100,000km service - Timing belt change? Corolla 2001

I spoke to a new and what seemed to be very helpful mechanic shop and asked how much to service a 100,000km Corolla 2001. I also asked to get the front brakes replaced. He quoted me $400-500 for the service which seemed reasonable enough and mentioned the timing belt have to be changed.

Now a quick call to my local Toyota service centre and asked for a 100,000km quotation - they said its $175. I asked if the timing belt is changed and they said no. They said its changed at 150,000km :blink:

From my experience with cars, I know 100,000km is generally when the timing belt is replaced. Just like with cheap cars, service intervals is 10,000km and more expensive cars can be 15,000km. For what reason does an average Toyota Corolla have a part that seem to outlast better cars?

Where am I suppose to service the car now? :help:

hey man

i beleive 100kl service should be a major service so $175 is kinda cheap because ive just called for my 70k service to find out much it would be

and i was quoted around $175 >> now i would double check that u got the right price service from toyota

major service for my old honda from a family friend use to be around $300

if the other mechanic quoted $400 for a major service and timing belt that sounds reasonable

double check the price of that toyota service !!

Is your car a ZZE122 or the earlier model??? My car is technically a 2001 model but is a ZZE122.

As per the 1ZZ logbook (if I remember correctly), 100,000km service doesn't have anything major like that.

From memory: oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, coolant need changing. And then there's a checklist of about a million things you need ticked off so say they're ok, or in the event that they're not, replaced.

If your car is the previous model then it's probably different. Perhaps the Toyota people think your car is a ZZE...? Hence not quoting for a major service.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, the ZZ engines use a timing chain...

Edited by Tayles

the model car you have posted pics of is infact a 1zz.... they have a timing chain... and you cant see it cos its behind the timing case... the belt you have posted pics of is your fan and other accessory belt.... also called a serpentine belt ;)

timing chains do not need to be changed unless they are stretched and the timing has jumped.... or one of the tensioners becomes loose and the chain becomes noisy

I know you guys have sorted this out and all but wouldn't stuff like that be listed in your log book. IE what needs to be changed / done at what ever thousand k service?? But seeings though its a timing chain it doesn't need replacing as jade said mayb that's why its not in the book.... Good luck with the service still but hey. And yeah i'd be checking that Toyota service price. I get my corolla serviced by my machanic brother and pay for parts only and that aren't always that cheap... lol.

I know you guys have sorted this out and all but wouldn't stuff like that be listed in your log book. IE what needs to be changed / done at what ever thousand k service??

As per the 1ZZ logbook (if I remember correctly), 100,000km service doesn't have anything major like that.

:whistling: