rev limiter still kickin in early

It's a little similar with the 1zz's I've found. My limiter kicks in bang on 6200 without fail - right on the redline.

But I've seen some others go out to 6400rpm - Just over redline.

i had this problem early doors when i first got my car. took it back to toota and they managed to fix it. however not long after that i had my car dyno'd at a melb meet dyno day. anyway i had the slowest sportivo on the day and didnt break the 98kw output when nearly all where over. anyway i cracked it and took it to toyota and explained that it wasnt putting out what it should be even though it had previously had the recall done. toyota tried to tell my that the car wasnt meant to be pushed to its limits and rev"d out. once i told them it wasnt from the way i drove it and that it was professionally dyno'd with a heap of other sportivos and when i told em what kw mine was putting out and what the average for most of the stivos on the day were putting out. they agreed to look at it properly and see what the issue was.

anyway they came to the conclusion that the ecu was faulty(they think?) and they replaced it free of charge.

i dont think they knew what was wrong at all and just replaced the ecu to see what would happen.

since it was replaced the car seems more responsive revs out properly and seems to have more power than it did prior.

however i havnt had it dyno'd since to make sure.

what im getting at is keep putting pressure on toyota and explain about others who have had these problems and what was done to fix em. sooner or later they will buckle and fix it properly.

toyota are just slack........

this is what iam worry about, so u had the ecu recall done, and its still not making the power it should? could it be that the first ecu recall u had was fake and they didnt actually put the new ecu in and try to save money, because just seems strange that they put new ecu in mine and still have the old ecu's data on it....the first day i got my car back i did feel there was more power, but now its not much different to b4

well funnily enough after the first time they reckoned they did the recall i spoke to a few guys here and was told that id have the recall sticker on the inside drivers door. which i didnt have so i told toyota this and when the ecu was replaced properly the sticker was added.dont know if ya right and toyota were trying to be shifty but if anyones had there car serviced by toyota they know that they try to do as little as possible. my first service cost nearly $200 and straight afterwood i took it to my own mechanic and he said they basicly did nothing didnt even fill my wiper fluid lol how petty.

• 1 year later...

only flashing the rev limiter, nothing else, not lift, timing, ignition, etc etc

I just want to raise it to 8400 (maybe 8500) like the early celicas so I land in lift on the gear changes, and a couple of hundred is cheaper than an entire power fc, and yes, i know I won't get all the benefit of proper tuning.

i'm still waiting to hear, might just be a myth, maybe someone else already knows

whitestivo

only flashing the rev limiter, nothing else, not lift, timing, ignition, etc etc

I just want to raise it to 8400 (maybe 8500) like the early celicas so I land in lift on the gear changes, and a couple of hundred is cheaper than an entire power fc, and yes, i know I won't get all the benefit of proper tuning.

i'm still waiting to hear, might just be a myth, maybe someone else already knows

whitestivo

before i bought my engine management i did a FARK load of research trying to get more info on the possibilities, as the guys down here in Melb at Horsepower Factory have dipped a bloody big toe in that pond.

I searched HIGH and low, (Matrix Owner, New Celica, 9th Gen, Lotus Talk) and no-one had, could, can do it bar Toyota.

so if you can get them to change such a simple thing as the rev limit, i'd be very interested in talking to them to develop the idea further.

my man is inside...

idea is that rev limiter is a fixed , whereas all the others are variable eg lift

he has had success flashing computers before for fixed algorithims, or something like that he said.

so sounds like its remote, will have to see.

whitestivo

They can be reflashed, Toyota Japan hold the ECU software fairly close to their chests though, even the TRD Aurion reflashes required the ECU's to be sent to melb, they wouldn't provide the dealers with the new file to reflash them locally.

Google Kashima in japan, he's successfully hacked/reflashed toyota ECU's up to the AE111's. The AE111 ECU is kind of similar to the ZZE's