i know that FHRX Studios stock them but i can't remember the price but they SHOULD be around your price range... ask them about it if u'r giving them a call

and as for an enclosure... it only cost me $28 for the MDF + $5 for PVC piping (for the port) to build my 55L sub box and i have enough material to build another one :D

or u can get an audio shop to build u a box to the sub's specs for around $150-$200 if u'r fingers are too delicate for DIY :P

Well it really depends on how he would like to build his enclosure.

Liquid nails, some nails, speaker terminals, paint, carpet, sound damping if space is a restriction, fibreglass.......it can go on and on. But yeah about $30 would set you back a basic enclosure.

yeh just a basic box would be easyer but im not too good wit DIY

so ima try n get my brother to do it 4 me but yeh gonna go to cae 2 moz coz i didnt get there 2day

and ima ask em' why it blew just after they tuned it n make em feel bad haha

Edited by bassposse

yeh just a basic box would be easyer but im not too good wit DIY

so ima try n get my brother to do it 4 me but yeh gonna go to cae 2 moz coz i didnt get there 2day

and ima ask em' why it blew just after they tuned it n make em feel bad haha

building the box was real easy... plus i got bunnings to do the cuts for me... so all i had to do was glue+screw them... add the carpet (THAT was hard... maybe coz i used house carpet... thick AS lol) then paint the face.... a day's work n it was my first enclosure

but ofcourse if u're goin fiberglass or sumthing that fancy will take more time effort and money...

some pics of my box

post-3317-1169034869_thumb.jpg

post-3317-1169034967_thumb.jpg

You could try putting some matting on the inside of your enclosure, as they say in the audiophile world.......flat panels and corners are your worst enemies when it comes to enclosures.

thats not correct, the standing waves with sub bass are very long and cannot be prouced inside most sub box's, well unless the box is 15feet long..

i have tried doing so many different things with sub boxs and most of it is old wives tales.

all that is needed is strengh

e box was real easy... plus i got bunnings to do the cuts for me... so all i had to do was glue+screw them... add the carpet (THAT was hard... maybe coz i used house carpet... thick AS lol) then paint the face.... a day's work n it was my first enclosure

i have had bunnings cut up many box's for me. now i go to a cabinet maker, cost me around $50 for a 25mm thick box assembled

You could try putting some matting on the inside of your enclosure, as they say in the audiophile world.......flat panels and corners are your worst enemies when it comes to enclosures.

yea i've heard of that saying too... that's y i just added some cutoff carpet on the inside (how ghetto of me) hehe

i have had bunnings cut up many box's for me. now i go to a cabinet maker, cost me around $50 for a 25mm thick box assembled

that's allright... my box was made out of 16mm mdf.... i never thought of going to cabinet makers... thx for the tip fudd

Reading through all that, i dont think that i saw anyone mentioned the importance of the AMP, seriously u could have the best Sub, powered by a ****ty Amp and u wont get anything good from it. Spend the $$ on a Amp, trust me it will make the world of difference. I would go for 2 12's, they give a great sounds no matter what type of music your listening to... jst make sure your box is equal in size if they r gonna share the same enclosure... and tune them perfectly :D good luck, if you have any questions PM us ....MRROLA.... is an installer :)

I agree with mr and ms here, the amp is what really counts, and being sure you match the power of the amp to the sub/subs. Underpowering a sub is almost as bad as overpowering em'. and tune them, and tune them and tune them till your happy they sound just right..... you could have a kick ***** set up bbut not take the time to tune it and then youve just wasteda whole lot of money.

My 2 cents

Of course, and same can be said about having a high end amp and a ****ty sub. Who doesn't know that?

... and LMAO he already mentioned he has an amp!

And seriously why PM for. It's a private matter now is it? Share it here so the rest can learn too.

Edited by Mikey