Camry 1999 Idle problem

Bella

Hi all,

Long time Camry driver, very happy up until now.

Camry 1999, 4 cyl, auto, cruise control.

193.000 kms without any problem, now my mechanic is scratching his head about the following problem:

After driving the car for 1.5 km's, especially in the morning with a cold start, my car stalls when I have to stop and the car remains in idle. E.g. on traffic lights.

After the re-start I will feel a few stutters when driving and from there it goes well until the next traffic lights. Stalls again. After the second start the car usually goes well. Imagine the annoyance when the car stalls just when the traffic lights go green. :angry:

My mechanic (a family friend who always has done a good job), so far has replaced the following:

First time: Cleaned throttle body valve, replaced spark plugs and cleaned fuel filter. The car went well for a week then the same problem but happing more often even when the car has been running for a while.

Second service: Keeps the car for a week, replaces the fuel pump and drives it for a week. He declares the car hassle free. I drive it for 2 weeks, no problem until yesterday morning. First traffic lights, the car stalls again.

I do not now what to do anymore. i have read up on this problem a lot and it seems like it has to do with the idle valve of which my mechanic claims he has cleaned it.

Is there anyone else has had this problem and can he/she tell me who fixed it? By the way, I live in Melbourne.

Edited by Bella

Man... definetely sounds like the IAC... but the 4 bangers... not sure ay...

As stated, you're best off going to Toyota, or a Mech who's capable of reading the OBDII diagnostics on the car. Might throw up something straight away? The mechanic's covered everything I can think of...

Made sure the intake's fully cleaned out?? airhose... airfilter not clogged with crap... you can drive it (sucks in more air), but when you're idling (not as much air) it's stalling. Unusual for sure though.

• 4 weeks later...

A tip - if it's idling rediculously low (like, so low the engine is shaking in the bay, and it's floating around 300, 400...) knock it into neutral and apply slight pressure to the accelerator. You'll need about 900rpm, 1k. You'll need to be really tricky to get it back into drive without stalling it - and if you do, look out for the knock, as it applys the revs from neutral into 1st ;)

I've got the same kind of problem at the moment, but it's really only when the car is cold. However I have the Vienta Grande, the V6.

There's a Toyota dealer around here locally so I might save up some dosh and get them to check out the IAC.

When it stalls, does it just cut out or does the engine drop its revs then stalls???

if it just cuts out it maybe an electrical/ignition problem.

Just as a long shot....... this happened to me

My car would run ok when driving, but took a bit to start and when i got to traffic lights or had to stop it would just cut out. It ended up being the battery.

When i get home ill check my manuals, its got a troubleshoot section in them..... might give suggestions, but no doubt your mech friend probly already has them.

had a quick look... i've left out what you said your friend has already done and the suggestions the guys have given.

* Loose faulty electrical connections at coil(s) or alternator

* Insuffiecent fuel reaching the fuel injectors

* Vacuum leak at the gasket between the intake manifold/plenum and throttle body

* Idle speed incorrect

* Water and impurities in fuel system

* Ignition components damp or damaged

* Faulty emissions systems components

* Faulty spark plug wires

* Vacuum leak in the fuel injection system, intake manifold or vacuum hoses

* Valve clearances incorrectly set.

If you can drive the car you might be able to rule some of these out. But hope it gives some help

Sounds like an idle air control valve (IAC)problem to me. Cleaning it may work temporarily but might not be enough, you might have to replace it. Maybe you could borrow one off a mate and try it for a few days before forking out for a new one.

I did a whole DIY on how to clean out the IAC valve on Camcrew...

on the 3VZ engine, it's as simple as spraying the IAC valve (lots of TB cleaner... Nulon would do). I ended up usin 1/4 of a can just in the IAC valve.

Cleaned the butterfly clip in the intake... scrubbed with TB cleaner and a toothbrush... didn't mow it down or anything.

Turned the car over a few times... started after the 2nd time. Lots of smoke for about 20 secs... never had an idle issue since.