newbie questions

Hi guys. for month or so I've been reading through the forums here as I am considering a 2nd hand ZZE-122RCorolla. Just a matter of getting right price for my current car! <_< ..anyway I had been looking at between 50-100 thou klms aged vehicles though have seen a Levin with 142K kilmotres just within price range :yahoo:

. . . so Im wondering if, assuming logbook maintenance is all correct, should there be any maintenance issues crupping around on this milage, ie Clutch, CVs. etc. minor things like brake pads, oils, filters etcetera are no problems, but dont want another car where I have to spend out thousands in first few months due to timing bel, clutch or other mechanical issues. :angry:

Any owners of "high" milage 2001+ Corollas offer any advice regarding this?

I am 90% set now on ZZE Corolla after "careful" consideration of my needs and budget. Other wise its a brand new car, but don't really want the extra financial commitment on top of mortgage.

***Thaught I'd mention to that after reading the forums, its fantastic to hope Id be able to have access to this great wealth of knowledge and experiance available here. All seem like great people and a fan/enthusiest base like this really supposrts my leaning towards the Corolla ! :yahoo:

:o An intelligent relevent question from a new member, I like him already :lol:

My advice: Buy one.

I have a Dec 2001-build ZZE122R with 125,XXXkms on the clock. Original engine runs perfectly, forget timing belts because the ZZ series engines use a timing chain ;) If the log books and servicing look up to date then a 100,000km-old model will still run like new, ceteris paribus. Oil changes every 10,000 from Toyota should be par for the course. About the other parts you mentioned; at 100,000kms we changed my spark plugs, discovered that the original ones looked fresh and could easily have gone another 100,000kms. We had to change my gearbox the other day as a result of the previous owner hitting a gutter (hard!) some 40,000kms ago, the problem was as a result of the damage, not as a result of failure or wear & tear. Whilst we were under there we checked out my clutch; it is fine too, it should last until 200,000kms. Problem with clutches is that if the previous owner wasn't so great with their left foot or was keen on burnouts then it will probably wear faster. That's not the car's fault, but if it's treated well it will treat you well. Also, if you run the baby on 95-98RON fuel, you can expect fantastic fuel economy (7L/100km city traffic driving) a clean fuel system and a more efficient burn (no carbon build up in the engine).

That's about all... Any other questions just ask, plenty of 1ZZ-FE boys around here as well as 2ZZ-GE. Good luck with the search and welcome to TOCAU :)

So i'm looking at a 2002 Levin today, not mint, but nothing a good detialing and clean inside wouldnt tidy right up.

Has limited logbook history and 140K klms so will get RACQ have a inspection (I work there too).

..Can I confirm Levin has side airbags? the front seats have SRS badges on the sides? this is a further attraction for the higher Klm Levin for me as well as the leater wheel/knowb and electric sunroof :yahoo:

..oh the sunroof, are they prone to failing, leaking , or rusting?

...bugger Im heading there now, wanted to slap him a deposit if I like it... ?

hey smithy... Yes the levin's have side airbags inside the seats. Just remember u can't put seat covers on!

As for the sunroof it will most likely be an after market sunroof maybe installed from toyota maybe not. It was never an option though with this model. Just look at all the seals, see u it closes properly etc. Also when driving play with it. If it doesn't close u should be able to hear it! Also if its a Holliander sunroof just sit back and enjoy... It shouldn't have any problems.

Best of luck with your purchase!

Electric sunroof, up/down, or open/shut (vairable). I'd be surprised if not toyota installed , v.impressed.

Impressed with seat "hugs" too. leather touches everywhere. FOOTREST yay. looks lowered , would that ne Levin standard?

Also thhe "schick" of the gear stick changes. very short clutch. also on incline the power delivery was niiiiiccce and smooth ( I now its an economy 1.8).

Wanted to give over deposit straight away but they cannot look at trade in till monday :angry:

Cheers guys? anyone point me towards specifications and options available for 2002 Levin? :rolleyes:

suffered badly on thhe trade in. but assuming RACQ comes back rosey , this time tomorrow I'll have a 2002 Levin to call my own.

:yahoo: pretty pleased. though little cheesed at all the money gone that was "invested" into the RVR. <_<

yay LEVIN. Through looking at old write ups on net seems sunroof was a Levin factory option. so yay there.

Levin is a tiny bit lower than the Ascent/Conquest, which are a tiny bit lower than the Sportivo... Might just be a combination of the bodykit and a little sagging making it look lower. If in doubt just ask :lol:

Sounds good with the sunroof... In my experience, Toyota factory fitted sunroofs look great and last quite well.

Options for the Levin... Well apart from the creature comforts inside you have the muffler which is meant to sound a little throatier but doesn't do all that much. Looks exactly like the "Sportivo" option that was a factory accessory. In terms of modifying, should be your run-of-the-mill CAI, Exhaust, Suspension route as most of us take here.

looking through th owner manual they've nikko'd over the orignal owners details, despite being clearly visible through the ink!

and it was purchased ans serviced not 10 klms from where I'd lived since I was 10 years old (Vic Point, serviced Cleveland) and first came to Australia! haha then service hist moves to Morningside where I then lived for 3 years close by in Bulimba... and I purchased it in Springwood, whilst i now work at RACQ 10 min drive away! ...spooky! anyway I love it... gotta do a service soon though as oil filter looks kinda old itsedl and the oil looks worrying.

Reading the info on oils Im trying to decide between Castrol Edge or Mobil 1 / and the semi or fully Synth debate. its "higher" kilometre but unknown what oil was being used. Filter looks to be a genuine toyota item.

Edited by Smithy