Circuit Club Trackday Oct 4

Hey guys... was at wakefield park on labour day for a day at the track. We had official lap timing that day so it was a good day to see how fast you could go around the track.

http://www.racetime.com.au/?event=i0411&e=q01&view=fastest

Only disappointing thing however was my car cutting out at like 5000rpm for a second after some corners or during some corners... xtigerx and influx were there also on the day but they didnt drive on the track but they said that this was probably due to the oil temp overheating... i've never experienced this before and it was quite annoying when i wanted to go for my fastest lap time... anyways... still pulled a 1:21.029 which isnt bad considering how difficult i find it to stay in lift...

have to wait till next trackday to get in the 1:20 mark..

Aaron

Screaminrolla, QD180 in his Pug GTI 180 and myself were at Wakefield today!! All i can say is it was great fun to be able to drive the Stivo like we did. Did not have the problem you raised, we were out for 6-7 sessions. Check the Club Meet/Event section for pics and maybe even some videos we took! :D

Zee

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Well done impressive performance against some other (faster cars). Your fastest time was on your last lap - does that mean you are still improving with room to get faster.

Well the first few laps i didnt get such a good time because of other cars in front... i was caught up behind a s2000 and overtook him near the end of the session... then i was able to go harder to try and get a fast lap time... i dunno about my tyres though... once they heat up they get pretty damn spongey and the car is all over the place... hehe

LSD would really help aswell as the inside tyres are spinning like crazy in the hairpins and i cant put the power down.

Aaron

yeah come to think of it aaron it may have been a fuel pressure drop- if this happen the ecu should cut engine power due to possible damage - this is why most car use fuel pumps. and it was happening on hard brake and gear down in those corners. time for some twing bosch fuel pumps. for nil surge.

The new corolla's have a baffled fuel tank just like any other modern EFI car, this is to prevent fuel surge when running 1/4 of a tank or less. I haven't pulled a tank out of a new corolla yet to inspect the internal baffle to see how good it is, but running a bosch pump inline in your current system will do nothing but burn out the bosch pump if you're having pickup problems with your intank pump.

The intank pump can be used as an adequate lift pump to a surge tank that can feed a bosch pump which feeds your fuel rail. Even a low spec bosch 070 will feed more than enough fuel for a 2zzge, there is no need for twin pumps. You are not running a 400kw ATW motor, you have a little NA motor.

But all this is pretty useless if the fuel pickup isn't the reason for the rev cut.

I was doing some data logging the other night on a car a member of this forum owns, and noticed some funny behaviour from the factory MAF sensor, it would occasionally spike when under load, which could be a candidate for hesitation, rev cut etc in certain conditions.

If you have access to a snap-on scan tool or similar you can check your ECU to see why it held back and then you will know the root cause for your problems.

Edited by rollamods

I was doing some data logging the other night on a car a member of this forum owns, and noticed some funny behaviour from the factory MAF sensor, it would occasionally spike when under load, which could be a candidate for hesitation, rev cut etc in certain conditions.

Thats actually very interesting as a members stivo is actually being driven by a Toyota mechanic over the last few days because it was intermitently cutting out (stalling/shutting down whatever you wish to call it). The diagnostics logged weird readings from the MAF sensor as the cause, so Toyota are still looking at it.

The CAI is the TRD Unit. Do not know if it has guard for the MAF. But the CAI was put on 20,000km ago with trouble free driving and as no one alse with it (and there are plenty) is having troubles, plus Toyota have also seemingly ruled it out by not placing any blame on the CAI, I just wonder.

Always tricky to trace down though these issues.

those times are abit slow

i think its coz it only includes the first session where people still warming up and getting used to the track.

for the entire listing of times, go here http://www.racetime.com.au/?event=i0411&e=g01&view=fastest

might give better indication! nice times nonetheless, for comparison's sake, my friend angelo in his stockasarock EK4/civic hatch vtir also did 1:21 on yoko a539's!

those times are abit slow

i think its coz it only includes the first session where people still warming up and getting used to the track.

for the entire listing of times, go here http://www.racetime.com.au/?event=i0411&e=g01&view=fastest

might give better indication! nice times nonetheless, for comparison's sake, my friend angelo in his stockasarock EK4/civic hatch vtir also did 1:21 on yoko a539's!

yeh that was only the first session... after that my car couldnt hack it anymore and kept cutting out at crucial moments... so sad... :angry:

FWIW, oiled airfilters are not the best thing to use long term with the hot wire MAF's. Does the filter that comes with the TRD CAI happen to be an oiled type instead of dry element?

FWIW, oiled airfilters are not the best thing to use long term with the hot wire MAF's.  Does the filter that comes with the TRD CAI happen to be an oiled type instead of dry element?

Yep, but so long as you don't over oil it (dripping oil) it should be okay shouldn't it. Most of us here have K&N (panel and pod) which is oiled.

at what intervals do you clean your MAF element? And what to you clean it with?

On any intake with an oiled airfilter there will be some amount of oil buildup on the sensor which needs to be cleaned off or you will get erroneous readings to your ECU.

Oiled filters are ok with flap type MAF's and MAP sensors. Hot wire type MAF's are the ones that eventually give false readings/fail due to contamination from the oil.

Edited by rollamods

at what intervals do you clean your MAF element? And what to you clean it with?

On any intake with an oiled airfilter there will be some amount of oil buildup on the sensor which needs to be cleaned off or you will get erroneous readings to your ECU.

Oiled filters are ok with flap type MAF's and MAP sensors.  Hot wire type MAF's are the ones that eventually give false readings/fail due to contamination from the oil.

I have seen people clean it with pressurised "distilled water" i think, they just spray the sensor to clean it. So is the Stivo MAF sensor hot wire type?

well it's not a flap type, looks to be the same as a WRX.  Jaycar electrical contact cleaner spay is good, that's what I use.

Damn, does that mean i will have to chuck out my K&N? Can we get Toyota to clean it? But first are we sure oiled filters are really that bad for our Stivos or even 1ZZFE Corollas? Maybe its related to something else? What if the filter hasn't been cleaned and re-oiled, does that mean its less likely to create problems since there won't be over-oiling problems?

Edited by ZEEROLLA