Presara Map Software Upgrade?

rimmeroz

I know Sensis are the biggest suplier of electronic maps... In the TOMTOM theyare up to Version 14 now. I wonder if the upgrade will be free? Some roads in WA are missing on the Version 13 we get with the Presra.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Sensis are the biggest suplier of electronic maps... In the TOMTOM theyare up to Version 14 now. I wonder if the upgrade will be free? Some roads in WA are missing on the Version 13 we get with the Presra.

I believe we have to pay for it - hope it is not expensive - (double a normal directory is ok).

BH

• 5 months later...

Hi There

We are about to send V13 back to the Toyota Dealer as we upgraded in September and then are just at the end of an EPIC 6000km Christmas Road trip from Airlie Beach to Sydney out through western NSW and back up the coast from Coolum.

The level of missing roads such as the bypass from Tweed to Byron bay. The road from Bundaberg to Mirriam vale is not shown and if we had relied on its routing out through Gin Gin it would have taken us an extra 50kms on that leg alone.

We asked Sensis via email how upto date the V13 was and there response was that if it was on Whereis.com.au then it would be on the DVD .B.S!!! :angry:

I would strongly suggest going to the Toyota dealer and takinga new 08 build Grande of some description for a drive to check.

Interestingly, Navman also use the Sensis Maps and were offering free upgrades since september to version 14, which was released in December

Cheers

We asked Sensis via email how upto date the V13 was and there response was that if it was on Whereis.com.au then it would be on the DVD .B.S!!! :angry:

I would strongly suggest going to the Toyota dealer and takinga new 08 build Grande of some description for a drive to check.

I have been following the progress of the V14 maps on the Whereis site for several months. Initially, their site said that the V14 Denso version (Toyota/Lexus etc) would be available before Christmas but all that information has since been removed and the only vehicle data that is currently ready appears to be the Dayton version. I guess it must be close but it was obviously delayed for some reason (Note, I already have the V14 maps for the Tomtom in my other car - that was available a couple of months ago.)

To whoever it was above who asked whether it would be free, I would say "in your dreams". Maybe for very recent cars but, otherwise, the going price appears to be around $350.

I too would like Toyota's GPS to include speed cameras. Speed and redlight cameras are both standard on the Tomtom with an optional warning sound when you are approaching one. The Tomtom will also show you your actual speed vs the road's speed limit for major roads. If a $500 Tomtom can do all this, why can't a multi thousand dollar in-car version do the same?

Edited by JRC

Version 14 was released in late October I bought a new Presara last week and it still has the old mapping software I think it shoudl be a free upgrade 400 dollars on top on a new car is a bit rich!

alan

I still can not understand why the system and the upgrade map are so expensive. I bought a Xmas gift for my wife with all bells and whistles for only $435 (a Mio C520) with 1 free membership which allows me to upgrade any new frimware & software including map - I've just upgraded it from V3 to V3.3 (not Sensis I believe).

As mentioned in my previous reply, I'm willing to pay a cost of 2 or 3 Melways (say $100) for every two year upgrade but $400 is a bit rich. :help:

BH

• 2 weeks later...
If you have a disc, how can you burn a copy?? It's >4.7Gb so it's not your average DVD+/-R disc.

Physically, it's a standard dual layer DVD (8.7GB) however it's unlikely you will be able to copy it, even with AnyDVD etc.

You'll just need to bite the bullet and buy one like I did today!

I bought and installed V14 for my Aurion and it worked without any glitches. It does pause for 20-30 seconds after you first load it. The documentation that comes with it suggests that this is due to it updating the system from three regions (V13) to seven regions in V14.

Interestingly, some Sydney dealers said they were still waiting for Toyota to supply the DVDs whilst others had already sold out their supply that they apparently got a couple of weeks ago. I found one dealer who had several left at $396 (only $1 more than direct from the Whereis site and it saves the wait as well as getting the Toyota warranty.)

Can't see any differences yet but will give it a test drive in some country towns in the next few weeks.

Unfortunately, there is still no speed camera information on the V14 Toyota DVDs (I spoke to Whereis who stated that they were always included in the provided data but that some car manufacturers choose not to give access to it - Thanks Toyota).

Can't see any differences yet but will give it a test drive in some country towns in the next few weeks. ....

The map itself is more km, more roads ..... like any Melways, Sydways, BrisWays (do they have one ...) ... updates - The software to run it is another story that why Toyota has 2 vendors for one DVD map - The map is not big (not xxGb thing - Garmin users can download V14 very quick and they have 1 year upgrade plan too). The software is where they make money, and you can not copy software (the DVD), it simply won't run.

BH

Can't see any differences yet but will give it a test drive in some country towns in the next few weeks. ....

The map itself is more km, more roads ..... like any Melways, Sydways, BrisWays (do they have one ...) ... updates - The software to run it is another story that why Toyota has 2 vendors for one DVD map - The map is not big (not xxGb thing - Garmin users can download V14 very quick and they have 1 year upgrade plan too). The software is where they make money, and you can not copy software (the DVD), it simply won't run.

BH

I am still annoyed that as I only bought the car two weeks ago they did not giv eme the new software

alan

I am still annoyed that as I only bought the car two weeks ago they did not giv eme the new software

alan

A friend of mine has ordered a RAV4 which is scheduled to arrive late Feb2008 and they will put new map onto that one - written price.

BH

BH

alan

You didn't mention whether you had already asked them for an upgrade disk but, if they have declined to give you a free upgrade, I would not be letting them off that lightly. Toyota has known about the upgrade for several months and several dealerships have been selling them for the last couple of weeks so there is no question about their availability.

Edited by JRC

BH

alan

You didn't mention whether you had already asked them for an upgrade disk but, if they have declined to give you a free upgrade, I would not be letting them off that lightly. Toyota has known about the upgrade for several months and several dealerships have been selling them for the last couple of weeks so there is no question about their availability.

