Orange malfunction light with CAI

dayve

Hi guys

Me and mates just installed my TRD CAI today. Sounds great. And it seems correct.

However..on the drive home i noticed a orange/yellow "malfunction light" appear on the dash, in the left corner..and doesn't seem to want to disappear. Always lights up.

lam told that when my mate had a CAI put on his wrx..it stayed on for a few weeks because the engine wasn't used to that much amount of air?

any other theories? as Im scared that we may have stuffed up the install?

dayve

You have installed it correctly and have plugged everything in?? I have fitted too many CAI's to remember and never had any light on the dash come on.

check the VSV and the MAF are plugged in as well as the vacuum lines are blocked off.

yeah i was under the impression? the 1zze's dont have any VSVs or anything. I could be wrong

yup the MAF is fine..and its bolted on correctly and wasnt damaged during installation?

i was reading some other toyota forums and other toyota have the same problem wif a TRD CAI.

anyone have this problem shout out! so i know what to do

yeah i was under the impression? the 1zze's dont have any VSVs or anything. I could be wrong

yup the MAF is fine..and its bolted on correctly and wasnt damaged during installation?

i was reading some other toyota forums and other toyota have the same problem wif a TRD CAI.

anyone have this problem shout out! so i know what to do

Is your car drive by wire??? Cause if it is you have a breather that definately needs to be attached. As for 1zz's not having a VSV most of the ones I have done have had them.

the purge VSV does not connect to the intake pipe on a cable throttle 1ZZ.

The error's most likely related to your MAF, reset the ECU and go for a drive to see if it recurrs. If it does, remove the MAF and clean it with electrical contact cleaner and try again. Ensure the o-ring that seals the MAF to the intake is not pinched or damaged.

Worst case scenario take the car to toyota and get them to pull the error code it's flagging, that will tell you exactly what the problem is, but their solution will be "install the stock intake". If your MAF calibration is towards the limits, installing it in the different-diameter TRD pipe has probably put it outside the limits the ECU sets.

thanks for the replies so far guys

I started the car this morning..and no warning light??? IT completely disappeared... :o - I didnt alter the CAI or anything

well I hope it stays that way touch wood.

yes my car is Drive by wire

Is the breather that needs to be attached under the black plastic VVti cover..because we put a small little Monza air filter on a spout there that you buy from supercheap.

If the light comes on again..ill take a few pictures of my engine bay

but thanks for the help guys- hope it safe to drive around in

Is your car drive by wire??? Cause if it is you have a breather that definately needs to be attached. As for 1zz's not having a VSV most of the ones I have done have had them.

quote 'rollamods'

the purge VSV does not connect to the intake pipe on a cable throttle 1ZZ

quote 'dayve'

thanks for the replies so far guys

yes my car is Drive by wire

Is the breather that needs to be attached under the black plastic VVti cover..because we put a small little Monza air filter on a spout there that you buy from supercheap.

If the light comes on again..ill take a few pictures of my engine bay

but thanks for the help guys- hope it safe to drive around in

Rollamods you've overlooked or haven't read the majority of the posts made. :whistling: I don't recall saying the VSV has to be connected to the CAI either but moreso is the VSV connected to the relevant piping. :)