lower car first or buy wheels first?

special_interest

1) rims first

2) lower after rims

See if you can meet some people and their cars .. that way you can see what they are running and you can see how it looks, whether it scrapes etc. etc.

Debate! Debate!

No close thread...I want to gee up Dylan and make him narcy > : D

But Dyl wheels have function to them, they are the central point to a cars functionality. Without them we would be driving on discs and underbody...or cutting holes in the floor ala Fred Flintstone with stone rollers.

Ahhaha !! Close thread !! LOL :clap:

I was assuming lightweight performance rims plus lowering, hence my line of thinking.

Lowering on stock wheels looks **** so either go all out or not at all ..

Also remember the car sits slightly higher on larger rims, so you need to take that into consideration if you are lowering first and getting rims later.

tyres provide greater benefit to rims.

If he has perfectly capable rims on there (as all cars do) and perfectly functional tyres on them, why get more?

There is something to be said about the sleeper appearance though.

Ahhaha !! Close thread !! LOL :clap:

I was assuming lightweight performance rims plus lowering, hence my line of thinking.

Lowering on stock wheels looks **** so either go all out or not at all ..

Also remember the car sits slightly higher on larger rims, so you need to take that into consideration if you are lowering first and getting rims later.

assuming he's a noob, he won't be going light weight though... :whistling:

and if the tyre/wheel combination has a near identical rolling diameter (independent of the wheel diameter) why should the car sit any higher?

Ok I've managed to keep Nelson at bay.

Well I pretty much knew how my car was going to sit by doing some research and looking at photos. Taking Northy's car as an example, I now know how low it should be put for it to be perfect, as I'm running the same wheels and tyre profile as him (about 1 1/2 fingers gap from tyre to guard on front and back, although I think corey went a tad higher at the front). The wheels are 17x7 and the tyre profile is 215/40. I'm running coilovers shortly (if anyone bugs me about the date when they are being put in [aka MICK] in this thread then I will KILL you).

:D

and if the tyre/wheel combination has a near identical rolling diameter (independent of the wheel diameter) why should the car sit any higher?

GREAT question, one I am hoping you could answer because once upon a time when mine went from 17" back to 13" (insurance matter etc.etc.etc.) the car was dramatically lower ... no idea why.

GREAT question, one I am hoping you could answer because once upon a time when mine went from 17" back to 13" (insurance matter etc.etc.etc.) the car was dramatically lower ... no idea why.

That is strange. Somehow I think Nelson is involved in that one <_<

cutting spring only for look. performance is key

Lightweight rims and lowered springs (in that order of course) + some konis and camber pins will keep you happy for a whileAh we are getting somewhere ..

Whats your budget ? Someone mentioned coilovers above .. do you want to go all out if performance is key ?

Ps Was kidding bout the spring cutting by the way !!!!!!

I know mine sits slightly higher on my street rims then my track rims because the street rims have 215/45r17 tyres where as the track rims have 205/50r16 so the rolling diameter is slightly larger (about 3% I think)

Lightweight rims and lowered springs (in that order of course) + some konis and camber pins will keep you happy for a whileAh we are getting somewhere ..

that's a great set-up, I sometimes wish I had gone that way instead the noisy coilover route...

i want to lower my car but dont know what is better lower the car first or buy the wheels then lower it. also where can i go in melbourne to get the car lower and how much would it cost? need help coz im a newbie when it come to car :(

Welcome

Firstly, why do you want to lower your car? Is it mostly for looks or is it mostly for better handling?

There are different stages for suspension you need to consider.

Stage1 - Springs alone about $350 installed(Better looks, slightly improved cornering too.

Stage2 - Springs + Shockers, about $1200, much improved cornering.

Stage3 - Coilovers - Track Whore anywhere between $1300 and $3600 depending how cheap you want to

be, not necessary for street, but suitable for track work.

On top of either these you can install better sway bars and strut tower braces/bars.

Personally I think do suspension first. Most people are happy with just springs alone and you can get this done at many suspension places, you can Try Suspension City in North Melbourne or Protech/Bridgestone tyre centre in Oakleigh on Ferntree Gully road.

Whats your budget ? Someone mentioned coilovers above .. do you want to go all out if performance is key ?

my budget is -1500 to get it lower. i want my car to be lowered coz its improve performance looks is a bonus

do suspension does its mean adjusting can u explain more to me.

my budget is -1500 to get it lower. i want my car to be lowered coz its improve performance looks is a bonus

If you put that money towards Springs, Shockers, Front Strut tower bar and Sway bars, you should have a very nice handling suspension package. Some people have gone for d2 coilovers for the same price but there have been issues as per the thread in the suspension brakes section.

By the way - I'm just moving this thread into Suspension/Brakes :D

do suspension does its mean adjusting can u explain more to me.

Coilovers generally allow you to adjust for height as well as damper settings.

But some shockers such as Koni Yellow allow you to adjust damper settings too (Just not height).

if u goto track with your car go coilovers, otherwise get koni yellow + stiffer springs and also some struts and sway bars and etc.

i would lowered first, the stock rims on stivo is not bad, but the ride height is VERY bad, do u have a stivo by the way? depends what car u have, if ya have steelies, than go rims first

Edited by sportiyo