Aurion Radio panel

Paul P

I really only have one real problem with my Aurion.

Does the brightness of the radio panel bug anyone else at night? We have taken to laying a piece of fabric over it on long drives as it fatigues my eyes too much.

If anyone has an idea on how to tone it down, I'd be very happy.

Apparently the techs at the local Toyota don't know if a way.

I really only have one real problem with my Aurion.

Does the brightness of the radio panel bug anyone else at night? We have taken to laying a piece of fabric over it on long drives as it fatigues my eyes too much.

If anyone has an idea on how to tone it down, I'd be very happy.

Apparently the techs at the local Toyota don't know if a way.

I emailed Toyota about this issue and i got a response along the lines of "We are aware of customers reluctance to accept this feature, and are working on a solution to dim the lighting"

They were not able to provide details of when a solution would be available.

At least they are working on it.

Hello my name is Ben I'm a service advisor at Toyota.

After recently taken an Aurion home to test for 1 night, I share your same opinion.

The solution to this is to tell the service department to order you a replacement fujitsu model. I can't remember if the original system was Fujitsu model or not. But that model the light is dimmer and not as bright. The only downside is that if its daylight you won't be able to see it, not that I noticed much difference.

Hope this helps

Edited by Ben_Yu

After recently taken an Aurion home to test for 1 night, I share your same opinion.

The solution to this is to tell the service department to order you a replacement fujitsu model. I can't remember if the original system was Fujitsu model or not. But that model the light is dimmer and not as bright. The only downside is that if its daylight you won't be able to see it, not that I noticed much difference.

Hope this helps

The light should be wired to the common light dimmer unit as all radios have this application at the rear wiring....if this has been neglected it would be a simple issue to splice said wire to the dimmer power. The actual power to the sound system unit is seperate.

Hope this helps

The light should be wired to the common light dimmer unit as all radios have this application at the rear wiring....if this has been neglected it would be a simple issue to splice said wire to the dimmer power. The actual power to the sound system unit is seperate.

Yes it sounds simple, but really I don't know about other dealerships but up here, we just replace the whole unit, if its faulty we replace it with a new one under warranty.

If you have the Sat Nav then it is not too bright.

Otherwise it is alot brighter than any other car I've driven in. They should organise a dimmer for this much like you display panel.

Have spoken to Toyotal dealership regarding the matter and they have made note of it.

It's not a major issue just a little annoying a suppose. I never had a test drive at night - who does.

• 3 weeks later...

I must say I was very surprised the first time I drove my new Aurion at night. That panel is way, way too bright. It lights up the interior of the car. I make a left turn into a shadowy street each morning (I go to work at 4:30 am) and have to hold my arm up to shield my eyes because I can't see. It's nice to read I'm not alone.

Of course I first pawed around for some type of dimmer (which isn't there), and last week starting looking at which fuse might be pulled. Unfortunately, there are too many items grouped together from what I can tell, so pulling a fuse would disable a bunch of other things.

I have yet to go in for my first service. I'll see what Toyota has to say about it. More importantly, what they plan to do about it.

While unrelated, the car has a nasty interior rattle (dash board?). Combined with some other nits, I'm not real happy with Toyota quality and design this time around.

Noel Wiebracht

Brisbane

Toyota got back to me with the following...

We refer to your email enquiry received by Toyota Customer Relations on 25 June 2007, and we would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments in relation to the audio system illumination in your new Aurion. It is feedback such as this that enables us to understand the true situation in the market place and what is important to customers.

We have taken your comments on board and have forwarded your letter directly to our Product Management Division, who collate all such material for consideration when any model is under review for design and/or specification changes.

We can confirm that that Toyota Motor Corporation Australia is currently working on a fix for the issue of bright illumination in the Aurion. When the details of the proposed fix have been finalised, Toyota will notify all dealerships within the Toyota network. We therefore suggest that you contact your preferred Toyota dealership, and advise them of your concerns about the audio illumination. When the fix issue becomes available, the dealership can contact you accordingly and arrange to bring your vehicle in.

We thank you for taking the time to write to Toyota and bringing your experiences and concerns to our attention as well as offering us this opportunity to respond. Your contribution is invaluable to us as it assists us immensely on our constant quest to improve our vehicles and services.

If we can be of any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Good work Paul,

Just a side comment.

A friend installed a mobile phone kit a month ago. He had the console, clock with vents + the radio out in less than five minutes. I was impressed anyway. He mentioned that the wiring loom and Toyota havn't changed there colour coding in years. After that he mentioned thst the dimmer wire was not there (the hole next to the yellow wire). Now I'm not 100% sure whether he ment the radio panel dimmer of the plastic surrounding the radio.

Maybe we could approch Toyota that this is a safety issue, Noel sounds like he has one ? I live in a new street Noel, and I think they skimp on 40 watt street lights so it's very dark too.

Adrian