96 Lux engine change

RotorMan

Hi all

I have a 1996 Toyota Hilux, RWD, 2.4L 22R.

I'm looking to put a larger horsepower engine in it as it's not really big in that category.

I would like to either put a rotary in it, but I would prefer to keep a Toyota engine in it as I would like it to bolt straight to the original transmission.

And the engine has to be 4cyl as there is no room for 6.

My question is:

What is the best engine for this?

Am I better off rebuilding the 22R and maybe turbocharging it?

Thanks guys

Not sure why you're discounting the 6 as plenty of people have put 1G and even 1JZ/2JZ engines into Hiluxes before. They'll also give you heaps more power than either turboing the 22R or going for a different Toyota 4-banger (either 3S for power or 3RZ from a later Hilux)

There's plenty of V8's installed too, google - you'll find plenty of how to's about. Perhaps you should have bought a Nissan-they have bigger engines. I prefer the Tojo, and am content with the available performance, but I accept that I'm not a typical owner. The Tojo's aren't usually powerful, but they're very common and reliable, even under great abuse. Not many others can claim that. Being common means there's plenty of parts, new and used, and almost every mechanic has some experience with them, partic. in remote areas where a breakdown can be fatal. They have the advantage that they're still simply made & moderately tuned, needing very few special tools or knowledge and near enough is often good enough to make it run, where others might require more precision. Keeping it plain and simple has big advantages should it go wrong, Economic ones too.

• 2 months later...

A common problem with the 2.4 hilux is the exhaust manifold cracking.

Many see this as an opportunity to fit extractors and gain a small power increase.

My 97 hilux has done 338 000 kms and is super reliable , so why change to less reliability with a different engine?

Edited by alan.chalkley