Wrapping header (toasty warm!)

theDefiant1

http://www.corolland.com/performance.html

"One cheap way to get extra power and fuel economy is to wrap your exhaust manifold/header with heat resistant exhaust wrap/tape.

"When exhaust gases are pushed out of your cylinders to your exhaust manifold, the air surrounding the manifold begin to cool the gases. This cooling process reduces the velocity of the escaping gases and the engine must 'work' to push the gases through your exhaust system.

"Wrapping the exhaust headers with exhaust wrap maintains hotter exhaust gases that exit the system faster through decreased density. Increased exhaust scavenging is produced, along with lower underhood and intake temperatures. I would also venture to guess that my catalytic converter operates more efficiently since hotter gases would elevate burning of pollutants.

"I purchased the exhaust wrap by a company called Thermo Tec from a JC Whitney catalog for around $30. I installed the wrap on the header and a portion of the exhaust pipe leading from the catalytic converter to the muffler.

"This mild enhancement resulted in a 5 - 7 HP gain ... the power surge starts at around 3,000 rpm. I haven't had the chance to monitor the fuel economy gains."

_____

What do you think? Science is sound, but worth the effort? Anyway the 2ZZs get hot and stay hot.

Gains wouldn't be massive I would imagine, but lower underbonnet temps would be a nice welcome. Go get the stocked headers ported, ceramic coated and thermo wrapped while your at it.

If you go with a larger Internal diameter exhaust headers then you would need the insulation to maintain the velocity.

For the $30 its not expensive.....its just a PITA to wrap them up.

Cheers

man i did that today, didnt know about the hazards of fibreglass, if u were to do it, wet it and wear longs sleeves and pants and wear a mask......

This shiet it awful :unsure:

I better get those lil gains or else it aint worth it...!!!!!!!!!!

U can get fibreglass wrap on ebay for real cheap by the way

cheers :idea:

Hiya grey-rolla,

onya for giving it a go! Please tell me if you notice any changes. I know with my stivo that putting a hand on the bonnet after ~30 mins diring is enough to cleave skin; see what the temp is like on the bonnet, along with gains in the engine department.

How much taping did you use, and how much of the header did you tape? Any chance for a happy-snap?

Cheers,TD1

Hahaha i got 10 meters worth from ebay for $50 bucks. I wraped the whole thing then used high grade stainless clamps to hold the wrap together. My headers are abit longer then stock and it took up the whole 10m to wrap the whole header.

I will try take pics and let you know after the headers go in....

cheers

:rolleyes: