Tappet noise

Greenmachine

Hi all. I'm a newbie but am also desperate to find help with my car. I have a 1.3Ltr 2000 model Echo that probably should have been taken care of better since i bought it - it's now out of warrenty and i've got tappet noise, eek! It has missed quite a number of services but i've also done many myself. I fear it may be on it's way out - last Friday my oil light came on and the engine was making a huge tappety racket - i've since used engine flush and changed the oil and filter but the oil light is still on. The tapping noise is still there, though not as loud - thought i may have a valve stuck. Anyone had this problem with their echo? What did you do to fix it? Was it XXX pricey? Freaking out as may need engine rebuild...please help!!!

:(

• 1 year later...

Hi, i have had the same problem at work with an echo. the oil had not been changed very often and the wrong oil was used in the motor. the oil had turned into a mud like substance and required the flush out. the oil light on is the vvti valve which has to be cleaned out and the engine light reset. it will fix it although the problem amy come back, we had to replace the valve altough then the problem sometimes would still come back.