Sound options for the Placebo

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd ask for some input re upgrading sound for the Placebo. Stock sound is ok, but I'd like to upgrade it sometime in the future.

Main problem being the boot is mostly filled by my 2 bodyboards which just fit length & depth wise. On top of that I have a plastic storage container sitting on top of my board bag to put my wet wetsuit, flippers & other crap in when I have finished surfing. So that pretty much rules out a conventional subwoofer. The carpet that runs along top of the bootspace obviously won't hold speakers. However, I guess I could get a solid parcel shelf made up that would support a pair of 6x9's of 7x10's.

I'd probably start by replacing the stock in-door speakers, but am worried about rattling & vibration. To me, sound quality is far more important than being the loudest knobwrench on the road :lol: . The other idea I had was getting a pair of those speakers that bolt onto the bottom of your seat & pass low frequency vibration through the seat simulating the effect of a subwoofer. Not sure of the proper name for them can anyone point me in the right direction :help:

Cheers in advance :)

So what are you looking to upgrade first??

I would go in the following order....

Front Splits (Woofer + Tweeter)

Sound Deadening (cost about 120 for front doors only)

HU (Anything from $300 upwards would be fine)

If you want SQ then forget about the rear speakers, but thats a personal preference thing. Oh yeah, and one thing that you should really do is the sound deadening...its makes a really really big difference.

Cheers

would your bodyboards fit with this in the back?

DSCF1113.jpg

i built this 4 maximum storage space

i recently upgraded my front speakers with these and amped em up...

DSCF1410.jpg

4 me the stock sound was good but when i put these rf punches in, i realised that i needed 2 put the amp setting down to 80db - the minimum setting on my amp, coz it got too loud 4 my liking... but SQ is great! clear az!

So what are you looking to upgrade first??

I would go in the following order....

Front Splits (Woofer + Tweeter)

Sound Deadening (cost about 120 for front doors only)

HU (Anything from $300 upwards would be fine)

If you want SQ then forget about the rear speakers, but thats a personal preference thing. Oh yeah, and one thing that you should really do is the sound deadening...its makes a really really big difference.

Cheers

No idea in what order I would upgrade yet, I guess I'm looking to experienced peeps like yourself for a bit of direction :help: How difficult is it to remove the dash mounted tweeters and front/rear door speakers? Anything I need to look out for? What about installing the sound deadening material?

I guess I would need to plan it properly from the beginning - i.e. what type of setup do I want first before I start choosing make/model of head unit, amps, speakers.

I travel mostly on my own, with the occasional passengers, so looking for a setup that is reasonably loud with good sound quality in the front is primarily what I'm after. That being said, currently I try to tune the stock headunit so you get the "surround sound" effect from the drivers seat, so rear speaker would also be upgraded at some stage (plus probably add the sound deadening to the rear door speakers as well)

would your bodyboards fit with this in the back?

DSCF1113.jpg

i built this 4 maximum storage space

Thats a tight setup :clap:

I'd have to go and measure, but 2 boards in a backpack doesn't leave much room length or depth wise (maybe a couple of inches at the most)

DSCF1410.jpg

4 me the stock sound was good but when i put these rf punches in, i realised that i needed 2 put the amp setting down to 80db - the minimum setting on my amp, coz it got too loud 4 my liking... but SQ is great! clear az!

Too loud?

It can never be too loud :P (says the guy with tinnitus :spiteful: )

when you got a baby in the backseat, you dont want him 2 go deaf b4 the age of 5.

so when hes in the car, the level on the sub goes down to zero.

the RF punches are heaps loud with the amp if i put the level up on it, but its 2 distracting while im driving and i dun wanna attract that kinda attention from people i drive past.

BTW JJCRU23R did you sound deaden your door trims??

Lets put it this way....if you had say $600 to spend on your front speakers.

Spend say $200 on sound deadening and installation and $400 on your speakers.....and they will out perform a pair of say $600 splits by themselves....Its a huge difference.

Check out Car Audio Australia and join the forums, read up on the tutes and your ready set go.

From my point of view and most experienced people (I'm in no way experienced BTW) I would upgrade in the following order.

Front Splits

Sound Deadening

HU

SUB + AMP

AMP (For Splits)

If you wanted it to be loud

SUB + AMP

Thats it...lol

If your really Hardcore then you could also get custom or DIY made angled pods for superior imaging!!

With removing door trims and console I believe there is already a write up on how to remove it....its really easy

Cheers

With removing door trims and console I believe there is already a write up on how to remove it....its really easy

Cheers

Yeah, I think I saw that a while ago when I was having a look around the forum. I guess the point I was trying to make was does removing the old speakers & adding the sound deadening & new speakers risk damaging any part of the interior/trim if you are careful?

Thanks again :)

BTW JJCRU23R did you sound deaden your door trims??

actually no i havent.

1 day itll happen, but i havent even been in a car that has it so i have no comprehension of the difference it would make. although i have read up on it and i know its function and its a sensable thing to do if you want good sound.

ill save it 4 after i finish up my last simester. (this is my last simester already)

promised myself no more mods until my last day of uni!

its not working out well at the moment but yea, when i got the extra cash 2do a little more, then its gonna get done!

DSCF1410.jpg

Wow you got an amp that looks like a dog :P :lol:

How much does it output :P :P

60 Watts RMS

120 Watts Peak