New Corolla (ZRE) Owners - Opinions

If you are a owner of a new model Corolla, I would very much like your 2 cents of input to help me decide if this car is worth buying.

I'm looking at the Ascent hatch in Auto. I'm also thinking about a Mazda 2 as well.

I would like to know some strengths and weaknesses of the car that you've experienced during your ownership. Any general commentary or comparisons to other cars are very much welcomed. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah I own a new Ascent Hatch Manual, and I think its great. Its actually my First car but I have driven many cars as well.

First thing is it is pretty fast for a N/A 1.8L 4 cyl, I always give 6 cyl older model commodores and N/A Lancer's a run for there money :D, It is very comfortable inside. Stock audio is pretty good for stock.

Gearbox is smooth and strong.

Only thing you would have to get used to is the clutch start thingy. You have to put the clutch all the way to the floor to start the car even in Neutral.

Only bad thing I've found with this car is the lack of RCE outputs on stock headunit and some times my indicator sticks but thats about it.

If I ever have a problem or Query, Toyota are happy to answer it ASAP, and there $120 for each Service for 3 years or 120,000k's is great. Sweet car, cheap service's :D

P.S dont get the Toyota floor mats, the back ones are orsm, but the front ones look cool, but love to hold every drop of water that comes off your shoes in the rainy weather.

Edited by The Hammer

I am biased, but I have heard many negatives re the M2's. Apparently, the build quality just is not there. But then, can you really compare an M2 to a Rolla? You'd probably have to look at the M3.

Two different classes of motor vehicle here... Mazda3 matches up with Corolla more than a 2. However, one thing to take into consideration is the Corolla doesn't come with stability control as an option - the 2 does. I reckon a Maxx or a Genki are both excellent value for money and still fall well and truly under the price for an Ascent auto (around $25K). The old 2 was average, the new one is brilliant all round, and that includes build quality.

Get the ZRE manual if u can. 6 speed manual is better then 4 speed auto. I sometimes feel its quite slow (dumb) when it comes to changing gear after driving a while. Expect the design fault Sqeeky brakes then Aus Toyota will not/cannot fix. Other then that, its very roomy and comfortable. Mazda2 genki looks pretty hot but its alot smaller car.

Given what had happened to my ZRE152R 07 Levin ZR. I'd have to say the car is a great drive. Alas I have the 4 speed Auto, its a bit chuggy compared to the six speed manual but when I got the car having a manual was slightly out of the question. (licensing issues).

That aside, the engine is pretty potent for a 1.8L and its quite smooth on the road.

As for the squeaking brakes issue. Since I have not experienced it I can't comment.

Please Note I've been a Toyota person pretty much my whole car-life, starting out with an 86 AE82 and it was great, always loved em since. :D The M2/M3 might be better for you, it depends, just try test-drive em both and see how you feel in em.

Two different classes of motor vehicle here... Mazda3 matches up with Corolla more than a 2. However, one thing to take into consideration is the Corolla doesn't come with stability control as an option - the 2 does. I reckon a Maxx or a Genki are both excellent value for money and still fall well and truly under the price for an Ascent auto (around $25K). The old 2 was average, the new one is brilliant all round, and that includes build quality.

I got quoted 23K drive away for the auto and basic accessories. Which is about M2 Maxx territory. I understand it is a very different in size but I can live with both.

How would dynamics compare? Both refuse a test drive =/

M2 has been regarded highly (prob against other light cars) but how does it compare to the new Corolla?

Acceleration seems to be on par for the both of them.

I got quoted 23K drive away for the auto and basic accessories.

Excellent price! Must be an 07 plate (or a demo?). Toyota are doing good incentives atm for dealers who sell off 07 stock.

Which is about M2 Maxx territory. I understand it is a very different in size but I can live with both.

Actually, I think it's closer to Genki auto territory at that price.

How would dynamics compare? Both refuse a test drive =/

Those dealers don't deserve your business. Shop elsewhere if they don't offer you a test drive. I work for a dealer that has Toyota and Mazda franchises. Are you in Brissie by any chance?

M2 has been regarded highly (prob against other light cars) but how does it compare to the new Corolla?

Acceleration seems to be on par for the both of them.

The Corolla is a bit bland and boring to drive, whereas the 2 has excellent handling and I feel it also has better performance in the auto, when compared to a Corolla auto. You need to find some dealers who will be kind enough to offer you a test drive, so you can decide which vehicle you like best. Good luck!

Test drove the Corolla. A leap forward from my last ZZE series. Stiff body, vastly improved refinement and the engine is also smoother and delivers progressive power. It felt slower than the older model maybe due to reduced cabin noise but its probably on par overall.

Cabin has alot more personality compared to the old though alot of hard plastics used and theres some common themes with the Yaris interior. I like the little cubby holes and cup holders integrated all round too. Took a while to get used to the depth of the dash. Feels MPV-ish.

I signed the papers for $23k 07' Sterling Silver Ascent Auto with tint, mats, boot liner, slim plates. Delivery in about a week.

Test drove the Corolla. A leap forward from my last ZZE series. Stiff body, vastly improved refinement and the engine is also smoother and delivers progressive power. It felt slower than the older model maybe due to reduced cabin noise but its probably on par overall.

