Thinking of buying a Sportivo

Joey

Hi there

I'm looking at getting a Sportivo soon and this forum is very interesting! There's heaps of info here! It sounds like a lot of fun modifying this car.

I like the pre-facelift shape and I spent the weekend looking at used and demo Sportivos. I saw one which was particularly interesting!

Here's a photo of it

Red_Sportivo.jpg

I didn't get a photo from the side but it has gunmetal 17's and has been lowered. Apart from that I couldn't tell of any other modifications

It looks really good so I'm quite interested in it but being already modified should I think twice about buying it? Also what do you think I should pay for a used Sportivo generally?

Joey

i reckon u should buy it, however it also depends on how many k's it has....other than that it looks like a very fresh example.

be sure to inspect the WHOLE car tho if u were to buy it ..ie...the body panels, the interior, the engine bay , etc ....cos if u do find a small fault u can thanfurther bargain the price down :)

being lowered n having aftermarket wheels on already is an advantage i believe cos...1. u wont have to lower it in the future thus saving money n 2. providing u like the gunmetal wheels on it already than thats gonna save u heaps from buying new wheels n tyres....(gunmetal n red in my mind looks heap tuff :D )

be prepared to pay n e where around the 25 grand mark for a low k n good conditioned sportivo...but its all worth it in the end when u do buy it, as the car is very fun to drive

wei

Hi again

So all of you know this car? This forum is amazing all the answers are here!

Whatever car I get I'll definately thoroughly check it out. I'm after a car which is sporty but also very reliable and Corollas are known to be reliable. The Sportivo adds the sporty element I'm also after.

I don't really like red as it reminds me of a Barina but the wheels look great on it and I've been told it has sports suspension.

Any info on who's car this was? I hope it hasn't been in an accident.

Joey

:o Oh boy

:o Looks like iliv4-6 has gone down the Mazda path, to the dark side.

:o I wonder why he traded it in?

:o What's the story?

:o His cars is very very nice with all the mods.

Edited by sport1vo

i think your looking for the word, betrayed?  :lol:

I do not think so, so har*se, maybe he moved on to better things dude.

I came close when I bought my second stivo, almost got a HSV instead.

Edited by sport1vo

no accidents, well looked after, TAKE IT FOR A DRIVE AND DONT SHIFT BEFORE 8000RPM then ask yourself, Can i not buy this car. The answer will be rather apparent  :D

Hi guys! Thanks for all the quick replies, I took it for a drive, and wasn't very impressed, the sales person was encouraging me to give it a bit of a thrashing, so I tried.

Changing gears was quite difficult, it didn't rev up to 8000rpm, it kept cutting out before that. It didn't hold traction very well ether. The handling was ok, quite a bit understeer, I guess it could be because I am not familiar with the clutch and gearbox.

In the end they were asking 27k for it, do you think thats a good price, even with the rims and suspension?

I had a look inside, and in the engine bay, didn't seem like it had been in any accidents, is there anything I should be on the look out for?

The drivers seat i noticed was well worn, I'm assuming the previous driver was a big fellow. If i do get it, will be looking to replace it, is it easy to get aftermarket seats put in the car? I am thinking recaro's.

Thanks in advanced for the advice, I am quite keen, but I need some more information.

Joey

no accidents, well looked after, TAKE IT FOR A DRIVE AND DONT SHIFT BEFORE 8000RPM then ask yourself, Can i not buy this car. The answer will be rather apparent  :D

Hi guys! Thanks for all the quick replies, I took it for a drive, and wasn't very impressed, the sales person was encouraging me to give it a bit of a thrashing, so I tried.

Changing gears was quite difficult, it didn't rev up to 8000rpm, it kept cutting out before that. It didn't hold traction very well ether. The handling was ok, quite a bit understeer, I guess it could be because I am not familiar with the clutch and gearbox.

In the end they were asking 27k for it, do you think thats a good price, even with the rims and suspension?

I had a look inside, and in the engine bay, didn't seem like it had been in any accidents, is there anything I should be on the look out for?

The drivers seat i noticed was well worn, I'm assuming the previous driver was a big fellow. If i do get it, will be looking to replace it, is it easy to get aftermarket seats put in the car? I am thinking recaro's.

Thanks in advanced for the advice, I am quite keen, but I need some more information.

Joey

The veh1cle is s1ck and worth the moneys.

no offence but i don't know whether HSV is necessarily a better thing man. i have driven a lot to back up my reasoning even the HSV one off that i drove nice car but not neccessarily a better thing. that is a big call

gday matey if its deffinatly a sportivo it will rev to 8000 rpm unless its a mockup.

does it have?

leather interior

full light up instuments ( red )

6 speed

if it doesnt have any of these then most likely its a mockup.

if there asking 27 do you have a trade in aswel?

i got mine brand new in aug/sep gave em my 2000 au falcon forte and gave em 20,000 cash.

if its got low kms it might be worth buying for 27 on the road.

i tested evry car i could think of in this price range and i had similar ideas to you about sportyness.

this car is by far the best of the bunch. for price.

if you speak to the dealers again ask

what year it is?

has it had the recall done?

how longs left on the warranty?

and take it for another drive mate and make sure it revs to 8,000 rpm then im pretty sure itll make up ya mind for ya.

good luck anyway buddy. hope to see ya in the forum soon as a stivo owner. :D

Joey

Joey

Hey Joey.....

It was more likely cutting out because the engine was still cold you need to give it a couple of minutes to warm up for you to be able to activate the high cams, or else it just cuts at 6000. The clutch does take some getting used to. If you aren't familiar with the engine bay it is hard to describe what to look for in terms of mods, but look through the pics in the gallery and see what different mods look like and where they fit to see if any damage has been left post removal (if any).

Also check out carsales.com.au and drive.com.au to get comparative pricing redbook.com.au could also be handy.

Have fun shopping

Dylan

Edited by Blue_Sportivo_VVTLi

Joey I would buy the car as there is more to the car than seems I know the car very very very very well. The car has mods you cannot see and are very much worth it. It has TRD extractors worth $1500. A Toms lightened fly wheel and clutch (maybe thats why you had problems as it takes a bit to get used to same as my car and I still occasionly stall it (this was installed only a few weeks ago so is still new)) . Oh by the way the clutch and flywheel fitted is worth $1600. It has a Hondata inlet gasket (keeps the intake colder $200 or so fitted). It also has $4500 worth of wheels and suspension (Enkei wheels and Bates tuned suspension (just fitted over a month ago)). LED dash (which I converted). So in other words you are getting almost $8000 dollars of mods for nothing. Buy the car it is reliable and had no issues. It has been in no accidents. Also the dealer does not know about these mods and I would appretiate after giving this info that it remains the same. Thanks and Rgds. All prices quoted are fitted prices and subject to change...depending on the dollar and dealer fitting it.... :blink: It has all recalls done on it ...the ecu and gear change cables.