brand names

JJCRU23R

ok this has been confusing me for ages...

people talking rims on these forums referring to real/fake/copy wheels such as starcorp selling rims that happen to be copies of lensos for example...

just so i understand what im looking at while im window shopping, which brands make copies of other brand rims?

which ones are genuine?

just to get things started ill list down a few brand names ive come across in my search through the net.

LENSO

KONIG

OZZY RACING

STARCORP

EST

KSPEED

ASIA

RAYS

feel free to add to this list if i missed out on some...

also, ive gathered that it may be unsafe to purchase rims that have multiple stud sizes on them. is there any truth to this or should i really stay away from rims that are made to suit a wider range of cars by having different size stud configurations on it?

example of what im talking bout:

mag_140_209_md.jpg

notice theres 8 stud holes in this? im sure ill only need 4

im assuming it may be structurally weaker.. but im obviously unsure since i am asking these questions..

so yea..

which brands to trust? which ones to steer away from?

Edited by JJCRU23R

Micky's Work Emotion CR Kai's aren't a multi stud fit but they do have 8 holes drilled into them. There are 4 for the wheel studs and then 4 smaller random ones in between. And we aren't exactly talking about a cheap wheel here :spiteful:

I don't see any problem in buying the cheaper brands until you start expecting expensive performance out of them. For road use you should be fine. Whatever takes your fancy I say buy it :)

the best advice i can give you is do some research rather than just buying a "brand". i.e forged vs cast, light-weight vs whatever.

research the rims you want and make sure you get what you pay for instead of just jumping on a band wagon and purchasing something just because they where marketed better...those are the same guys who try to convince you to buy $800 jeans because they are better than your $100-200 jeans which in turn is better than your just jeans $80 special.

Marketing is a crock! do your homework and you can't go wrong.

p.s One of the reasons you would need racing rims is because they have a better quality control process i.e each rim has the same weight, rolling-radius, balance...etc.

these or something similar is what im after.

these are from the US and come in 4 stud... the proper size for the rolla (ive checked.. 4x100 yea?)

DRAGrims.jpg

cant find anything like them in australia that come in 4 stud. :/

besides the asia brand from tempe tyres (i think?).. but they got 8 holes in em, which besides me being curious bout the safety of having the extra holes, im not a huge fan of the look of the extra holes.

but since tayles said its fine for street driving...

Edited by JJCRU23R

these or something similar is what im after.

these are from the US and come in 4 stud... the proper size for the rolla (ive checked.. 4x100 yea?)

DRAGrims.jpg

besides the asia brand from tempe tyres (i think?).. but they got 8 holes in em, which besides me being curious bout the safety of having the extra holes, im not a huge fan of the look of the extra holes.

the gun metal and polished lip looks nice. make sure you get the correct offset.

Yeah you eventually get over the fact that you have 8 holes, seeing the 8 holes in the Work Emotions made me feel better. Notice on those wheels and the stock Sportivo 16" wheels (and others!) they have little dimples in between the holes? That's where the Work ones are drilled out, but not wide enough to be for wheel studs. Actually the other set of holes on my wheels don't look big enough to even fit a wheel stud through let alone secure it with a nut and socket. Can anyone shed some light on the 8 hole phenomenon?

thanks hammer, but tis a pretty different look to what i was after :P

15 spokes looks about right for me.

has anyone here ever imported their rims from overseas?

Here's something similar thats available at Jax's Quick fit fitters

The Hammer

Can anyone shed some light on the 8 hole phenomenon?

Weight reduction, stress raiser, less use of material dunno.gif

I reckon they have a multi-task machine that uses a register with 8 drill bits (4 x 100 and 4 x 114). 8 holes are dilled into the wheel, say 12mm in diameter, but only 4 of the holes are machined out to fit a wheel stud depending on the customer order. So every wheel has 8 holes in it, but only 4 of the holes are large enough to put a stud through, deeming them either a 4 x 100 wheel or a 4 x 114 wheel. I imagine this would save production costs whilst maximising the amount of surface area connecting the wheel to the car hub (only 4 x 12mm holes are missing).

What do you think of my completely made up story?

I reckon they have a multi-task machine that uses a register with 8 drill bits (4 x 100 and 4 x 114). 8 holes are dilled into the wheel, say 12mm in diameter, but only 4 of the holes are machined out to fit a wheel stud depending on the customer order. So every wheel has 8 holes in it, but only 4 of the holes are large enough to put a stud through, deeming them either a 4 x 100 wheel or a 4 x 114 wheel. I imagine this would save production costs whilst maximising the amount of surface area connecting the wheel to the car hub (only 4 x 12mm holes are missing).

its good..

its really good.

just needs more cowbell... i gotta have more cowbell

I think it is just for looks. Because the stocko sportivo rims have the dimples too. Plus having those extra smaller holes is just creating a stress raiser.

DRAGrims.jpg

Very posh wheels! I'd love them on my car, except with Hypersilver centres.

Someone round the traps here used to have some 18" Carlssons, 15 spoke, silver with chrome dish. Very classy!

Hey guys..what about wheels that tempetyres provide? like tenso lenso n stuff..what do u guys think about those wheels?

Lenso's rock dude! :toast:

..........Just ask me ;)

DRAGrims.jpg

Very posh wheels! I'd love them on my car, except with Hypersilver centres.

Someone round the traps here used to have some 18" Carlssons, 15 spoke, silver with chrome dish. Very classy!

Hey guys..what about wheels that tempetyres provide? like tenso lenso n stuff..what do u guys think about those wheels?

Lenso's rock dude! :toast:

..........Just ask me ;)

lenso's are good! love them.

Guest dong-soo

this is all original brands ok peeps... here is ma list.

SSR wheel co.

RAYS

RS Watanabe

Work wheel co.

ok ma mind is tired from today i dont wanna think any more

• 3 weeks later...