Sound Like Tappet Noise When Warming Up?

Shane M

I have noticed with my 2007 Aurion sx6 that there seems to be a sound that is like a tappet noise when it is cold. Once it is warmed up to normal operating temp the sound goes, is this normal or engine ware? Does anyone else have a similar experience? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I will try and get something over the weekend. It's not an overly loud noise but one I did notice, as I said it just stops when the engine gets to running temp.

I went for a run in it today. I was a little wrong with the description, there is no tappet sound as the engine idles on start up, in fact it is as smooth as they come. The noise seems to happen as you are driving, as I mentioned before, it is not a big noise and only sounds like a slight tappet sound. Once the temp gauge reaches operating temp it is gone. The car has been well serviced and is in Mickey Mouse condition throughout, with160,000km on the clock. So I'm not sure it's wear and maybe it's just the sound this engine makes till it warms up? Maybe I'm just being anal, I am use to driving a 5 series BMW and they drive very quietly, who knows, guess I just want to make sure all is well. Thanks fellas for the help on this.

• 4 weeks later...

From what people are saying it may be just a warming up issue. As I said, once it hits operating temp there is no noise.

I've a 09' ZR6 with 60,000 on the clock and have been questioning the same for about 3 yrs and yet to get a clear answer.

I have a 2007 Aurion SX6 aswell, but I only have that VVTI rattling sound for about 2 seconds after turning on the car and then the car runs silky smooth, so I don't think it's the VVTI issue for you but I'm no mechanic.