2016 Aurion Touring oil (new environment)

Hello guys,

I find your forum to be very professional and I would like to present my queries to the subject matter but it is somehow different,

Have a look at the attached photo from my Aurion temp.guage.

In my area it is 50 degree Celsius..

I currently use Castrol Magnatec 5w-30, and I am wondering of this is an optimal choice for this very hot 🔥 environment.

Knowing that Ford cars in my area are all using 5w-20 or 5w-30 in their cars, I am not following them or comparing. I know design differs, but just making sure to mention this.

Now I have somewhere in the user manual a chart saying if temp is going high to right direction then use 10w-30 or higher viscosity. I can't judge how practical is this chart.

Need some information and advice guys.

20160815_133227.jpg

Edited by Aurion.owner
Spelling mistake

Sound like you are in a desert region. What is the lower temperature when you start the engine?

I live in a coastal city [min.5 degrees Winter max. 35 degrees Summer] and use a 10W-30 oil with the following specifications API SN/CF and ILSAC GF-5.

Have a read of the following URLs which explain oil selection and oil specifications.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a53/1266801/

http://www.oilspecifications.org/api_eolcs.php

As per the chart in the user manual, I would be considering a higher viscosity oil e.g. 10W-40 with higher specifications to deal with the high temperature.

23 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Sound like you are in a desert region. What is the lower temperature when you start the engine?

I live in a coastal city [min.5 degrees Winter max. 35 degrees Summer] and use a 10W-30 oil with the following specifications API SN/CF and ILSAC GF-5.

Have a read of the following URLs which explain oil selection and oil specifications.

http://www.oilspecifications.org/api_eolcs.php

As per the chart in the user manual, I would be considering a higher viscosity oil e.g. 10W-40 with higher specifications to deal with the high temperature.

Thank you for the reference, yeah I am in Dubai, very hot.

The minimum temp. is 35 all night. Doesn't go lower except in winter time.

I think the dealership uses 5w-40 fully synthetic oil.

Do you think this choice is good enought?

I can't understand why Ford motor company says outside temperature doesn't matter for their cars.

Is the outside temperature Really not a problem for cars? And toyota being just careful about it.

Saud,

Welcome to the forum. Yes we are an intelligent bunch, as we have chosen Toyota Aurion as our preferred means of transport.
Regarding your quiery, I have attached the relevant page from my owners manual (Australian made 2008 Aurion) which shows the preferred grade of engine oil for Australian conditions.
This indicates that grades from 10W-30 to 20W-50 are recommended here for hot conditions.
Another option which could be considered for hot conditions is an external after-market oil cooler and/or transmission cooler to further cool the oil(s)
Others may care to also comment.

Aurion oils.jpg

• Like 1

Looks a good choice to be using a 5w-40 full synthetic oil.

Here are another 2 URLs about high temperature viscosity and high shear rate viscosity for your consideration.

http://www.viscopedia.com/viscosity-tables/substances/sae-viscosity-grades/

http://hddeo.com/hthsarticle.html

Personally, I would be giving careful consideration to those higher viscosity oils with a high shear rate for improved wear protection.

Engine's operating temperature is much higher than the outside temperature. The vehicle's cooling system is going to be more impacted by the outside temperature and its efficiency to cool the engine.

• Like 1

On 16/08/2016 at 2:59 AM, nswnotill said:

Saud,

Welcome to the forum. Yes we are an intelligent bunch, as we have chosen Toyota Aurion as our preferred means of transport.
Regarding your quiery, I have attached the relevant page from my owners manual (Australian made 2008 Aurion) which shows the preferred grade of engine oil for Australian conditions.
This indicates that grades from 10W-30 to 20W-50 are recommended here for hot conditions.
Another option which could be considered for hot conditions is an external after-market oil cooler and/or transmission cooler to further cool the oil(s)
Others may care to also comment.

Aurion oils.jpg

Thank you very much.

I think the oils viscosity here are conventional oil markets unless it is specified Synthetic.

I attached the SPECS of my Castrol Magnatec oil, (meets ILSAC GF-5 SN API. 

after running 8K kilometers the technician checked the oil and thought that I changed it last week, it was clean.

Do You think I still have to move to 5w-40 synthetic oil or this should be about just right choice?

Pics_Art_08_17_01_59_07.jpg

Pics_Art_08_17_02_00_01.jpg

Edited by Aurion.owner

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I think I got an idea out of the Aurion oil chart.

We all know that #W (5W, 10W, 15W or what ever) talks about resistance to flow in Winter, multigrade oils, while the next number lets say 5W-30 ( number 30) talks about oil viscosity grade. Then the Aurion Chart or almost all Toyota Charts says: "Temperature Range Anticipated before next oil change".

So what this basically means is: if you are in Summer with high temperature like me and uses 10W-30, and you are expecting the next oil change would be in Winter time with low temperature range, then you better downgrade to 5W-30 (5W is the important number here) in order to have smooth start under low temperature range.

But the -30 next to #W remains unchanged, this concludes that 5w-30 is perfectly nice enough and works as good as 10w-30 as they both have 30 grade of viscosity.

This is why it didn't matter in the chart if the number with "W" goes higher and higher to the right side when temperature goes higher and higher. While it made a difference when temperature goes LOWER.

Any comments about my findings?

Oil Spec.jpg

Go back to the earlier replies and read again the following URL about how to pick the right oil

If necessary, re-read the article a few times to increase your level of comprehension.

You will need to do this so you will be able to more readily understand some more URLs that I will post later.

4 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Go back to the earlier replies and read again the following URL about how to pick the right oil

If necessary, re-read the article a few times to increase your level of comprehension.

You will need to do this so you will be able to more readily understand some more URLs that I will post later.

Thank you.

Will re-read them again.

After re-reading the link posted earlier in the topic replies, reconsidering more understanding and reading elsewhere, I am able to finally conclude for my specified environment the best option is either: 10w-30 or 5w-40, they are competing with each other.

10w-30 is thicker than 5w-30 and is considered better for hot climate for the Aurion as we talk here. The lowest temperature the cars starts at in my case is 35 degree Celsius, so according to the chart I have to go thicker as the oil thinns due to high temperature and 30 works well to handle hot weather.

The second option 5w-40 is as good as 10w-30 as it possesses cold start 5w to flow faster on cold start and does not run thinner when operating in high temperature as compared to (5w-30), which is the thinner of both.

This is the reason our dealership in SA has chosen to go with 5w-40 all the times.

Great choice.

Looks like you are on the right track.

Main factor is to keep to oil viscosity as recommended by the car manufacturer.   

I concentrate upon the oil specification; latest being SN and GF-5.

Attached document contains more URLs about understanding engine oils and a comparison diagram between the GF-4 and GF-5 specification.

Engine Oil URLs and GR4 GR5 Performance Comparison.doc

• Like 1