Foot Parking Brake Adjustment

I have recently acquired a 2009 model Toyota Aurion Prodigy, build date December 2008, done 106,000 km. 

Parking brake was not working and badly needed adjustment.

I did my internet research and located the following threads plus a YouTube video

http://www.tcamanual.com/parking_brake_assy-781.html

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/86-sequoia-forum/328341-rear-parking-emergency-brake-shoe-replacement-instructions.html

Therefore, I was expecting a 2 brake shoe setup. What the car has is a one piece brake shoe with the braking material on either side. Rear rotors on both sides slid off easily. On the rear driver's side I was able to use the adjuster. After re-assembly, I then went to the passenger side. The adjuster did not seem to work and expand the component. I then discovered that this one piece shoe assembly just slides off, push up and clear the adjuster at the bottom to remove. All very simple and easy. I then removed the side of the adjuster with the notched wheel expecting to find a threaded section. Not to be, it is a 1 piece. Due to time constraints, I just re-assembled, then later went and adjusted the cable from inside the cabin.

So next Saturday, I am planning upon having a better investigation of the parking brake assembly. I am thinking that the other side of the adjuster has the threaded section or maybe the brake shoe is adjusted from behind similar to early model Hondas with drum brakes. 

Has anyone else encountered the same 1 piece setup and had better results with adjusting the brake shoe?

Thanks for the report Ashley, will be interested in the out come, so good luck..hope it is a simple adjust for you

KAA

Yes, it should be an easy task to correctly adjust the parking brake shoe clearance. I fully expect that if I was doing this adjustment on my 2006 model Aurion, then it would have been as per the manual and there would have been no unexpected issues

I took the rotors off to clean away the brake dust and to check the condition of the brake shoes etc. All good, so no replacement brake shoe/s component/s required.

Also by removing the rotors, I discovered that the BS3216 parking brake shoes as per the Bendix Brake Catalog are not applicable for this vehicle.

This setup is entirely different to what was expected as per the manual. The hole plug on the rotor does not appear to align with any hole on the hub to enable easy access to the adjuster.

Perhaps the parking brake shoe clearance is not adjusted for this one piece parking brake component and you adjust the parking brake pedal travel only or maybe you adjust the brake shoe clearance from the rear.

Be good to hear from someone with a 2009 model or later who has done the parking brake shoe adjustment to share their experience.

Once I have got this sorted out on this 2009 model Aurion, I will give an update.

I did some more research. This is what the part looks like.

http://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/toyota/camry-vista-aurion-1899/gsv40-3744/gsv40l-jetdkv-591577/parking-brake-cable-7406730

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GENUINE-TOYOTA-Camry-Parking-Brake-Shoe-Kit-/181854763764

I am sure that the Australian Camry/Aurion Part number is 04495-06050 for 2006 - 2009 models.

Now just have to sort out the brake shoe adjustment.

Did you get any photos with the rotors off?

I was pretty sure that they were a star wheel adjuster, but I can't remember now.

I will have a look at my workshop manual a bit later.

Unfortunately, I did not take any photos with the rotors off. Yes, there is a star wheel adjuster. Seemed to work fine on the driver's side to expand the brake shoe. Passenger side adjuster did not appear to work, no change.

I had a look at my electronic version of the workshop manual, it showed 2 separate brake shoes with springs, retaining clips etc. It could be based upon the USA model not the Australian model.

Planning upon having another closer look at this passenger side and have plenty of daylight hours to fully disassemble and reassemble if required. 

If it is not adjusting, even with the rotor off, spray a little INOX or similar into the threaded end ensuring that you don't contaminate the shoes at all.

Make sure that you back off the tension at the pedal end before making the rear adjustments.

At the time I did not notice any threaded end and the star wheel adjuster component appeared to be one piece.

Thinking more bout it, maybe the adjuster has been fully threaded in and is stuck. Will take a closer look with a magnifying glass

Certainly will fully back off the tension at the pedal, adjust the brake shoes, then re-tension the pedal.

Also thank you for the reply.

There should be an internal thread to expand the brake shoe. Just wrong footed at the time, probably too fixated on what to expect as per the manual.

Fully backed off the tension on the parking brake pedal then removed the rear wheel, brake calliper and brake rotor on the rear passenger side.

After disengaging the brake shoe, I removed the brake adjuster. After cleaning away the grease, I could then see the internal threads. 

Sprayed with WD-40 then had to use vice-grips and pliers to be able to undo the bolt part from the star wheel tube. Re-greased then re-assembled. On the passenger side, the Star wheel has to be turned towards the ground to expand the brake shoe. 

I also found it easier for me to do the brake shoe adjustment with the rotor off. Adjust, put the rotor back on, check, repeat until brake shoe engaging then back off adjustment by 8 clicks so rotor turned freely with no brake drag.  After refitting the rear wheel, I then re-tensioned the parking brake pedal. 

Parking brake now working.

All in all fairly straight-forwards to do?

I really need to poke around in mine, as I've got one of the dreaded one-way-only park brakes (won't let the car roll forwards, but backwards has full freedom), would be nice if a cleanup/adjustment could change that.
Either way, cheers for your rundown & report :)

It is wise to use an anti-seize compound on the adjuster threads as well. This will prevent them from locking up down the track and make it easier to ajdust.

2 hours ago, LordBug said:

All in all fairly straight-forwards to do?

I really need to poke around in mine, as I've got one of the dreaded one-way-only park brakes (won't let the car roll forwards, but backwards has full freedom), would be nice if a cleanup/adjustment could change that.
Either way, cheers for your rundown & report :)

Yes, straight forward; unless something goes astray. In my case, I think the adjuster was "frozen" or I made it that way by turning the star wheel in the wrong direction. As per usual, always wiser after the event.

Personally, I would start with removing and cleaning the rear rotors to get rid of the accumulated brake dust. I used heaps of brake cleaner spray and was careful about not inhaling when doing it. Check brake material thickness is about 2mm. Re-assemble then check/adjust foot pedal travel.

If you think/know/want to do the brake shoe adjustment, first fully back off any tension on the foot pedal

On my car, I can put the foot pedal on, then put the car into reverse gear (engine is just idling) and the car does not move. Exactly what a park brake should do.