Toyota have now given me the upgraded disk As above 20 secs to load will try it out today..pity still no cameras

alan

Toyota have now given me the upgraded disk As above 20 secs to load will try it out today..pity still no cameras

alan

That's good; the map should be treated like a piece of software, they should allow us to update/upgrade within one year - Given the cost of producing the DVD and ... they can charge users $20 for each piece - They should also just build in the price of the vehicle and allow users update/upgrade free within one year.

Well - just my thought anyway. I still can not work out why we can pay around $300 for a portable NAV but must pay nearly $400 for a DVD after paying few thousand $ for the system.

BH

The disc is installed at the factory so whenever the car was built was when the disc was inserted to the navi drive. The dealer does not see a cent and would only come out of the deal if they were to offer a new disc on a sales contract. Generally the old disc is as good as a used oil filter.

I have been following the progress of the V14 maps on the Whereis site for several months. Initially, their site said that the V14 Denso version (Toyota/Lexus etc) would be available before Christmas but all that information has since been removed and the only vehicle data that is currently ready appears to be the Dayton version. I guess it must be close but it was obviously delayed for some reason (Note, I already have the V14 maps for the Tomtom in my other car - that was available a couple of months ago.)

To whoever it was above who asked whether it would be free, I would say "in your dreams". Maybe for very recent cars but, otherwise, the going price appears to be around $350.

I too would like Toyota's GPS to include speed cameras. Speed and redlight cameras are both standard on the Tomtom with an optional warning sound when you are approaching one. The Tomtom will also show you your actual speed vs the road's speed limit for major roads. If a $500 Tomtom can do all this, why can't a multi thousand dollar in-car version do the same?

The Holden GPS system whist not as convenient to use with the remote, is excellent with a very good read out of your actual speed. Am a little disappointed that when my Sahara arrives it will not have the actual speed capability - On the Caprice the difference is 9kph at 110kph.

Even so, having had the Toyota/Lexus GPS previously, I must say that the screen size is way better and the touch screen is great.

If you have a disc, how can you burn a copy?? It's >4.7Gb so it's not your average DVD+/-R disc.

Physically, it's a standard dual layer DVD (8.7GB) however it's unlikely you will be able to copy it, even with AnyDVD etc.

You'll just need to bite the bullet and buy one like I did today!

I bought and installed V14 for my Aurion and it worked without any glitches. It does pause for 20-30 seconds after you first load it. The documentation that comes with it suggests that this is due to it updating the system from three regions (V13) to seven regions in V14.

Interestingly, some Sydney dealers said they were still waiting for Toyota to supply the DVDs whilst others had already sold out their supply that they apparently got a couple of weeks ago. I found one dealer who had several left at $396 (only $1 more than direct from the Whereis site and it saves the wait as well as getting the Toyota warranty.)

Can't see any differences yet but will give it a test drive in some country towns in the next few weeks.

Unfortunately, there is still no speed camera information on the V14 Toyota DVDs (I spoke to Whereis who stated that they were always included in the provided data but that some car manufacturers choose not to give access to it - Thanks Toyota).

I bought my Lexus RX350 last year (october) and it comes with ver 13, I burn the DVD and I'm using the copy right now. The reason i copy it is due to the fact that the disk is too expensive and if u accidently scratch it then goodbye to ur $395. :angry:

I bought my Lexus RX350 last year (october) and it comes with ver 13, I burn the DVD and I'm using the copy right now. The reason i copy it is due to the fact that the disk is too expensive and if u accidently scratch it then goodbye to ur $395. :angry:

Well, it works for you but not others (bad luck). A friend of mine has 2 Lexuses, one has old version and he did make a copy of the new one; but the copy does not work on the old Lexus. I may get his copy and try one day (We do not live in same state).

BH

• 1 month later...

Hokeydokes here's a query??, if one hasnt yet purchased or icke dup their new presara and he knows the disk in the nav system is a version 13 canhe demand a version 14???...

Or is it a case of you get what comes with the vehicle..

Secondly i would have thought it unsafe to sell a product which has raods missing in its software??..

Cheers

Hokeydokes here's a query??, if one hasnt yet purchased or icke dup their new presara and he knows the disk in the nav system is a version 13 canhe demand a version 14???...

Or is it a case of you get what comes with the vehicle..

Secondly i would have thought it unsafe to sell a product which has raods missing in its software??..

Cheers

1. You better check with the dealer - A friend of mine asked a Toyota dealer to put new map and he's got a new map (ordering just before Xmas 2007, getting his car last month).

2. I don't think that way, the software is always out of date and no way they can update the map at the last minute - even Melway or Sydway ..... they can only have 1 edition a year. The only thing I'd like to see: like any software, Toyota gives users a cheaper upgrade (similar XP to Vista) or even free within one year. I've mentioned in this forum: I bought a Mio C520 for my wife as a Christmas present and last weekend I could upgrade it to new map (to Jan 2008) and new SpeedCam at no cost. I still have 8 months membership which allows me to upgrade firmware, map ..... again, no charge.

BH

My presara has version 14 of the map and my mum's car (Lexus) has version 13 of the map, since they both use the same map i thought i would try burning the dvd and see if it works. I went out and bought DVD+R Dual layer disc 5 for 17 bucks (its expensive but i cbf shopping around) at Big W and then used Nero to copy the DVDs. The original copy is 5.85 Gb and copying the disc took about 35 minutes (burns at only 2x on my burner). Then i placed the burnt copy in the lexus and once it read the DVD it began updating the system and it took about 15 seconds and voila checking the map version again and its version 14 and it works!

Compressed it only is 1.3 gb. PM me for details :whistling:

Edited by yakuza