Capacitor?

Chriz

Hi people. I have a system installed in my car, but when I turn it up, the lights go dimmer while the bass gets pumped through the amp and sub. Is this normal? How can I remedy this, so it doesn't happen. A guy I know mentioned getting some sort of capacitor, which should stop this happening. Where do I get these, where are they to be installed and how much are they?

3 things you do before installing a capacitor:

1) Upgrade to a better battery or simply buy a new one if yours is old

2) Beef up your grounding/earthing (there is a DIY in the workshop section)

3) Use a higher quality monoblock amplifier if yours is a lesser known brand name (most expensive step so you might skip it)

Capacitors look cool and the theory behind them is solid. A lot of people think they do nothing but I have nothing against them B) Do whatever takes your fancy but remember to charge the capacitor before hooking it up ;)

Edit: a 1-Farad Jaycar Response Capacitor will be around $90 and should do the job fine. If you aren't confident with the install then get your local audio shop to help you out.

Edited by Tayles

yea, the first step of Tayles should be the best step of all, spending on capacitor, might as well get a better new battery.

unless u hv quite a sum of money to spend, then consider to all of them, emphasis on a very COOOOLLL capacitor~ :spiteful:

yeah i have had my system in now for a bit, and yeah i definately need a capacitor. I wouldnt want to put a bigger battery in as the stivos will need a new mounting base for the battery so it wont fit, how bad is it to go with out a capacitor?? or is it somethin that isnt harmful but just very irritating? Chriz what system did u get btw?\

if you don't have enough current going to the mono block when it needs it, there might be a chance that the amplifier will blow if not fitted with a capacitor. But only applies if you are running like more than 2000WRMS mono block

Definitely get a capacitor.

I had a problem with my previous car, and as soon as I had the Cap in, dimming went away.

I also ask some of the pros from audio installer they said you dont really need a new battery for sportivos as they are using a heavy duty already.

It depends on the power of the sub.

Hmm, atm i m using a 10" and so I am ok, wait until I get my installation done next month.

how bad is it to go with out a capacitor?? or is it somethin that isnt harmful but just very irritating?

The lights dimming is a sign of VD (voltage drop, not the name of an STD :P giggitty). I have read on audio forums that your alternator bears the brunt, and apparently Corolla alternators aren't so great.

I have a Pioneer mono block amp which I think is rated around 350W and a 12" Pioneer sub in an enclosed box. The amp model number is GM-7200M, which I believe is now superseded by the GM-7300M, which should be exactly the same thing. I have a two channel amp for my front splits which have the high pass frequency on, so basically almost all the bass is handled by the sub woofer. How bad the dimming is depends on how much I turn up the volume. It's really only when I put it just past a comfortable listening level to a high listening level that the dimming can be seen. I'd say it'd be pretty noticeable if someone behind me was looking at my tail lights. You can tell with the headlights and dash instrument panel quite easily. It's not that it gets really dark or anything, but you can tell there is something using that power.

EDIT: One thing I was thinking of doing is getting a ported enclosure instead of a sealed one. Apparently this means you don't need to feed the sub as much power. I don't know if a ported sub would sound muddy though. My home theater/home audio system sub is ported and I probably prefer that softer sound to what I am currently getting with my car's system, but that's home theater. Room acoustics are completely different to start with and that may sound loud and boomy in a car.

Edited by Chriz

Firstly with a smallish system like that there should NOT be any light dimming effect at all.

What power cable are you running from battery to the amps? What grounds are you running from the amp to the chassis? Where are they grounded?

I'd advise you to run a length of 2ga down from the battery to distroblock and then to amps. And then run 2ga from amps to chassis.

First thing I would do is the make an extra or replace the stock grounding points from the battery to the chassis. Then i'd start looking at something like the little optima yellow top battery. It is the same size as the stock battery but a million times better.

Putting a capacitor is only a band aid solution to this problem and a complete waste of money. It does NOT fix it. The capacitor it put even more stress to the charging system of the car.

When you start running HUGE systems and have exhausted all the other solutions then you'd look into a capicitor as a very last resort!

I'm not sure what power cables they are, as I did not install the system myself. Most of what you said is beyond me at this point. I did get a Sony audio system cable set for this system which goes to the battery and fuses. I'll have to look into it further.