How to behave on the internet

MT

This makes Nelson a troll - do NOT feed the troll!

The sad thing is that Nelson doesn't require feeding. He'll just keep doing it irregardless of what people say or do.

The common trolls you don't feed though yes. Like 351 (aka omn1fail).

Out comes Webster's for the second day in a row - and the results back Rob once more:

(p.674) "irregardless adj. & adv. Illit. Regardless: an incorrect or humorous usage..."

The online Oxford confirms this by explaining the word's origin as "probably a blend of Irrespective and Regardless"

I agree, this probably shouldn't have become a word - but seeing as it has made its way into 2 dictionaries, its etymology is void.

Irregardless holds, Micky...

it may have appeared in the dictionary, but i don't think it should be there. Its a double negative, and there is no point saying irregardless when regardless means the same thing. Plus you save from typing 2 letters, so the new english kids should prefer regardless lol.

it may have appeared in the dictionary, but i don't think it should be there. Its a double negative, and there is no point saying irregardless when regardless means the same thing. Plus you save from typing 2 letters, so the new english kids should prefer regardless lol.

LOL... Dude, I agree with you - but the simple fact of the matter is you said it wasn't a word. Quite clearly, it is :ph34r:

I am now English Nazi!!! (How's that for double negative :P )

Edited by Leroy

What if it's regardless of being regardless?

How long is the universe?

Is Nelson real?

So, in a roundabout way, showing regard? By showing no regard for being regardless?

My head hurts :huh:

So, in a roundabout way, showing regard? By showing no regard for being regardless?

My head hurts :huh:

You are sorta right about it's literal meaning; if you break down its parts 'Ir-' (not), 'regard' (care or consider), and '-less' (without) it would be akin to saying "without a lack of regard". I'm sure you could find a legitimate situation to use it, but theres just really no need to - considering you have (IR)respective and regard(LESS) to choose from - words that this particular word was derived from.

Usually one would say something to the effect of "I'll do this, regardless..." - meaning they'll do it no matter what you think or care.

By using 'Irregardless', one would be stating they will do it no matter what you DON'T think or care.

It is also interesting to note (from what I can gather, anyhow) that it originated only recently, in early 1900's North America. So just put it down to the fact that the Americans have a habit of twisting the English language to match their own dialect (ala dropping the U from colour, replacing S with Z etc) and consequently, American publishers place these words into their own works - giving ill deserved legitimacy to them. :P