40K service urgent advice please...

dakota

OK as we speak the 'rollas in for it's 2yr service, it's only done 30000k though. It's a biggish service, fresh coolant air filter brake fluid etc, the car is used only by my wife and she was told $420' ish all up.

it's 10.00 am and they've phoned her at work and told her it needs an" injector service" at an extra $198 !!!! it's not a proper "remove injectors and ultrasonically clean" service, it's something else.

She told them no, but I want (urgently) to get your guys feeling on this, especially pricewise...thanks fellas..

For that I would want brand new injectors. If it not a proper clean then it sounds like there going to flush them with sh!t like wyns.

I would have asked what they thought they needed to do and that way if it is a flush tell them to f@ck off!! If it was more and sounded reasonable then OK. But you should always ask why and then What it is they're goint to do.

Without full details I feel it is very hard to trust the service divisions.

I asked a service manager about the "injector clean" they do for $200, which was spraying a bit of Wynn's injector cleaner down the intake. It's $20ea to have injectors ultrasonicly cleaned, flowed and balanced with new seals if you remove them yourself.

If it is not in the service book, DON'T DO IT! They are bloody ripping us off. Of course its your choice but it is not something detrimental to the car's performance or engine durability. Plus you only have 30,000kms. Save the $200 for something else.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

as ZEEROLLA says, If your car needed an Injector clean it would be in the Service book. And as discussed on the forum before the service reps get nice kickbacks for selling crap like injector cleans to you. And besides how much carbon can build up after only 30,000 km.

Spend the $200 on a fancy restaurant with your wife or make an extra mortgage repayment.

Cheers Guys, all your advice is much appreciated, and Zee and Pecker I think you've summed it up nicely .

I am ****** off because up to now this dealership had done the right thing by us, and I'd recommended it on the board.

I only go to a Toyota dealership because I want ONLY toyota recommended servicing as per the book, and ONLY toyota parts used.

Clearly at only 30k this car DIDN'T need anything extra doing, it's actually getting much better as the kms rise not worse, we hadn't complained of rough running so this seems to have been just a rip for extra cash.

Toyota themselves really need to look at this...........

For those interested in prices the 2yr service (without the dodgey $198 injector clean) ended up as follows :-

Labour $210.00

Parts $128.00

Magnatec $35.00

Misc $14.00

GST $39.00

Totalling $426.00

Rollamods they invoiced as follows......

Oil Filter #TO90915yzze1 $19.84

Plug Gasket TO 9043012031 $1.56

Air Filter TO1780122020 $39.16

4x Plugs TOK16RU11 $16.12

4lts Coolant T00888980086 $41.87

Brake fluid NGABF 050 $9.88

None of the above included GST

How do these prices compare with other dealer service invoices...I think they're a bit rich ??

the only thing you got ripped on was the coolant.

That price is for the post-mix stuff, which makes 8L of coolant, which they do not use all 8L of. But there's nothing you can do about that as they only sell the stuff in 4L bottles for the cars getting a coolant flush.

The price on the filters are at the top end of the range, and there was a price drop on the plugs two months ago where the over the counter cost at the parts dealer I go to is $14ea inc GST for the platinum plugs, cheaper again if you buy in lots of 20

The dealers have to make money somewhere, and it looks like that dealer makes it on their parts aswell as labour.

if you care about your engine you would change your "100,000 km" plugs at 50,000, especially if you drive it hard. That's what I've done with my other car, the plugs do take a bit of a beating and it doesn't hurt to pay $60 at a 50,000km interval.