Problems From 1st to 2nd Gear at High Revs

Hi, i heard that theres a problem wiv corolla sportivo gearboxes.

well i just bought a sportivo last week

i have tried putting it into gear from 1st to 2nd at around 7,000 rpms

it either crunches or there is a major delay in getting into gear what can i do , to fix this problem?

and does it happen with other gears or is it just 1st to 2nd gear

Thanks!

Obviously the friction point high enough so when u press the pedal all the way down to the floor full disengagement accurs at the pressure plate, but not too high that the thrust bearing is always rubbing against the pressure plate causing premature wear on the bearing not to mention the clutch isn't engaged 100% due to the fact the bearing is slightly pressed on the forks

Hope it makes sense

Dan

Thanks clutch adjustment sounds about right, what do i tell my mechanic to adjust it to what point

anything specific thanks

The issue is the clutch doesn't fully disengage and drags slightly, thus making it hard to change gears with high load. So as Prozak said the friction point (in the pedal) needs to be raised slightly to give more 'throw'. Hopefully that fixes it.

Also, can you resize your signature as it is too big.

Ive been having the same problem not all the time but on occasion i have already changed the Clutch, Pressure plate and thrust bearing it did fix it a bit but randomly just doesnt want second gear all other shifts from 2nd to third never had a problem just 1st to 2nd my car doesnt like. Is this a common problem...?

thanks

On the topic of friction points. Mines slightly low and changing gears is perfect havnt had a crunch since last august when I did my box and clutch, tho I havnt been driving since then it still gets driven here and there by family..

I might adjust it a fraction higher

Also, a new push rod for ur slave cylinder ( a longer 1 ) will fix it too

Well not to sure if the previous owner of my car adjusted clutch or not, she was an old lady so not to sure but i use to have very bad problems with my gearbox, I just replaced the gearbox oil and added some Lubes to it and my gearbox has been fine ever since ontop that installed a TRD quickshift few weeks later and still great hasnt crunched since i ever done it.

Mick the syncros are more than likely fine

Buddy u need a clutch adjustment cause it ain't disengaging properly, or a new clutch !

good point, i didn't think of clutch adjustment.

aren't the 2nd gear syncro's not great on these boxes though? that is what i've been told.

Mick the syncros are more than likely fine

Buddy u need a clutch adjustment cause it ain't disengaging properly, or a new clutch !

good point, i didn't think of clutch adjustment.

aren't the 2nd gear syncro's not great on these boxes though? that is what i've been told.

Yeah ive been told there hopeless too, but they usually get worn out pretty quick when people dont do the clutch adjusting and put the right oils and still try slam into 2nd gear at 8000rpm

and the other day i went to a mechanic and told the problem. "when i try and change from 1st to second at around 7,500 rpm to 8000rpm the gears crunch and it feels like i cant find the the gear" he looked at me weird and said that i shouldnt be changing gears that high.... WHY would he say such a thing?

RKT - have u got the stock clutch? how many kilometers has it done? clutch adjustment is a temp fix. when i adjusted mine. my full disengagement/start engaging point was pretty high. yet i still crunched/clutch grabbed when i was shifting at high revs from 1st to 2nd.

change the clutch to an aftermarket one helped alot. only crunched the thing once and that was me being lazy -_-

my stock clutch lasted around 120,000kms

and the other day i went to a mechanic and told the problem. "when i try and change from 1st to second at around 7,500 rpm to 8000rpm the gears crunch and it feels like i cant find the the gear" he looked at me weird and said that i shouldnt be changing gears that high.... WHY would he say such a thing?

your average corolla does not rev that high?

your average corolla does not rev that high?

yes but i have a sportivo and he was standing next to the car and he had serviced it before.

the clutch i have is the original and it ahs done 130000 kms, so do u reccomend me to change it?

how much will that cost?

yes but i have a sportivo and he was standing next to the car and he had serviced it before.

the clutch i have is the original and it ahs done 130000 kms, so do u reccomend me to change it?

how much will that cost?

I think you missed the point of my statement there..

Guys , please read up the page and use the information superdave has given as thats what needs to be done. The clutch pushrod will need to be adjusted but also i have changed my gearbox oil and ran a nulon G70 treatment with excelent results. also try firstly adjusting the pedal itself as this can be of significant gain.

yeah i have the same problem and it is really starting to annoy me!!!

does anyone know any good mechanics in sydney castle hill so i can get this done by someone who knows what they are doin??

You should go see any of the mechanics at Castle Hill Toyota, a few of the guys ive spoken to from there own sportivos.

i've been having that same problem an well, just first an second, other gears no worries at all..

it just doesn't seem to wonna get in for some reason an its quiet embarrasing racing some 1 an it crunches in second lol :(

but i got a new clutch an dlywheel orded witch will cost me about 650 installded, witch i reckon is quiet good..

one i do these lil mods, an put better oil in it.. hopefully it should stop the crunching (:

hey just got my clutch replaced with a heavy duty clutch and machined the fly wheel.

my car now stays in lift from first to second and so on!! :)

im so happy if u have the problem of changing gears i recommend u do this!!!

it will solve the problem