Stock head unit wirirng prob

SIL3Nt

Hey

I've had my Alpine head unit installed for over a year now on my 05 sportivo. Today I went to change it back to the stock 6 stacker mp3 unit but I've come across a little problem.

basically when I installed the Alpine unit I cut off the stock wiring harness and attached the alpine harness. Well today i put back the standard harness and hooked it up to the 6 stacker mp3 unit. I went over all the wires twice. As I turned on the ignition, smoke started seeping out of the 6 stacker unit and then I heard a fuse pop. Now the 6 stacker unit is dead.

I got a pic of the wiring done. All the wires match up with eachother etc etc. Could it have been that the factory head unit was already stuffed?

wiring:

connect 1

green-green

grey-grey

blue/yellow - blue/yellow

black - black

brow - brown

pink - pink

purple - purple

light green - light green

connector 2

red - red

black - black

yellow - yellow

white -white

dsc00451ds0.th.jpg

dsc00453bf8.th.jpg

hey Brandon

No I forgot :(. But everything was disconnected ie head unit and the harness. It was only when i plugged in the head unit and turned on the ignition thats when the smoke started appearing.

Edited by SIL3Nt

that sounds bizzare, u sure nothing was shorting while the original stacker plug was in, maybe power 12V and something? I dunno thats wierd, i put my original unit in my gfs starlet and it worked fine after i took it out of mine.

i was surprised at what happened. I double checked everything before i plugged it in and turned on the ignition. the stacker started smoking and the fuse for the door light and key buzzer blew. Also when i turned the key to ACC the needles on the speedo just jumped up. REV needle went to 8k and speedo needle went to like 120km.

The wiring looks correct, IF the harnesses are taped correctly ( I dont see it in Picture )... i see.. not a bad job.. hehe i used heatshrinks..

anyways.. if there was smoke, coming out, and u blew the fuse, hmm. just remember to switch off your car, before connecting leads, it may cross over between other wires.

you can D/C the car battery, for safe beings. but not really if you dont have to.. its better to solder the harness seperatly outside rather in your car.. if you did do it..

Get the stacker checkout, looks like the stacker may have a faulty 12v Transformer.. maybe..

Edited by Freakster

basically when I installed the Alpine unit I cut off the stock wiring harness and attached the alpine harness.

theres your problem... to avoid what you've experienced, you should have bought a wiring harness that would suit the stock toyota harness, not the other way around. ive had similar issues when i tried wiring up a cd player into an old mitsubishi.. thought wiring was perfect, no way in the world a fault would occur, but wires begin to fry after ignition for some unknown reason.

unless some car audio pro can explain it? dunno...