Installing a second amp

Kenneth

Hey there, I currently run my sub n front splits off one amp and since i got another mono amp sitting around i was thinking of runnin front on one amp and run my sub on ANOTHER amp.

I looked around and figured i'd need a distributor block more cables n this and that.. as much as im happy with whats needed i was wondering if anyone could tell me more about setting one of these up?

1. would i need a capacitor? its not a vry powerful mono :) but even with one amp when i pump it my light dims ><

2. would the stock cable that goes to my amp (8 guage if im not wrong) good enuough?

3. any extra thing i need to be careful?

Cheers people !!!!

im sure this has been covered in a topic beforehand so next time use search

Ull need minimum 4guage power cable if you are running two amps, and upgrade the fuse as the amps will draw more current hence a higher rated fuse.

some people say a capacitor is good for dimming lights, i have read that you should just upgrade all your earthing points in the engine bay. e.g Engine block earth, battery earth, Alternator earth

What car is it? what sort of amps? wat other gear is running?

ive done this b4.

heres the diagram i made up while i was planning my install

ROLLA2amps.jpg

i forgot to include a couple things in this diagram that i ended up putting in the install.

*2 more inline fuses on the (+) cables between the distribution block and both amps. (just in case)

*i forgot to include the adaptor thingy between the stock head unit and the first amp.. (the adaptor for the rca cables). its connected to the (+) and (-) of both front left and right speakers. costs roughly $14 from autobarn

i did do a search but i only found bits n pieces so yeh :) i read on a guide too and yeh it looks quite like JJCRU23R diagram..

but again i love mucking round with stuff but get bit worried.. so im getting a quote quickly tomorrow n see how much it cost :)

just make sure you bought the right gauge for cables, all the fuses are properly connected, all your ground wires have the best contact to bare metal as possible (SCRATCH THE PAINT OFF) and that the battery is disconnected whenever you do this kind of work. i choose to wrap the positive and negative connectors to the battery up in plastic bags.. more of a visual reminder that i have/have not connected the amp wires to the battery.

if you stood there and watched the professionals install it, you would hit yourself in the head thinking GEEZ... i shoulda and coulda done that myself!

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=9520

thats the thread where i was still trying to figure out my install.

Edited by JJCRU23R

The mono amp should provide more stable power to the subs than a class A/B amps.

To be honest, you should get the pros install them if you are running into difficulties.

My installation was done by tower audio (Cos I dont have time)

Since the guys only charged me $300 bucks including wiring. I think its a bargain.Dont forget the distirbutors , wiring cost a fortune.

Guess you pay big bucks and get proper job done.

The mono amp should provide more stable power to the subs than a class A/B amps.

To be honest, you should get the pros install them if you are running into difficulties.

Since the guys only charged me $300 bucks including wiring. I think its a bargain.Dont forget the distirbutors , wiring cost a fortune.

i dont trust those guys doing my install.. coz the last time westside did mine.. i had to take them.. apart so i could eliminate engine noise n stuff like that.. and yeh.. parts all up is around 80 - 90 bucks.. the guy was willing to sell me the parts :P but not willing to sell me their service! FUNNY GUY! :P

i dont trust those guys doing my install.. coz the last time westside did mine.. i had to take them.. apart so i could eliminate engine noise n stuff like that.. and yeh.. parts all up is around 80 - 90 bucks.. the guy was willing to sell me the parts :P but not willing to sell me their service! FUNNY GUY! :P

The place I had my car done, they did the alpine show cars and also I see them doing some work on pre-delivered audi and VW cars, probably doing some dealer fitted stuff.

SO I guess they are pros.

You just gotta go to right place