Removing a black decor door strip

Wixy

hi all,

ive got a camry, its white, and its got them black door strips on the side. anyone know how to remove them diy style? i know my mechanic can do it but he will charge heavy cuz its time consuming.

there are several threads of people who have done this... try the search feature!

but yea, ive done this on my 03 corolla.

on a hot day (preferebly), get some fishing line between the door and the strip and start pulling across.

ive debated with people in here whether to use goo remover or some sort of chemical to disolve/remove the adhesive. ive used it and have had good results, but others say you shouldnt use it.

but yea look for "removing door trim" or something like that in the earlier threads 2 find out more.

there are several threads of people who have done this... try the search feature!

but yea, ive done this on my 03 corolla.

on a hot day (preferebly), get some fishing line between the door and the strip and start pulling across.

ive debated with people in here whether to use goo remover or some sort of chemical to disolve/remove the adhesive. ive used it and have had good results, but others say you shouldnt use it.

but yea look for "removing door trim" or something like that in the earlier threads 2 find out more.

*Everything JJ said, ASSUMING the Camry ones don't have little grommets that stick into the bodywork, you could end up with little black holes instead of black door strips.

Other search keywords: shaved, door trims, door strips, door handles, ascent

oh yea that definately is a big ASSumption. sorry!

what year is the camry btw? im thinking if it is an 03 or similar, im still assuming itll come off the same way the corollas does... just because the doortrims looked so similar.

toyota have used the same type of door handles for several different models such as rav4, hilux and the camry for example... why would they use different methods of sticking the door trim on the different models??

Edited by JJCRU23R

why not just paint it... my friend wants to do the same by removing it... i'm telling him to paint one side and check it out... if it looks good then it looks good... if it doesn't look good then off with the removal... as for the inquiry on wether it has something at the back i'd suggest you download yourself the camry 'manual' as it tells u EVERYTHING about your car including the screws and grommets and everything...

apparently it says that the website is down or sumthing... so i dunnno... maybe you can get it off someone that already has it

i went to my panel beater guy, and he said there are clips holding the side thingys, and removing it will leave holes, but ive got the new camry dont know about the older ones.

crack open the inside panel of your car doors and see if theres anything goign through the metal. all that would be holding it in place would be some screws and plastic pins around the edges.

thanks guys. shouldve know to search instead of wasting forum space!

my camry is 02' so im sure its just a non screwy things that hold the strips. the strips look identical to the ones on tayles & JJCRU23R's corollas.

as for painting them.mm yea i'll need to weigh which one is more troublesome. getting rid of it or painting it. both seem to be as tedious

ZOMG!!!

i peeled just a little bit of the strip on the drivers side, only for it to reveal a hole for a plastic pinhead to sit in. however, the strip isnt held 2 the door by a screw in the hole, its so freakin strange and annoying.

kinda like a cylindrical shape being fitted to a square hole (as supposed to a circle hole)

painting it looks like the go. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: