Exhaust tip

Neon

Exhaust tips generally do not make a difference to the exhaust note.

I have a dual exhaust tip on mine and it sounds the same as it does when the tip was not installed.

To change the exhaust note, you'd have to change the muffler and from my experience, I'd say that just doing tips are not worth it, might as well get a free flow muffler finished off with a nice chrome tip of any size that you fancy...

Go a Cannon :P

I put one on my gen4 and it sounds freakin wicked. But its a 6 and its missing a resonator on a 2.5in exhaust system so its got a bit of a bark to her.

I've heard em on 4's and they sound a bit tinny, but I dont know if you can get away from that on a 4 cylinder.

One downside to a cannon is you notice the droning noise. I don't get it to badly in the Camry, but my skyline i put a cannon on that and its an auto and it gets a bit annoying. Tho i did find that if you make your sub box so that it takes up most of the width of your boot against the seats , or put a big esky in there, it quiets the cabin noise down :D

In some cases an exhaust tip can change the note, I didnt do it but the previous owner of my V6 Camry put a tip on the exhaust and its quite loud (in a good way), might have something to do with going from the dual tip to a single tip

Edited by aussie_camry

Well Im no expert on this... in my case its not quite a tip per say, the previous owner had the mufflers tip cut off and the new tip welded in its place. It could be the muffler as well I dont know, its a new one, but looks like your average run of the mill muffler.

Well Im no expert on this... in my case its not quite a tip per say, the previous owner had the mufflers tip cut off and the new tip welded in its place. It could be the muffler as well I dont know, its a new one, but looks like your average run of the mill muffler.

I know you can get resinator tips.

But no tip comes to mind for an increased exhaust note. For this better off getting a high flow muffler. (this does not have to be a cannon...)

If you plan to get a tip...make sure it is stainless steel.

Brad

I dont think the tip will change anything note wise, except maybe if the tip vibrates but thats about it <_< . It would be the muffler or resonator that changes the note. These have the sound reducing elements in side.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler.htm

A cannon usually has the tip built on to it, so maybe you might be thinking of this. But yeah there are hi flow muffs that aren't cannons, but most of the time you need to buy a tip for it to look decent which is an extra. Depends on what you want

If its just a note change you want, change ya muffler at the back, theres an assortment of them see ya exhaust shop they'll be able to put a couple on to let ya see what sound you like. Depending on your current setup you might get a bit of a performance enhancement, probly not a hell of a lot with just a muffler replacement on a stock system.

If it was me I'd want a bit of a performance gain to go with the sound. So that way its not all bark and no bite. Id spend a bit more and get a cat back system. with hi flow muffler.

t_fortuner_exhaust_tip-t.jpg <------ TIP ~$20...

Not sure how a tip could possibly change the note, stand to be corrected however

^that's right! that's a 3" tip! :unsure: I used to have it and no sound different after putting it on :spiteful:

Hey hey~ The purpose of the toyota tip is design for decor and chic. Not for noise, mate~