Boat towing

CS2003

I'm thinking of buying a boat and using my corolla to tow the boat. I know the tow limit is 1300kg and the boat in question is abt 850kg (boat, trailer, motor, fuel & gear inclusive). Is 1300kg over exaggerated, i know the golf has only a 800kg limit?

Anyways, do you think its recommended? It'll prolly work on a straight road but not sure abt a slanted wet boat ramp?

the boat sales dude says no prob, but of course i ain't believing a salesman

after driving my bosses brand new commodore ssv the other day i can safely say i would rather brake in a corolla than a commodore. Corolla has very good brakes. Should have enough torque to pull the boat of the ramp as well.

yea thats been my whole concern is at the ramp.

to give you an idea, the boat is just a 4.9m aluminium open boat (tinnie) . i'm not getting a fibre glass offshore boat, even tho i dream abt it everyday hehe i would require a land cruiser for that =p

Edited by CS2003

yea i haven't seen them tow tow anything as well. i've seen them with tow bars though.

actually this morning i saw a 1990 or thereabouts camry towing a boat similar to the boat i want. i'm guessing if that car could do it, my car should be able to.

should i upgrade the suspension as well? i hate my car to have that sagging look

In my experience on the boat ramps FWD's tend to fair better than RWD's as the fronts stay dry and get more traction. But then again I've seen idiots back too far in with 4WD's and not be able to get out...