Cleaning Tyres

Becker

I've read that it's a good idea to clean your tyres before you apply protectant such as the Meguiars tyre shine I use.

How would you go about doing it? Should I just use the same was water as for the rest of the vehicle (after I've washed the van not before obviously) or would you recommend something else?

thanks

Oh I use the Meguiars Hot Rims cleaner for the wheels themselves.

You seem like a Meguiars kind of guy so why not try the new brush product line... They have wheel brushes with soft bristles and tyre brushes with firmer bristles... Like a giant novelty toothbrush :D

lol..................................... :blink:

becker, before applying meguiars tyre shine products, u should clean the the tyres using the non acid wheel cleaner. i know it says wheel cleaner but in the US, its called a different name; dubbed the "all purpose wheel cleaner - APC". the non acid wheel cleaner has exactly the same formula as the APC and is a multipurpose cleaner that ready's your tyres and wheels for shine applications or for chrome rims, readys them for the nxt all metal polish/wax.

if u apply the shine products after only using water to wash the tyres, they will not penetrate the tyre wall efficiently, and most of the times u'll see that u'll need a second or third application as the tyre surface is not clean and readied.

i use the non acid wheel cleaner and as tayles "suggested" lol, their wheel brush to clean it. then i apply 2 coats of meguiars Endurance Tyre Protectant Gel (High Gloss) with a meguiars foam applicator.

if your tyre wall as those annoying rubber lines that "enhance" the look of your tyres when wet, use a paint brush to spread the tyre shine gel/liquid into the lines.

most of the meguiars brush products may seem stupid, like a wheel brush, a tyre brush, a body brush etc but if use specific meguairs products u'll find that u actually need them. u can purchase just a generic brush from a $2 store wheel and tyre purposes, but if u intend on using brushes for your car's body work, then only use meguiars brushes, as they are non scratching with microfibre bristles

hope this helps.

Thanks for the replys guys.

If I understand you correctly I need to buy the "non acid wheel cleaner" and use that first. Does that mean the Hot Rims Wheel cleaner isn't suitable? (For the tyres) I actually wanted the non acid version but was met with a blank stare at the shop when I asked for it so went the Hot Rims one instead :angry:

Thanks for the replys guys.

If I understand you correctly I need to buy the "non acid wheel cleaner" and use that first. Does that mean the Hot Rims Wheel cleaner isn't suitable? (For the tyres) I actually wanted the non acid version but was met with a blank stare at the shop when I asked for it so went the Hot Rims one instead :angry:

u could always just give it a go and spray the hot rims on the tyres, clean it and see how well the tyre shine application goes. dependant on what tyre shine u use, if u are using one that claims to last weeks, but doesnt, then what you are using to clean the tyres (in this case hot rims) should not be used as it repels the shine liquid.

give meguiars endurance wet gloss a go. u have to actually apply it using a hand applicator though. but it lasts for weeks! it even repels and has the water beading effect when wet

I'm going to get the non acid wheel cleaner anyway I reckon as they claim it can be used as part of a waterless wash system which is something I do fairly regularly atm. I wont be wasting the Hot Rims though I'll save that for the times I bring out the wash mitt and suds.

That Endurance Wet Gloss sounds good thanks for the tip.