TRD CAI is fine with Toyota

Hey Guys,

I know theres been alot of people worried about if there TRD CAI will void there original car warranty.

I just purchased my corolla few months ago, so i was worried ill lose my warranty installing the CAI.

So i emailed Toyota Castle Hill regarding my problem, and got a reply.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my email

I just purchased a brand new corolla, and happen to stumble accross your trd parts section. Regarding the CAI , if i buy it and install it will this void my 3 year factory warranty ? email bsarathy@gmail.com thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your enquiry.

Fitting the TRD cold air intake will not void your warranty, providing it is fitted correctly. We can fit this for you $132.00 fitting charge.

Regards

James Sloane

Castle Hill Toyota

2 Victoria Ave

Castle Hill NSW 2154

Ph: +61 2 8831-8831

Fax + 61 2 8831-8820

www.chtoyota.com.au

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feeel reallly relieved now :yahoo: .

Thought id share this information.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you need to get a written statement from someone like the national warranty claims manager, as ultimately it's him that makes the call on the big claims like Northy's motor.

what happen to northys motor ?

but surely to make a warranty claim for the engine the only thing that needs to stuff everythiung up that is caused by the cai is water going into the engine

right ? and the probability of that is low due to the discussion on the other post that as long as u dont drive in lakes riverrs swamps or puddles and as long as u have ur plastic thingy majic under neath the car AND the front foglight cover then ur pretty much well safe .... RIGHT ? ?LOL

if thats the case then i dont see n e problem ....

btw

if water does get into the engine and stuffs up the engine can that be fixed ?

and also .. having said that that guy is just trying to get business... rollas has a hard "typed" evidence of the guy that gave clearance.. so if any problems he can complain saying that this "james sloan" guy gave clearance and he has evidence.. :D would that work ? but obviously this would prolly be only be useful to him so kinda uselss to others ?

Edited by phoboi

In relation to this topic i have sent an email to cannon toyota camberwell

i ask a question about my drivers seat and also about the CAI situation (i dont have one yet...will if allowed under warranty :) )

have spoken to guy....real nice.....he has forwarded the email onto someone higher to get an answer hope to hear in a week or so

cheers

will let all know of result

Hi Vince,

How are you, you may remember me, Simon I got my sportivo serviced a few weeks ago and am a member of the Toyota Owners Club Australia (TOCAU). Once again I would like to thank you for the exceptional servicing of my car including the clutch adjustment, both price and service were brilliant. I was just wondering, my front drivers seat leather is “stretched” now im guessing I must have a bony bum as where both “bum” bones make contact with the seat it is stretched and once you get out of car it remains stretched, this has only occurred since I have owned the vehicle (dec 06) I know previous owner was prob pushing 95 kg and dispersed his weight more evenly over the seat where as my 77kg is dispersed on two distinct spots. My uncle is a automotive upholster and I know it can be temporarily fixed with a little water and a hair drier to “shrink” the leather (can only be done afew times and is not a proper fix, I would not like this done as can “burn” the leather)…., the seat should not stretch like this…a member of TOCAU had the same problem with Toyota re upholstering that section of the seat. I know it sounds a little meticulous and un important but it just looks ugly and I like my car to be spot on what would the process be to get this rectified.

On a separate note my car warranty expires in Dec 08 and I would really like to get a Toyota Racing Development (TRD) cold air intake (CAI) for the vehicle, I was just wondering how this goes with warranty, if I were to get a TRD CAI and have it installed by you guys at cannon Toyota would it then be deemed covered under warranty, if you could provide me with info on this it would be great

Cheers Vince,

you have modified your car and thats all toyota needs to knock back your warranty...and lets face it what are you gonna do? I blew up my engine and had to buy a new one from toyota. I also had to wait for the national warranty claims manager to look over my car. It was the dealer (who would get paid to do the work) who initialy said bring it in and it should be a warranty job, the national warranty claims manager took one look and said nope....

you have modified your car and thats all toyota needs to knock back your warranty...and lets face it what are you gonna do? I blew up my engine and had to buy a new one from toyota. I also had to wait for the national warranty claims manager to look over my car. It was the dealer (who would get paid to do the work) who initialy said bring it in and it should be a warranty job, the national warranty claims manager took one look and said nope....

Surely though....not to disregard your warranty issue....if i were to get in writing on a camberwell toyota letter head a statement claiming that they would install a TRD CAI on my car and that it would not void warranty that would be enough to cover your a$$ ?..... therefore if something did go wrong it would be on the dealer who falsely signed the document stating all is still under warranty.....a signed letter stating warranty still intact with modifcation should be enough to take the emphasis off ones self when the blaming begins to occur....your arguent could just be that " i went through the right channels and wrote an email requesting clarification on this issue....***** toyota dealership stated in writing that this would be fine so i went ahead with it.........obvioulsy the problem has occured through toyota heirarchy and the dealership not taking the matter to a higher authority for further clarification....etc...............and if this failed........... i would ring up today tonight and get the story out there :spiteful: lol

but in the end i really beleive that a CAI (unless someone can correct me) is never going to have any negative effect on your vehicle that would warrant a claim.....as long as installed correctly, treated with respect (puddles....driving in typhoon) etc all should be good.....just that wonderful sound (that i have only heard of, not yet experienced :( ) of hitting lift witha CAI is what shoudl occur.....and some minor hp gains

cheers

my post-3050-1181777847.jpg

in the event of requiring a large claim (engine etc) if it was somehow caused by the CAI, the dealer would have to fork out for the costs themselves if Toyota HQ deny the dealers claim and you have a letter from the dealer stating it's covered by Warranty.

yeah can only hope that the reply in the next week is its OK to do it.......would be great.......there would be a flood of people looking to get it done and get the peiece of paper stating ok etc....id laminate it and put it in a safe place lol

:yahoo:

If I recall correctly, I too spoke to James Sloan at CHToyota, with Mish beside me when he told me a professionally installed TRD CAI will not void the engine warranty.

