Light Flywheel

imek

I read some of you have lightened flywheel installed.

I'm gonna buy Fidanza for my T-Sport.

The question is - it was designed for Celica 2zz-ge which is 100 kg lighter than stivo or CTS.

Do you think the 100 kg difference will make it even harder to launch from 1st? Or it is negligible?

Well all I can say after driving my Sportivo with the TOMS Lightweight flywheel & TRD Clutch is WOW.

The car is actually more driveable believe it or not. The car launches very easy and builds revs very fast. Revs don't really drop any more than usual under gear changes and the new clutch & cable are great, no sticking, no grinding just smooth.

The clutch itself takes up as soon as you move it slightly which does make for a great gearchange.

The flywheel has really smoothed out the engine. Under acceleration it is extremely smooth and builds speed very quickly. Even the engine note has changed. Under high revs it just purs. As you aproach the rev limit in 3rd instead of the engine sounding a little strained it is instead sounding silky smooth.

Throttle response is instant and when you put your foot down from pretty much any rev in any gear the car responds by pushing you into your seat.

Any neagatives, just one. The car sounds a lot different cranking over on startup, much like having a buz saw under the bonnet and people look at you funny. Once started though only positives.

This is a mod I would definately do again without hesitaion. The car sounds better, rev's out a lot better and is much more driveable. This has become my favorite mod so far :D

hey ilivfor6,

Its great to hear that it really is THAT much better :D

I'm more than interested myself, can you tell me 2 things?

1. Is the clutch much heavier?

2. I know this can vary wildly, but roughly how much for install?, and would you recommend anyone in melb to do the work?

Thanks in advance.

I sat in TOMS02 (Ilivfor6's car) the other day, that THursday when Marcus took it to Glen Waverley :) tried stepping on the accelerator, the revs build up really quickly :) I want one for my car.

imek: I don't think it matters that the flywheel was designed for the Celica. It's the same engine, same gearbox, so it should fit straight in.

imek: I don't think it matters that the flywheel was designed for the Celica. It's the same engine, same gearbox, so it should fit straight in.

I know that. What I mean is Corolla is 100kg heavier than Celica, so need even more momentum to start moving.

hey ilivfor6,

Its great to hear that it really is THAT much better  :D

I'm more than interested myself, can you tell me 2 things?

1. Is the clutch much heavier?

2. I know this can vary wildly, but roughly how much for install?, and would you recommend anyone in melb to do the work?

Thanks in advance.

The clutch is only slightly heavier than standard, barely noticeable. The main difference is you have a lot more feel through it and the take up point is instant which makes it an absolute delight to use. I have been practicing my changes and now that the gearbox is silky smooth to use I am getting much faster/better. Today for probably the first time getting on the freeway I kept it in lift all the way into 4th. My G@D was it quick and the gear changes sounded sensational :D :D

As price for install go I had Toyota do the install. For the clutch & flywheel it cost me $300.00. As it was Toyota I feel this was very reasonable. I used them because all the mechanics I use to trust have all disapeared so I used them because at least they have all the books on the car and have all the torque settings etc. Besides the guys there don't consider these 2 items a performance mod and they are right althought the car is quicker the real benefit is just how much smoother/better it is to drive.

Imek, I can't tell you anything about the Fidanza clutch but I can tell you that the flywheels from TRD & TOM'S are the same item for both cars. These respective flywheels are made for the 2ZZGE engine - not the car.