CD Player Err-ing/Not Responding

cosmichobo

G'day,

As per my other thread, I've (well, my fiancée) just become the "new" owner of a 2000 Camry Conquest (Jan00 manufacture date).

The only problem we've found in the 5 days of ownership (other than the dud battery causing the Radio to lose the time whenever we turned the car off), is that the CD player doesn't work properly.

The CD in our car is not in the Owner's Manual, but there's a loose leaf sheet with info about it - "Compact Disc Deck 08601-00886". (Looking online, it looks slightly different from the ones matching that number currently on sale in the USA... different lay-out of the buttons, but otherwise the same).

When we got the car, it would take a disc in, think for a while, then spit it straight out. I cleaned the disc a bit, tried again, and it then played ok... for maybe 4 songs, then spat the disc out after "hiccupping" a few times. Have tried a few different discs, with same results. Possibly gave Err 1, which leasuance says means "Loaded disc is dirty or improperly inserted. Check disc and try again."

I tried using a CD cleaning disc... that has a little brush on the "read" side... and now it wont play anything... just spits the disc out without any error message.

The bezel under the CD is missing, revealing 2 screws. Will those screws release the CD player so I can get it out and clean the lens with some alcohol? Or are there more hidden screws? Is there a particuar brand of CD cleaner that people recommend for these slot loading drives?

Failing that... I'm not wanting to pay $250+ for a new CD player (prices quoted on the "current" 08601-00886 model CD)... Are these commonly available online at cheaper prices?

Thanks kindly

cosmic

I know it ain't the best picture

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde..._mod&id=955

But if this is it, ie the same as the stock Corolla HU, then I would be asking if you are using a burnt CD (CD-R) as there were some batches out there that can't read CD-R's properly.

Toyota swapped mine under warranty and the new one is fine....

CDradio.jpg

That's it... It kind of blends together, but there is a black void under the CD, which is were the bezel is missing.

No, the discs I've tried were commercial releases...

The light goes on when you insert a disc, recognising that one has been inserted.

The manual (leaflet) says that there are no user servicable parts... But then, they always do... If it's just a dirty lens, has anyone been inside one of these CD Players to know how easy it is to access?

Looks like the CD player you have in your camry was to replace probably an after market unit it originally had.

I would not bother hassling the dealer to replace the cd player, just get another singly din unit and you will also have an additional din to store your stuff under the player.

Does anyone know if this will fit in my 01/00 Camry?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOYOTA-6-STACKER-CD...1QQcmdZViewItem

It states "Most Toyota's from 2002"... which is obviously after my car... but looks like it might be just as cheap/easy to buy a whole new setup rather than just the CD unit...

I've had a look online but can't see the types of connectors used in my model. And not sure how to remove the CD/Tape...

Really gotta get a take-apart/service manual...

Gday, i have seen your head unit and cd player in a friends 1999 csi camry... it is probably just the lower cd player unit playing up... but before you contact toyota and have them service or replace the head unit shop around for an aftermarket system...

1. cheaper than toyota aka 'fujitsu ten/eclipse'

2. more functions... eg can play cdr mp3 and most have minijack plug to allow you to plug in ipod,etc

3. easy diy install especially on a camry... all u need is a socket wrench set 10mm and 2 hands

check out pioneer.com.au

even the lowest end deck are good.... the higher end decks mostly just get better...

there is an adapter plug available for toyota to pioneer connections which saves cutting wires and stuff and ur looking at at average cost of under $200 if u diy... which really isnt that hard...

on the other hand any head unit for toyota's prior to august 2002 use the standard din size... after that they went wwide din... (the wider din wont fit into the standard din hole...

single din systems can be installed but u need a $7 pocket to fill the gap underneath the headunit...

removal of plastic trim surrounding cd player...

1 remove ash tray

2 using fingers pry up the gray plastic surrounding gear selector starting under the hand brake end...

3 using fingers again pry out black plastic trim surrounding heater controlls/cd player ... there are 5 snap clips 3 on the left and 2 on the right hand sides... start from the bottom and work ur way up... once removed u will see the 4 bolts/screws holding the cd player in...

(dissconnect battery if u wish)... usually a good idea

remove screws... unplug unit and attach brackets to new unit... plug in and away u go...

if u dont want to diy strathfield car radio/ jb hifi usually charge around $100 to install a head unit...

good luck!

:D

Does anyone know if this will fit in my 01/00 Camry?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOYOTA-6-STACKER-CD...1QQcmdZViewItem

It states "Most Toyota's from 2002"... which is obviously after my car... but looks like it might be just as cheap/easy to buy a whole new setup rather than just the CD unit...

I've had a look online but can't see the types of connectors used in my model. And not sure how to remove the CD/Tape...

Really gotta get a take-apart/service manual...

yes and no.

yes, the headunit will go into the double din, but the face of the headunit will not be able to go in as it is bigger than the double din set (if you know what I mean). I've seen 1 camry on ebay with that 2002+ headunit, but he custom fit the double din holders.

------------------

back to the original topic:

I have never seen that type of CD player on the 98 Camry before! i'm pretty sure the dealer must've swapped them just before putting the car on the market! I know that there's only 2 different type of the stock headunit for 1998-2001. The double din Single CD player/radio. or . Single Din Radio + Single Din 6in-dash Stacker (which I used to have them, had it in the car for 5yrs and not a problem).

as you have mentioned, the lens probably needs cleaning. I wouldn't clean them, take it to a shop. try searching on eBay for a new lens.....

Goodluck!