bad clutch slippage

black turkey

hey guys, today i was being a bit of a ***** and having far too much fun around tight roundabouts. who here loves thrashing their celica around small roundabouts? you know, just before entering dropping the car into 2nd and giving it all its got then when you have exited slamming in into 3rd, who is with me?

well anyway, my clutch was on its way anyway and doing this today finished it off, after goign around my last roundabout i grabbed 3rd and it just free revved (about 4/5 free rev) and hardly accelerated. so i wind down me window and have a smell. the unmistakable smell of burnt clutch (for some reason i dont mind the smell too much). so i drive home and could hardly accelerate to the speed limits, drove like a granny lol.

anyway its gonna sit overnight to cool it off then i will drive it to a mechanic.

My question is: im looking to not just replace my clutch but i wouldnt mind a bit of an upgrade, i dont want like a super heavy duty double plate or anything like that, just one that is still practical for everyday driving but also is a bit of a performance one. so do any of you guys have any suggestions?

thanks

you could just get a replacement exedy.

i got an exedy heavy duty, not the top of the range one, and it bites awesome and is perfect for daily driving, not to harsh.

i remember when my stock one used to slip, but like after 2days of just driving rlly carefully, it felt like normal again. i held off for ages but then gave up coz didnt want it to keep slipping when i wanted to go fast.

Edited by NGHTKD

haha i love the way you say this "Whacking into third" hahaha :P

but seriosuly it is dangerous, especially on a small tight roundabout.. cause turning at high speed.. Hmmm

You can Say Hello to the King of Understeering.. and expect a Gutter Hit.. catch my drift?

also especially on the wet lol.. even worse.. hahaha i Give you the Pinky Sir...

anyone seen the RTA ads in the Cinema Complex.. abt P Drivers lol the Pinky bhahaha

also its a shame that the clutch cannot handle long life in those terms of driving experience :P

spend over $500 get your self a good heavy duty clutch.. haha or triple plate clutch if the celica fits one.. or brass button.... Love those... Tasty.. nevermind me im drifting in and out again..

Edited by Freakster

lol

man im dreading the day i meet "the king of understeer". it is a big shame my clutch didnt last long with me driving like that but awell what can ya do (besides not doing it)?

hmmm it will be soooo funny if i get a triple plate clutch! my mum has to drive the car every second thursday after work (thank *** not yesterday) and she will be stuffed if she jumps in next time and discovers she cant get the car going without stalling. i might do it just to see her panic.

a bras button clutch? please explain why its called that....

so which clutch out of these ( http://www.exedy.com.au/sports_tuff.htm ) should i get? im thinking heavy duty....... they are all pink! its so cool, my favourite colour.....

Edited by black turkey

Im not to technical.

I'll explain Brass Button Clutch, is nothing like compared to a Normal Plate Clutch, mainly used in skylines and high powered engines. eg. V8's

These sort of cluthes have the most presice friction point, inorder to make your car move. you need to be presise as well. or stalling is your answer lol..

I have Driven the R32 Skyline with the Brass Buttin Clutch, and its either IN or Out. Brass Button can also become abit noisy when engaging, and less slipping chance...

There is also Ceremic surface clutch, which is also effective. but 1st and 2nd gear towards engaging can be abit jerky lol depends on your leg..

Triple plate clutes are allright.. depends if the Celica fits one. i dont mind myself.. does anyone know if the triple plate fits the zzt231? :P

i thought that the triple are mainly used in Motorcycles.. but meh.. i could be wrong

well im not getting any now. i have run into money issues, in the mornings my clutch is fine but as soon as i start to get going and make it at running temp it turns into i retard.

so my new question is, will driving with a clutch which slips really bad cause anymore issues than having a really bad clutch. should i just not drive my car for a few months (yes months)

Your clutch are worn out..

so it seems normal to drive in low tempreture, as soon and u rub it abit more and cause friction it will heat up. thus slippage comes into place,,,

But if you go on driving for another few months or so.. or even days...

You may experience more slippage and more... untill you cant even drive. or reaach friction point in gear 1. to go,,

its best to replce the clutch asap when you know its worn out..

cause also if you dont these may occur:

1. Flywheel requires Re-Machined. (Flywheel gets damaged)

2. Buuuurning sensation in the clutch, lol.. which actually does smell.. but when its worn hmm nothing...

3. Your car will stay in 1 spot and u cant move.. and may require towing.. if you keep driving

Yeah clutches in celicas (well most FWDs i guess) are difficult. To do this you can either remove the engine or drop the entire transmission, transaxle etc, which yes, does necessitate raising the entire car. While the clutch is out, you must either replace or resurface the flywheel and it is an EXTREMELY good idea to change the rear main oil seal which will invariably perish at some point. These are like $10 OEM. If that starts leaking it'll go all over the flywheel and you'll be pulling it all apart yet again.

