4A-FE podfilter... exhaust noise?

Hi, Im new here.

I searched the forums but couldn't find anything about what I wanted to know! I have recently installed a K&N pod filter to my car on the end of a 64mm alluminum pipe coming straight off the intake manifold *it does have a bend in it so the pod ends up over near the battery*. Okay my problem is when I sink the boot in, the pod filter makes not a sucking noise its more like an exhaust noise and is really loud. Has anyone else with a 4A-FE engine got the same problem or anyone know of this problem? I just want induction noises not exhaust noises coming out of the pod! Does anyone know how to stop it?

Thankyou very much for your input

Shay

Used to run a a 4a-fe with a pod. Was connected to TB with a silicon hose bit in the middle. It didn't make any exhaust noises though o.0 ! Just a typical pod sucking noise more like.

Do you have a pic of this intake pipe ? Not likely the problem, but you never know =/ a clean filter also produces a different noise (depending on how hard your engine sucks).

Have you heard a car with an aftermarket induction setup?? Cause my friend said that it sounds like an exhaust, except that its in the front instead of the back. CAI + Lift = AWESOME!!

P.S. I know that the 4AFE has no lift, just saying it thats all.

Edited by Suprathai

The setup looks fine =/. The only things i can think of is if it the alu. pipe is knocking against something, or as you said, it could be rubbing against the t/b. Can you install the pod straight off the t/b and see if you get the same noises. Or another option would be custom making another setup that involves somewhat sealing off the pod filter with a cold air feed to it. Less chance of getting defected and you'll get much better performance than just sucking hot engine air.

It should definitely only be a sucking noise though.

Suprathai,

Sounds like an exhaust ? :unsure: i don't think it's meant to sound like that ? Should only be hissing. No i havn't heard CAI with lift but when lift engages though. The hissing should only get stronger as the engine would be taking more air in. I've got mivec (variable valve timing and lift on both cams) along with cai, and it hisses only.

How does VVTL-i work?

The Toyota 2ZZ-GE features different sets of cam lobes on both the inlet and exhaust camshafts for low/medium and high engine speeds. When the engine speed exceeds 6000r/min and the engine water temperature exceeds 60 degrees Centigrade, the ECU activates an oil control valve that pressurises oil passages in the inlet and exhaust camshafts. This activates a cam changeover mechanism on each set of cam lobes which ‘locks’ the cam rollers onto the high-speed cam profiles. The result is that the lift of the intake and exhaust valves is extended, enhancing the engine's 'breathing' and power.

Lift

1. to move or bring (something) upward from the ground or other support to a higher position; hoist.

2. to raise or direct upward:

3. a lemon flavoured fizzy drink made by Coca Cola

4. the fine art of taking a 2ZZ-GE powered corolla over 6000rpm and discovering nirvana

Therefore, the art of landing in lift is either

a. landing in a lemon flavoured fizzy drink made by Coca Cola.... or......

b. shifting gears fast enough to not let the 2ZZ drop below 6000rpm and remain in the state of nirvana

As taken from the TOCAU dictionary and glossary

Have a listen to a turbo or supercharged car with a CAI next time, as their FI nature amplifies what an n/a motor with CAI and pod would sound like.

But i guess it sounds different to everyone due to different meanings attached to words and different setups, ears and likes!

I'll see if i can get a soundclip happening later tonight.

Lol @ TOCAU's definition of lift.

You really do have to hear the 2ZZ with a CAI to believe it... Suprathai explained it perfectly, it's a gorgeous rumble down low and builds into this unbelievably loud screaming and then you're doin 120 in second :o

On a 1ZZ you get lots of hissing and the nice rumble, it's good but not as satisfying <_< :(

I have heard a turbo car with a SRI. Only thing I can hear coming from the engine bay is the turbo spooling (I think) and the blow off valve.

A car with lift/vtec once in 'hi-cam' mode is really something worth listening to. Unless you like the spooling of turbo(s)...which is of course another matter entirely.

Anyways click on the following link if you want to hear what it sounds like, cause thats pretty much how more sportivo sounded like once the CAI was installed.

Link

Cheers

Edited by Suprathai

Really ?? Weird, FI cars tend to suck like crazy. A friend's wrx with APS cai system...around 3-4k rpms, the sucking is louder than his exhaust in cabin.

With my rolla, you can hear the sucking somewhat (boxed off pod) but once the rpms climb, the s/c sound takes over =/ sounds weird to be honest.

I hear hi-cam everyday in my mivec haha, so fun.

That celica sounds not bad, for some reason though, i think stivo's sound better ??? Must be different exhaust and length etc. I've heard the "lift kicked in y0" clips on youtube, and the 2zz in high cam sounds fantastic! Heard Daz lift past me a few times too lol.

(sidenote: i've heard lift and vtec from a teggy S from a street away, 2zz sounds much better to my ears).

Rolla94,

Any luck yet bud ? Sorry, didn't get a chance to get a sound clip of my cai tonight though, i'll try tomorrow.

Hey man cheers for the sound clip of yours... mine sounds like that when its just idling and easy revving but once you sink the boot in it just makes this almighty burrrrrrrrrt noise not a shhhhhhhh sucking noise if you get what I mean hahahahaha ill see if i can get a sound clip of mine going, *booted* so it'll be wat it sounds like in the car.