Custom CAI 4 MCV20

Mr Kluger

In the process of simple DIY engine Mods...

well... to date i have installed:

- K&N hi flow panel filter (fits stock air box)

- twin Hiclone (Air Swirl devices) into intake according to instructions check out www.fuelsaver.com.au

so now the big question of CAI...

was thinking of some how running plastic flexable tubing (bought from autobarn approx $35) from bottom of air box down and around (under battery) into front bumper (passenger side blinker light) ... and then???

hmm...well either cut a hole in the front or at the side to create a air vent similar to the old 'mr2' style air intake... ive heard from a mechanic that having the intake facing the front will force too much air into the throtle body and since it is not supercharged or turboes (not yet any way...) there is no air regulator to stop it blowing more air than needed into the intake valve in the engine cyclinder :blink: sounds like he made it up...to discourage me putting holes in my car...

Confused?

i am?

I always thought more air was good air and although just a normally aspirated 3.0L efi im sure that it would "breath easier" with the cold air duct put in place...

can any one justify this theory... if yes i would mount the intake on the side of the front bumper using two gaskets and a mesh cover... (probably do both left and right sides leaving the drivers side for decoration....)

seeing that it is a hobby project there is no end to the list of mods that i want to do to my machine :spiteful: ...

but here are a few that have crossed my mind...

in future:

- custom sports hi-flow twin exhaust,

- lowered suspension package,

- white 5 spoke 17' rims (still looking)

- if available... headders / extractors,

- supercharger (which i am having trouble finding a guy to supply and fit)

- oh yea... still gotta have that sunroof!

Cosmetic Mods To Date:

- Phillips Diamond Vision 5000K xeon gas H4 low beam/high beam combo

- Phillips Cryatal Vision parking lamps and DRL/fog lamp H3 replacements

- Hidden Rear Fog Lights intergrated into unused Rear Brake Lamps

- Custom Plates DJ-0888

- Red Gloss Calipers

- TRD Stickers & Badge to replace Advantage Sticker

- Tint-conditioning 35% Tint... will change it later...

- Rolla Roof rack and Bike carrier system

Audio Mods To Date:

-Pioneer TSA front 6x6 4-way

-Pioneer TSA rear 6x9 3 way

-Pioneer DEH-9850BT (with 5V preout)

-Pioneer 306C Sealed 12' Sub

-Pioneer GM (something something) Mono Bloc amp

-Jaycar 1 farad capacitor

other electrical mods To Date

- 12v accessory plug in boot (on/off switch) powered from capacitor

- ultra sonic reverse sensors...$65 kit at jaycar... really good!

- DIY fog lamps using custom mounting brackets (cut section out of bumper) relayed to parking lights...

- engine light (using my old corolla blinker) relayed to accessory... weather proof on/off switch

Any help much appreciated!!

Thank you in advance ;)

Happy Modding

Edited by DJ-CAMRY MCV20

I got a 99 V6 Camry and I pulled out my air box and drilled holes in it, ran a flexi hose from the airbix down into the front bar, it kinda sticks out a bit on the bottom plus added a K&N panel filter. Its helped, its more lively and the throttle is more responsive. I also removed all the air resonators. Mixed with a 2.5" cat back exhaust and a cannon. It gets up and goes, plus at high rpm it gots a nice suck noise to it

I did a SRI on mine and that was a waste it gets heat soaked a little bit and gets real sluggish living in Cairns doesnt help either. CAI havent really done except for what i got now.

Out of interest those hyclones has it done anything for your car yet. I got mixed opinions, some peoples swear by them and others say there crap. but the ones that say there crap have never actually tried them.

Edited by BlindEyeSight

Those cyclone or any other metal sheet thing dont do crap! waste of $$$ just the same like the Stabilizer box n fuel magnets.

---------------

back to the topic....

I did my custom CAI from an exhaust shop. they did a perfect job! I Love it :D

You could do what BlindEyeSight did! :P

Edited by leasaunce

Thanks for the CAI Info Guys... hmm... replace the resonator box with a straight through piece of flexi tube... hmmm... any one know if it will be legal?...

