Echo vs Corolla vs Camry

I am thinking of buying a used Toyota, a bit undecided between Echo, Corolla and Camry, main consideration economy, safety and space.

Echo - fuel efficient but space too small, average safety rating

Corolla - mid fuel consumption and space, average safety rating

Camry - big space, good safety rating but higher fuel consumption

Anyone knows about their maintenance expenses? I think Camry don't require as frequent services as others but may be more expensive for each service. Any other insights?

Depends on what year cars we are talking about here. I have only driven the 03-06 Corollas and Camry. If you don't require rear leg room, then I would go the Corolla since economy is better and I always found the huge, high rear end on the Camry an inconvenience when parking. But its all personal opinion, a Camry owner may come in here and say the Corolla is bad for such an such reason. Test drive them all under the condtions you would spend most of your driving, like number of passangers etc.

agree test drive them all and pick one suitable for you as in our family i have a corolla which suited me better then the echo or camry my brother liked the space and power of the camry he owns and my sister liked the size of the echo that she owns

:yahoo::yahoo:

Depends on what year cars we are talking about here. I have only driven the 03-06 Corollas and Camry. If you don't require rear leg room, then I would go the Corolla since economy is better and I always found the huge, high rear end on the Camry an inconvenience when parking. But its all personal opinion, a Camry owner may come in here and say the Corolla is bad for such an such reason. Test drive them all under the condtions you would spend most of your driving, like number of passangers etc.

I am looking for 2004 models... But Corolla safety rating only 3/5 while Camry 5/5

Corolla seems like a happy medium when you think about it. But as Dave said it's dependent on the year model. How much are you looking to spend? ZZE122 Corolla Sedan would be a logical compromise

2004 Corolla has the same safety rating as 2004 Echo

agree test drive them all and pick one suitable for you as in our family i have a corolla which suited me better then the echo or camry my brother liked the space and power of the camry he owns and my sister liked the size of the echo that she owns

:yahoo::yahoo:

In my case I need to make up my mind before I go out and start looking for cars, mostly private since I don't trust dealers.

id go the camry, my fuel consumption is average 9.1ltr/100km. and you should see the way i drive! its big in space, a lot of space, its confy and if you ever fatigue you could always jump in the backseat and have your powernap. haha

it all depends... what do you need the car for?

if you have a big family or frequently need to transport ppl then go for the camry it's pretty roomy at the back (and a massive boot too)...

if you want an economical car and you don't really need the space then go for the echo...

and the corolla is in between those two vehicles

so it depends on what you're going to use the vehicle for... oh and if you do get the camry i'd HIGHLY recomend the sportivo it looks real sexy

Why so concerned with the safety rating? It's impossible to predict the outcome from an accident... I see it all the time where I work, no matter how safe the car is.

Surely it doesn't make any different if the impact is too small or extremely high. I do believe if the impact is within a certain range the safety rating can really make a difference. I rather pay a bit more to get a safer car for my family.

Personally, I think Camry is the best choice.

The reason for this is that the locally made Camry depreciates fairly rapidly for a Toyota, so the cost should be pretty comparable to a Corolla, but more value for money.

Few days ago I did a comparison at Redbook and I did find out that all these cars' market value don't have much difference after 3 years. So I guess you are right in saying that buying a used Camry gives more value for money. By the way is Camry costs more to maintain than other car? (parts and labour) I learn that used Camry actually don't require as frequent regular service than the smaller options.

id go the camry, my fuel consumption is average 9.1ltr/100km. and you should see the way i drive! its big in space, a lot of space, its confy and if you ever fatigue you could always jump in the backseat and have your powernap. haha

Do you drive mostly in the city or freeway? Is it manual or auto?

it all depends... what do you need the car for?

if you have a big family or frequently need to transport ppl then go for the camry it's pretty roomy at the back (and a massive boot too)...

if you want an economical car and you don't really need the space then go for the echo...

and the corolla is in between those two vehicles

so it depends on what you're going to use the vehicle for... oh and if you do get the camry i'd HIGHLY recomend the sportivo it looks real sexy

I don't really have a big family now, but we are about to start a family. My only concern with echo is the safety rating, and looks like used Camry is offering pretty good value because of it's rapid depreciation. Anyway is echo cheaper to maintain? Like cheaper parts and labour etc?

I don't really have a big family now, but we are about to start a family. My only concern with echo is the safety rating, and looks like used Camry is offering pretty good value because of it's rapid depreciation. Anyway is echo cheaper to maintain? Like cheaper parts and labour etc?

if you're about to start a family then you don't want to keep upgrading the car coz that's just a mess you might as well get the right car now... now i don't know about the new one's but i'm just going to tell you about the starlet (considered the old echo), the old corolla's and the old camry's... parts and servicing is the cheapest for the camry then the corolla and the starlet in last place... now i'm predicting that the same is going to happen to the 2004 vehicles in 7-10 years time... so i vote getting the camry (preferably the sportivo ;)) oh and do some research on the V6, they say... "due to the efficiency of the alloy V6 you get city fuel consumption of 9.5L" i think it's just a lil more than the 2.4L version plus u get all that POWAAA

if you're about to start a family then you don't want to keep upgrading the car coz that's just a mess you might as well get the right car now... now i don't know about the new one's but i'm just going to tell you about the starlet (considered the old echo), the old corolla's and the old camry's... parts and servicing is the cheapest for the camry then the corolla and the starlet in last place... now i'm predicting that the same is going to happen to the 2004 vehicles in 7-10 years time... so i vote getting the camry (preferably the sportivo ;)) oh and do some research on the V6, they say... "due to the efficiency of the alloy V6 you get city fuel consumption of 9.5L" i think it's just a lil more than the 2.4L version plus u get all that POWAAA

Makes good sense.

I wonder how accurate is the V6 fuel consumption, it's unlikely the case according to

http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/cgi-bin/trans...a&year=2003

Edited by sionghua

echo as a family car? get outta here man. scrap that off ur list.

corolla? 2 kids yeah alright. great car, esp the new models.

why camry v6 if power isnt anywhere near the top of your priority list.

need more space? just get an 07 camry altise. 25k drive away. beautiful. great safety rating.

Also consider a Yaris sedan. They are cheap to run, have many of the modern safety features not found in the other cars listed, and are surprising roomy inside. The 1.5L engine may not win any time trials but has enough power and torque for city driving.

I have seen 2006 autos as cheap as 2004 Corolla auto sedans. If you want a manual you could possibly get a brand new one for around that budget too.

need more space? just get an 07 camry altise. 25k drive away. beautiful. great safety rating.

Can't afford to buy a new car, that's why looking for used.

You idiot. He said he was looking for a used car :lol:

My vote goes to the Camry for a family car. More power to carry a family, smoother ride and much more space.

I would go the Camry, huge boot ( anyone I know with a kid loves the space to put the thousand items a kids needs in there, easy to get them in and out of, cheap on parts and service, fairly well built and strong , and you have rear protection of a boot.

Also nicer to drive with the family with cruise control good AC and all that.