looking to buy 1997 camry csi

DrivInGScHool

I have a freind looking to buy a Auto 1997 camry Csi sedan ... just wondering what to look out for ..commen problems as this car has only done 65,000 kms

thanks chris

ohh its a 2.2ltr hmm 4cyl

Edited by DrivInGScHool

I have a freind looking to buy a 1997 camry Csi sedan ... just wondering what to look out for ..commen problems as this car has only done 65,000 kms

thanks chris

65k? hahaha still a BABY! :)

the main problem on most camrys are the suspensions. As they start to weaken/soften, you can hear abit of clunking/squeaky noise. But this is really a simple problem to fix. (replace them and it will be good as new)

Goodluck on the purchase!

Cons (4cyl) Complete and utter lack of power, especially when fully loaded. Still, it'll pull all day long up and down hills, just take a while to get there, manual gearbox is notchier than rusty lock-bolt

Pros: Huge boot, spacious interior, bullet-proof reliability, ability to swap in 3SG(T)E, although you'd want a bit more torque, doesn't look too bad (better to be bland than ugly), some aftermarket support for them

pretty much what hiro said champ :) when you have the 4cyl your more after fuel economy then antythnig else. but you do have reduced power cause in reality it is a 4cyl trying to pull 1500kg worth of car. insurance and rego is cheaper cause it is a 4cyl. You can (with a bit of movement, transfer a 3sgte or even easier is to do a v6 conversion) if you feel the need to have more power. 1997 had the end of the gen3 camrys and the start of the gen4, do you know if its the widebody or the version like mine? <<<

Edited by GCCL

pretty much what hiro said champ :) when you have the 4cyl your more after fuel economy then antythnig else. but you do have reduced power cause in reality it is a 4cyl trying to pull 1500kg worth of car. insurance and rego is cheaper cause it is a 4cyl. You can (with a bit of movement, transfer a 3sgte or even easier is to do a v6 conversion) if you feel the need to have more power. 1997 had the end of the gen3 camrys and the start of the gen4, do you know if its the widebody or the version like mine? <<<

stock as a rock .. this guy doesn't care about mods ... i am just wondering on PROBLEMS not lack of power

Well, my Gen4 had front discs replaced around 150,000km, and now at 210,000 needs a front wheel bearing replaced, though that can just be attributed to general wear and tear. The front discs warped a bit and had been machined smooth once or twice, but I'm not sure if that's a recurring problem in all Camrys.

Most six cylinder Camrys are prone to pinging as well (told by a mate's father who I think heads the servicing of Toyota Vic). But I mean at 210,000km the car's still running well and still gets economy close to 10L/100km (V6).