Also thinking along the lines of BlindEyeSight's set up for CAI... still trying to find out if is it legal to drill a ventalation hole into the side of the front bumper cover it with gauze and connect the flexable air hose to a gasket holder (then also put a little blue led tube and run wires to parking light (relayed) :lol: )

If legal will start drilling holes on weekend... will remove plastic covers from inside passenger front wheel arch and have a further look...

PS... the hiclones were installed only a few days ago... it says to give it 2 weeks for the ecu to recalculate air flow fuel mapping before passing judgement... i dont want to dismiss the placebo effect as performance enhancing... only the fuel gauge will tell i suppose...

This is my CAI. I'll take more photos later....

Looks heaps good dude

- white 5 spoke 17' rims (still looking)

Sounds similar to mine and a few other members. HR Racing HR125, just a simple 5-spoke design and you could pick up a set for less than $900 new.

f_DSCN4484m_6528992.jpg

This is my CAI. I'll take more photos later....

2062019_115.jpg2062019_76.jpg2062019_77.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_image...19_115_full.jpg

^for a larger pic

Nice CAI... umm did you have to get an engineering certificate... and where did you put the air temp sensor... first little round thing you can see if you look inside the air intake chute with 2 wires in it... ;)

you'll find it's located in that pipe with TRD on it that just comes off the throttle body

Cheers....

Ooh btw ... is that a real bonnet ventalation scoop? i have seen many stick on varieties... and know it is always unnerving to cut holes into the bonnet... but if it keeps the air flowing im sure it has purpose... plus it mas a mean look about it too... nice wheels too ;) (blind eye sight)

its pending a hole :P.... Im goin to have it properly molded in. atm the moment its only looks ( stuck on)

looks potent... :spiteful:

what other simple mods do you reccomend, Err..Russel?

Heh Heh nice pic in Camcrew website... what wheel size / suspension set up did you go for?

Edited by DJ-CAMRY MCV20

I put her on 17" advanti medusa's (235/45zr17 i think the size is). then lowered it with King lows and monroe gt gas struts. atm Im lookin at gettin strut braces and swaybars to give it a little more of a lively feel to it.

I dont recommend anything :P But Ill tell ya what ive done.

So far all ive done is open up the breathing on her. taking out all the resonators on the intake, drilled holes in the airbox(underneath the filter :P), put a flexi hose from the air box down to the front bumper. On the exhuast I only got a 2.5" cat back with a straight thru muffler . I only changed the muffler and drilled holes in the airbox the other weekend, and just in doin that there was a noticeable difference, my mate helped me and he was impressed at how much a difference those little mods did.

Next mods are ECU piggyback and maybe injectors.

Im goin to assume you got my name off CamCrew <_<

But CamCrew has been down lately....... How ???

I put her on 17" advanti medusa's (235/45zr17 i think the size is). then lowered it with King lows and monroe gt gas struts. atm Im lookin at gettin strut braces and swaybars to give it a little more of a lively feel to it.

I dont recommend anything :P But Ill tell ya what ive done.

So far all ive done is open up the breathing on her. taking out all the resonators on the intake, drilled holes in the airbox(underneath the filter :P), put a flexi hose from the air box down to the front bumper. On the exhuast I only got a 2.5" cat back with a straight thru muffler . I only changed the muffler and drilled holes in the airbox the other weekend, and just in doin that there was a noticeable difference, my mate helped me and he was impressed at how much a difference those little mods did.

Next mods are ECU piggyback and maybe injectors.

Im goin to assume you got my name off CamCrew <_<

But CamCrew has been down lately....... How ???

Was google searching CamCrew and Blindeyesight (and great car pic sitting on front lawn) came up in one of the june get together group slide shows... the website is down but you can still access alternative pages... some how...

Cheers!

David ;)

yeah, what happened to camcrew?

At the moment we're still looking for a new server, but for the moment we have no new news :)

Have all the past threads been lost?

But yeah, thought I'd come over here to see if I can find some familiar folks :yahoo:

I'm enjoying the drilled holes in my airbox and the louder induction sound haha :whistling: