So, I'm getting my suspension...

alarum

I've organised to buy KYB's for the front and matched up with King Springs... I'm excited! No longer will my car feel like a rubber ball! (I can think of no better analogy)

And down the track I'm going to fix the rear up =)

Question is, the guy from Wholesale Suspension has offered to lower the springs for me... should I do it? And if so, how much? Keeping in mind it's only for the front

Cheers!

- Brad

I just installed front and rear KYB onto my 99' Camry last week, it works much better than before, steering is lighter but smarter. KYB is a really good quality Jp brand, that's why i selected it. Overall I just replaced with shock absorbers w/o change coil/spring. In ur case, if you only replace front shock, you would not need to change ur coil even lower it.

Lower only front will cause you lost of balance for ur steering and driving stability.

Thanks for you reply, jbjb!

Yeah, I don't think I'll go lowering for now... but I'm convinced something is erky with my suspension mounts because I'm getting crunchy noises, so I'll get that checked out when we've got the wheels off and we can have a really good look at the previous suspension!

I had a TR Magna and I replaced the suspension in that with Munroe Sensatracs / King Springs and that was pretty good; I'm looking forward to using something else!

@jbjb,

Were you saying if I'm only replacing the front struts that I don't need to replace the springs?

I want to replace it all so there's no one weak part, and have to replace it just as quick!

Thanks for your input, though.

Got some prices, it's going to be $330 for the KYB shocks, and $155 for the springs.

I should go to Super Cheap and get the springs for $140, but I'll see if Wholesale Suspension can match the price =)

@jbjb,

Were you saying if I'm only replacing the front struts that I don't need to replace the springs?

I want to replace it all so there's no one weak part, and have to replace it just as quick!

Thanks for your input, though.

Got some prices, it's going to be $330 for the KYB shocks, and $155 for the springs.

I should go to Super Cheap and get the springs for $140, but I'll see if Wholesale Suspension can match the price =)

Yes, one of my mate used to work for toyota workshop, he mentioned Oz camry's spring is very taugh and durable, so i only replace 4 shocks(struts). The result of it is fantastic~ No more seasick ~ hehe..

I am not sure what series of KYB you got it from the dealer and what year you are. My Kyb is black (not blue) for 4 shocks only $450, genuius part (Made in Jp).

post-4596-1184912824_thumb.jpg

Edited by jbjb

Pedders suspension quoted me $1550 for 'pedders brand' lowered (front + rear) springs, 'pedders brand' gas shocks, labour and alignment... any one know any info on pedders suspension and if this is a good package?

trd.pdf

Pedders suspension quoted me $1550 for 'pedders brand' lowered (front + rear) springs, 'pedders brand' gas shocks, labour and alignment... any one know any info on pedders suspension and if this is a good package?

Read in one forum that pedders springs are rebranded kings springs and pedders shocks are rebranded monroe shocks...not cure if that is true... :whistling:

Read in one forum that pedders springs are rebranded kings springs and pedders shocks are rebranded monroe shocks...not cure if that is true... :whistling:

Hmm... in that case will compare them head to head... (for price) shouldnt really matter as King springs were my second choice...

Thanks Vivioman :D

Seems that my dealer wasn't able to get the KYB struts... although I haven't had enough time to get out of work to get to the suspension place...

Work is kicking my ***** at the moment, *sigh*

Well, struts and springs were installed tonight, and I still have that bloody noise! (Sounds crunchy going over some bumps)

From research I had done it sounded like the springs were sagging and rubbing against itself, but now I don't know what else it could be... bushes have been ruled out, suspension has been ruled out.

We're going to jack it up tomorrow and check with a little bit finer detail. Will post any results we get!

So, I ended up getting BOGE (which is a re-badged / same production line as KYB) and Kings, and I can tell already I'll need to replace the rears, now... *sigh*

But the ride is a little bit more comfortable, so there's a plus :yahoo:

Well, struts and springs were installed tonight, and I still have that bloody noise! (Sounds crunchy going over some bumps)

From research I had done it sounded like the springs were sagging and rubbing against itself, but now I don't know what else it could be... bushes have been ruled out, suspension has been ruled out.

We're going to jack it up tomorrow and check with a little bit finer detail. Will post any results we get!

So, I ended up getting BOGE (which is a re-badged / same production line as KYB) and Kings, and I can tell already I'll need to replace the rears, now... *sigh*

But the ride is a little bit more comfortable, so there's a plus :yahoo:

Oh...I think it is scratching noise from some parts of rubber underneath, it could be temp. solved by lubricating. By the way, isnt Boge a German Brand certifed shock supplier by BMW? Pls correct me if it is wrong.

post-4596-1185632923_thumb.jpg

Edited by jbjb

Oh...I think it is scratching noise from some parts of rubber underneath, it could be temp. solved by lubricating. By the way, isnt Boge a German Brand certifed shock supplier by BMW? Pls correct me if it is wrong.

@jbjb,

I took her down to Wholesale Suspension after I got them installed and the guy checked things out, and he put a socket and a freakin'-long connector arm on the suspension mount, and tightened it somewhat -- the same noise that I'm hearing when I go over bumps. I might try giving it a lube, but other than that it looks like I'll have to replace it.

BOGE are German made, yea! And apparently I've got a life-time warranty as long as they're on my car :shrug:

Now I just gotta get my auto-choke fixed and I'll be right! :yahoo:

(Oh, and the back suspension done... but that can wait a little bit, I'm sure)

• 1 month later...

Got a better quote from a peddlers suspension outlet today...

now for $1335...

it includes front and rear pedders lowered sports ryder coil springs (the red ones)

plus front and rear pedders gas sealed strut shocks

fitting and gst...

hmmm... he didnt mention wheel alignment so i have to check back with him monday...

is anyone using this set up?

if so any feed back / advice before i go ahead an book it in next week...

currently running 15x6jjwheels on 205 65 15 tyres

mighht change to 17x7 wheets on 235 45 17 tyrees

quoted $1900. for 4 rims and michellin rubber... later upgrade...

I had a sound from my Kings when going over bumps and a length of rubber tubing wrapped round the top coils solved that issue. When compressed, the top 2 coils were too close to each other and when it hit bumps the sound occurred. easy DIY install with the rubber tubing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I've got a 97 Camry running pedders sports rider springs, they are great! Stiffened up the ride heaps, didn't need to replace shocks as they were still at 80%. Lowered the car about 35mm. Would have been nicer if it was lower but with 17 x 7.5's it was a snug fit to say the least :)

Mike.