He is the head of the parts dept at CHT, so I imagine his word would have to count for something. And anyway, surely if Toyota sells it officially and offers intallation, then they are solely responsible for any issues that arise from it.

If I recall correctly, I too spoke to James Sloan at CHToyota, with Mish beside me when he told me a professionally installed TRD CAI will not void the engine warranty.

He is the head of the parts dept at CHT, so I imagine his word would have to count for something. And anyway, surely if Toyota sells it officially and offers intallation, then they are solely responsible for any issues that arise from it.

so they guy selling the parts to you says its ok...mabey you should ask the warrranty people.

so they guy selling the parts to you says its ok...mabey you should ask the warrranty people.

i dont think it really matters about asking the warranty people (not our job).....that is the job of the toyota rep you speak to and their heirarchy of command..... As far as an owner goes all we should have to do is ask the place we bought it from...its upto to them to cvover their own a$$ and pass the info up the chain of command (as cannon are currently doing) if a sales person / service centre manager is happy enough to sign off on a piece of paper with letter head affixed etc then that should and most prob would be good enough for any owner to fight toyota if it were to come to that (worst case, they are at fault...misleadign information..false info) as i previoulsy mentioned....you as an owner have then done everything expected of you prior to making the modification, with that piece of paper, the paragraph or two on it and a signature from a toytota sales rep / service manager i would feel safe enough to go with the install.

once again another post-3050-1181784448.jpg

I have never heard of a problem with the 2zz engine and a TRD CAI. I'm guessing if something did go wrong with your engine, it most likely wont be a result of the CAI. But Toyota may blame it anyway cuz its easier and cheaper for them, so you may need an independent mechanic report on your car.

asking the question to castle hill to see if i get same response

really interested in this case now....i really want a CAI and no voiding of warranty :)

Hello,

My name is Simon Berton and I was just wondering about getting castle hill Toyota to install a TRD cold air intake onto my 2005 corolla sportivo. I will definitely go ahead with this install and get it done by you guys, I just need clarification (in writing) that this will not void my warranty. From friends and other Toyota owners there are varied responses on this situation. Im guessing that as TRD is an official Toyota company and if I got it fitted by Toyota technicians there should be no qualms with this modification affecting my warranty.

If you could please give me insight into this it would be great

my opinion is if you want to put cold air on your car then put it on.......and as far as i no in regard to the warrenty even if it does void the warrenty it is only for that part not the whole thing e.g i'm getting genie headers made up for my sportivo and it will only void the exhaust part of the warrenty.......

yeah true, but i can guarantee if the engine happens to die and you have a CAI hanging off your engine first thing toyota will try and do is blame it, as it allows air straight into the engine etc....they could blame water, foreign objects (dont see how) etc......i just believe you are wide open to blame having a CAI on your car...its like ppl not having ambulance cover and car insurance....or even just thrid party.....thats living life on the edge in my mind....a 25000 car may be voided for a 300 $ part.......id want assurance that there is no way the CAI could void out warranty on the one part (engine) that i would want covered....dont give a rats about many other parts as none (to my knowledge) are as expensive or have a single mod change that coul be blamed for thier demise...........so stating that it only voids the warranty for the part it replaces i dont think in this situation only means the air box......they would take it as the delivery of air into the engine and the follow on effects from it and any problems that may occur.

i just believe that toyota would immediently look for a mod and blame it....poor old CAI would become the scapegoat

cheers

....i hope im wrong on this matter and would love to be proven wrong......bit sceptical though....I WANT A CAI AND WANT IT UNDER WARRANTY......is it too much to ask

:):)

I'm by no means arguing, BUT the Toyota Warranty guys would still have to prove unequivocally that the modified part in question was the cause of the warranty issue; they can't simply use it as a scapegoat part.

Isnt this fun?! Using the letter of the law to defeat the spirit...

hahah yeah true mate......i agree with what you are saying....there is no way if you, me or anyone was told that it was the CAI that you would just accept this.....you would bring in another mechanic to investigate.....so when you think of it this way there prob isnt any problem to worry about with installing a CAI even if it does void.....im prob just too much of a wuss to go ahead with it as knowing my luck it would be me that was made the example lol.....

def no argument...guess im just playing devils advocate

in real life im a positive and optomistic person :).....just want to know where i would stand in this situation if it went that far

cheers

I'm by no means arguing, BUT the Toyota Warranty guys would still have to prove unequivocally that the modified part in question was the cause of the warranty issue; they can't simply use it as a scapegoat part.

Isnt this fun?! Using the letter of the law to defeat the spirit...

no they dont, they would have 100's of pages of legal docs that say they can deny warranty on pretty much anything they please and unless you have deep pockets to fight it you loose.