Will 225/55/16 tyres fit on my 16" wheels?

Dr J

Hi I want to get some performance tyres for my 2010 ATX and I'm wondering if 225/55/16 tyres will fit the rim? The stock tyres are 215/60/16. My reason for asking is it would make sense that there would be more performance oriented tyres to choose from in this size than the more "bread and butter" 215/60/16... Also what would you recommend as a tyre with good handling and grip characteristics? Thanks

3 hours ago, Dr J said:

225/55/16 tyres will fit the rim?

Yes but always best to confirm with your local tyre fitter.  Following recent thread from the Aurion Forum has a few tyre suggestions.

Personally, I am quite happy to stay with the stock size tyres which I reason are going to be cheaper and more choices/availability than non-standard sizes. There appears to be  more advertised "performance orientated tyres" with lower profiles for the 17", 18" wheels.

Will fit and shouldn't have any negative effects.

You would probably be better off staying with the 215/60R16 and going with something like a Bridgestone RE003. I don't think they have an offering in 225/55R16 though.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I was originally thinking that a wider tyre would give better grip due to a larger surface area and a lower profile would give better handling due to a stiffer sidewall. But after reading a bit more it may not be that straight forward..... 

I have just put my tyre pressure up to 40 psi [temporarily] and have noticed an improvement in the handling. Normally I use 38 psi but have not checked my tyre pressure for a while so it was down to about 34 psi. Admittedly my tyres are fairly new and I mainly do short urban driving.

If you do a Forum search, you will locate the thread and posts of what tyre pressure other members are using. 

• Like 1

And if you take it to a racetrack & do something like an advanced driving or motorsport course that's exactly what they will recommend as a minimum. The main downside will be a firmer/harsher ride but there will be less sidewall flex giving you sharper transition from left to right.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

there will be less sidewall flex giving you sharper transition from left to right.

Exactly what I have noticed. As for the ride, it feels a bit firmer not harsh. Original struts now done 108,000 km and suspension is soft.