2001 Levin Wagon Fuel Tank Capacity...

Hi everyone.

The topic title says it all, really.

If I top up when the fuel light comes on, I can put in only 40 litres. But the spec I've seen on-line is 55 litres.

So firstly, does my car really have a 55 litre tank?

And if so, why would the fuel light come on with 200 km of range left?

Cheers...

PS: my first post, and my first corolla!

And if so, why would the fuel light come on with 200 km of range left?

Would you want it to come on when you run out of fuel?

There is likely 15L still in the tank.

Would you want it to come on when you run out of fuel?

No I wouldn't. Would you?

Clearly you've misunderstood my question.

I've never had a car that had so much range left in the tank after the fuel light has come on and as I do a lot of country driving, I wanted to make sure that I'd been given the right info about her fuel capacity. My other toyotas have both had around half this amount left when the light came on.

There is likely 15L still in the tank

I know it's likely. I was hoping some one around here would know for sure.

I know it's likely. I was hoping some one around here would know for sure.

You will have 15L left in the tank, unless the fuel tank breather has become blocked and has sucked the tank in.

The information on fuel tank size is also located within the Owners Manual. If you do not have an Owners Manual, they can be found here:

https://toyotamanuals.com.au/

All the Toyotas we've owned (except for the KE55 which had a dodgy gauge, and the JZZ30 which had a scarily accurate digital readout) have had ~10-15L left in the tank when the fuel light starts to come on (it'll fade in and out for a few litres due to fuel sloshing around the tank). In my AE102 (which I've filled up the most :P) the car will start to fuel-starve when going up steep hills or around roundabouts with about 3L left in the tank, and the most I've ever squeezed into it's 50L tank is ~48L (and that includes trickle-feeding through a couple of clicks).

Chances are with a 55L tank you will NEVER fill up with more than ~50L, even if you drive with the fuel light on for 100k. If you fill up when it first comes on (which may not be constant) and you don't try and trickle-feed more fuel in after the first click, 40L sounds perfectly reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a wagon too and drove from sydney to jindabyne snowy mountain on a full tank of 95 ron it was just over 500km, then back to cooma another 100 km with just on the empty mark, i think used more fuel going down than i did going back home, i can remember only getting 40 into the tank though, and also using a higher ron fuel to go abit more in distance, but there are different varibles with getting economy, weight of car , driving style, fuel , good music lol