And seriously, go for a decent one. My ex-mechanic used the cheapest piece of shizen - which indeed does the job - however it doesn't bite properly and feels like a rollercoaster if you drop the clutch too quickly (in any gear). The friction point is also a bit weird. I will be getting rid of it before its 100,000km life is up :P

well i guess i wont be doing it myself then. i would really like to get a heavy duty one but im so poor right now its not funny. what im gonna do is just get the replacemnt one put in, and hope its all good, drive how i always do and then change it when its stuffed again but hopefully by then i will have some money for a better clutch.

BTW found out today that my power steering is leaking a lot again, got it "fixed" a year ago for 800 bucks and its already stuffed again, but my dad said to just check the O ring that connects the pump cos thats the only piece they didnt replace when i got it reconditioned last time.

The power steering almost always leaks in our sillycars, it seems! If it's not massive you could try putting in some power steering fluid with stop leak in it (I believe there's an STP product from supercheap). It's worked pretty well for me so far. However you did just get your entire system reconditioned and might not want to go down this route. I don't know where my leak is.

I went to go to my mechanic today and ask him about getting my clutch replaced. 215$ for the clutch kit itself and (brace yourself) 1600$ including labour!!!!!!!!! WTF! i rang around some other places and they are about the same. there has to be something wrong here, i cant believe its gonna be so much.

Keisari- i guess you were right about it being a big job in FWD cars.

it looks like my car is going to be off the road for a looong time.

$1600?!?! my ***, even the stealership wanted *only* $1100 for labour an OEM kit. I'm not at home right now but I'm fairly certain I paid ~$185 for the (mediocre) kit and ~$500 for labour, and that's including a couple of other things such as replacing my CV boots, rear main oil seal... Ask around and see if anyone knows a good independent operator. A decent one will have it done in about 6 hours.

Edited by Keisari

yeah i am pretty shocked at the price. the thing is tho, i live in darwin and there are only a handfull of mechanics that will do it and are reputable, the guy i went to is my dads mechanic who does all the cars from my dads work. the guy said that he will try work me a deal, ill pay in cash to. ill have a look around, ask some people if they know any one i can try.

oh i also found out that the clutch im replacing is the original, so its had a good run (206,xxxkm) cant complain about that

yeah i was surprised when i was its the original, the owner before me was a old man who only drove it to local shops for the last ten years, before that he reckons it was a greek lady. so i doubt the car has had a hard life.

yeah the oldies do know how to take care of an automobile....mate of mine got a pulsar n13 off some old man who had it since new....it drove like new...engine had good performance it was soo clean inside out...bt newyz car was totalled few weeks ago :rolleyes: .....my mates an idiot...lol...newyz y dont u think abt gettin some heavy duty clutch or a sports one?

Edited by wishbone

if u get a new clutch, $550 inc labour + clutch installed. go to an asian auto mechanic and bargain with him lol.. they do cheap competitive proces. unlike ultratune and other non asian places lol

haha....that doesnt work if ur not asian....i tried doing tht once....the asian dude was gonna charge me 2gs for painting a bumper and replacing a corner light....lol wat a rip off....

yeah im definaltely gonna spend the extra in getting the exedy heavy duty since it costs so damn much to do, i gave my dad a call and told him about how much all this **** is gonna cost, he said he will help out and i can pay him back, he said he didnt want to see me without a car for a while. so this will get done but im still gonna look/ask around to see if i can get a better price.

yeah im definaltely gonna spend the extra in getting the exedy heavy duty since it costs so damn much to do, i gave my dad a call and told him about how much all this **** is gonna cost, he said he will help out and i can pay him back, he said he didnt want to see me without a car for a while. so this will get done but im still gonna look/ask around to see if i can get a better price.

if u go to a local mechanic they will charge u way less....u can try asian mechanics bt like i said they tried to rip me off....next time ill get an asian guy to get a quote :idea::rolleyes: ....newyz good luck...yeah i heard the xedys will set u back a bit more...bt everyone says its worth it...it shld last a long long time....provided u aint doin ne tokoyo drifting :P...take it easy dude