Advice on Rim and Tyre Size

Sweety

Hi, I'm after some advice from people who have changed their rims and tyres. I own a 2003 camry sportivo and I have been told by a friend that putting 18x8 rims and 225/45/R18 tyres on it would be illegal, an extremely uncomfortable ride and totally stupid.

Anybody out there that can give me some good advice would be great.

Thanks all.

Hi, I'm after some advice from people who have changed their rims and tyres. I own a 2003 camry sportivo and I have been told by a friend that putting 18x8 rims and 225/45/R18 tyres on it would be illegal, an extremely uncomfortable ride and totally stupid.

Thanks all.

Toyota Motorsport make a 19x8 for the Camry and an 03 wearing these does not look out of place (see www.tte.de)

Thanks all.

fuk yr frien!(sorry for being rude)

look at my camry05 on 18x8 235/45/r18. (actually x8 for front, x8.5 for back)

Yes, i was also told that it is illegal, but different police has different opinion, some say if the tyre is out of yr guard, then illegal, some say they cant be 2 inch wider than original rim. It is better u go for 18x7, if u r soo worried. but it is hard to find 18x7, or else are ugly ones... normally are 18x8, unless u get them to special order, like $800 more exp? hrm... yes, ppl says tat bigger rim are not comfy, but tats coz they dont spend enough on their absorber or u call stud?(not sure if spelling mistake)...

my frien in perth, spent $2000 on suspension and get 20inch on camry 05 same as mine, super nice, looks prefect! if i have the money, i will do the same, but $2000 on suspension, compare with $400 on king spring super low? i go for king spring... i m POOR

another issue, if u like cornering and doin stupid thing with yr camry, better dont go straight to super low, although looks good, i had problem with weird sound sound after 2 yrs on front suspension..(need change suspension??) Also when full load of ppl, with 2 woofer, will hv some prob too...

hope this helps u...

yeah, 19 is cool, but i tested and return it the 2nd day, too bumpy and steering was too heavy, my gf said it felt is exercising her arm muscles when driving on 19inch... ;)

dont go for 19, straight 20!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thanks for your opinion, thats great. (I agree with the ***k friend bit :D )

I've already picked the rims, they are ROH Mantis Shadow Crome. The size options I was looking at were 17x7 or 18x8.

Now with your input I am sure to go with 18x8.

As far as I know in QLD its illegal if your wheel sticks out of the guard, but I will look into that more. Also I travel country roads so I had ruled out 19".

Being female also, I'll go with what your gf said about driving on 19" dannywss.

Had a look at your car and it looks fantastic. My 12yr son had a fit when he saw it.

Thanks heaps. :D :clap:

Thanks all.

What state are you in? Check with the relevant road authority in your state, they will all the info on their web sites.

In Victoria, legally you may only go 2" Larger in Diameter and 1" Wider than the original fitment to your vehicle, so for example if you currently have 15x6 fitted (And this is what is on your tyre placard) you can go to 17x7.

Now there is also a bit of a loophole to it but it somewhat of a grey area and open to interpretation as most police will go by the tyre placard fitted to your car, It is, if your car originally had 15" wheels, but other models of your car are available with 16" wheels, then you may be able to fit 18" wheels legally as your shape/model of car has 16" wheels. But like I said this is a bit of a grey area and open to interpretation.

The most important thing not only legally but for your own safety is that you maintain the same or better weight loading. Eg if you're tyre placard shows a weight load of 91, your new tyres need to be 91 or higher as well.

Next most important thing is to maintain the same overall diameter.

Just moving this one to Wheels & Tyres ;)

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=9536

see for what I have on my car , really happy with the set up. King lows on it , would not go lower.

to cover your ***** get new tyre pres/placard info from toyota for about $7 it comes with rims if you order from toyota

part number to-4266106570

and insurance ... mine doesn't care but some might depending on age and rating

i got 225/17 under back gaurds ... 2004 corolla sedan not lowered but fully loaded i tested even driving up on curb ... no rubbing

pretty sure camry would be fine

Edited by DrivInGScHool

most 18z come in 7.5 width actually... i agree with the F friend bit too (jealosy???)...

iv got the smallest camry ever made n i'm riding on 18x8.5 with SOME scrubbing at the back coz i got 1" spacers (too big, i know) so that's like having 18x9.5... so i'm pretty sure if u get 18x7.5 they would fit perfectly... 45 profile isn't too low... i got 35 profile... now that's a harsh ride

but i think 18z would be a little too small for a car the size of yours... i think 18z r too small for my car for G OD's sake lol... go for 20z IF u can... or just run some 19z with 40 or 35 profile rubber

2c

2 ways u can choose, pretty cool looking or comfortable.

pretty cool looking, 225/35/r20, but will rock will u die, and u will ^&%^#%^(*#% all the way driving around... and it must be lowered to super low, or will look shxt..

comfortable, 225/40 or 45 r18, but for sure, the steering is much heavier than original. still must lowered.

changing rim and lowering has to be done together.

d-ice, where did u get spacer? and isnt tat illegal? insurance wont pay shxt if u crash anything...

Edited by dannywss

Guest JDM y0 !

lol im rollin on 14 by 7 pos 8.

soon to be 15 by 8 neg 4... i wanna keep 14s but tyre choice is more limited, plus my new rims dont come as 14 x 8 :(

edit. sorry for whoring the topic there.

with those i inch spacers the car would look even hotter ! O_O but i dont think insurance covers you.. even if they are hubcentric.

Edited by JDM y0 !

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Thanks for the advice on tyres and rims you guys gave me. It took a LONG time but I finally have them on. I ended up getting 17x7 and 235/45ZR17's. I have pictures posted in Members Rides. Now I just need her lowered!!!

Thanks again :P