Cabin has alot more personality compared to the old though alot of hard plastics used and theres some common themes with the Yaris interior. I like the little cubby holes and cup holders integrated all round too. Took a while to get used to the depth of the dash. Feels MPV-ish.

I signed the papers for $23k 07' Sterling Silver Ascent Auto with tint, mats, boot liner, slim plates. Delivery in about a week.

Might've felt slower because of all the extra weight they've put on compared to the ZZE-122R. Again, an excellent price, enjoy when you get it.

The Levin ZR i beleive weighs in at nearly 1,300kg if im not mistaken. Which is quite alot for a 100kW engine.

I still would have loved for the Levin ZR to have a bit more grunt over the other models. like the sportivo over the others. just not as much :P

but either way, welcome to the family :D

Might've felt slower because of all the extra weight they've put on compared to the ZZE-122R. Again, an excellent price, enjoy when you get it.

Doesn't beat my Price, I got my Manual Ascent Hatch for 20k, but im only paying 17 lol, but still thats an awesome price for a Auto with those extra accesories

I'd like to see the Blade with the 2.4L down here to fill that gap to take on SP23.

They even have the 3.5L V6 version! R32 eater?

hahaha if it could get traction! still think the 32 may be too much for it anyway

• 4 weeks later...

I currently own a Toyota Corolla Accent Manual Hatchback, and I say it drives like a mini-MPV. Being a rear torsion-rear beam suspension setup explains why there is a lot of body roll around corners. It doesn't hug corners like the Mazda 3. The car engine needs a rev to get the most out of it, preferably above 4000 rpm, even then the engine starts to scream. It'll be interesting next year or during the next facelift if they'll replace the torsion rear-beam with the multi-rear link suspension, with the ESP.

At the end of the day, the Corolla is a car to get you from A-B.

I got my Corolla for $21,200 driveaway. Tight ****s didn't thrown in any free accessories

I currently own a Toyota Corolla Accent Manual Hatchback, and I say it drives like a mini-MPV. Being a rear torsion-rear beam suspension setup explains why there is a lot of body roll around corners. It doesn't hug corners like the Mazda 3. The car engine needs a rev to get the most out of it, preferably above 4000 rpm, even then the engine starts to scream. It'll be interesting next year or during the next facelift if they'll replace the torsion rear-beam with the multi-rear link suspension, with the ESP.

I guess it gives us ZRE owners a reason to mod it so that it will peform a little better. I have been reading alot about the engine and yes you do have to rev the engine as it does have a larger size bore compared to the 9th Gen Corollas. This gives us even more reasons why we should hassle blitz or any similar company to start building super-chargers to get more power early in the rev range.

I'm not 100% sure but maybe a simple cat-back and CAI might just help the car rev a little easier as I also find that it starts to scream higher up in the rev-range.

I guess it gives us ZRE owners a reason to mod it so that it will peform a little better. I have been reading alot about the engine and yes you do have to rev the engine as it does have a larger size bore compared to the 9th Gen Corollas. This gives us even more reasons why we should hassle blitz or any similar company to start building super-chargers to get more power early in the rev range.

I'm not 100% sure but maybe a simple cat-back and CAI might just help the car rev a little easier as I also find that it starts to scream higher up in the rev-range.

Given that from what I've seen I'm pretty much the only person who has been game enough to install a cat-back exhaust system in place of the stock unit. (That or I have not been looking hard enough.)

The new exhaust that I got fabricated has come up trumps in the 'more punch' department. I find that the response is a bit quicker and it glides up the rev range alot quicker now too rather than struggling as the revs climb around sub-4,000rpm. Unfortunately as the airbox has all the AFM stuff on it its hard to easily just remove the box and place the AFM sensor stuff on some piping for a CAI. But who knows, it might come to play. :)

Just my two cents there, I do agree with you.

Oh and just for some fun, here's a photo of the stock resonator and mufflers. :P

1.jpg

2.jpg

Given that from what I've seen I'm pretty much the only person who has been game enough to install a cat-back exhaust system in place of the stock unit. (That or I have not been looking hard enough.)

The new exhaust that I got fabricated has come up trumps in the 'more punch' department. I find that the response is a bit quicker and it glides up the rev range alot quicker now too rather than struggling as the revs climb around sub-4,000rpm. Unfortunately as the airbox has all the AFM stuff on it its hard to easily just remove the box and place the AFM sensor stuff on some piping for a CAI. But who knows, it might come to play. :)

Just my two cents there, I do agree with you.

Oh and just for some fun, here's a photo of the stock resonator and mufflers. :P

1.jpg

2.jpg

Ahem Ahem.. Your not the only one with the aftermarket exhaust system :P

Ahem Ahem.. Your not the only one with the aftermarket exhaust system :P

Like I said, I guess I did not look hard enough. ;)

How much did you pay for your custom exhaust?

I've been lookin at the TRD exhaust, is $400au uninstalled worth it?

Okay my setup was $600 fitted. Basically its all fresh piping right back from the manifold/cat, all mandrel bent, taking a similar line as the stock system. 2.5 inches the whole way (i beleive) coupled with a Remus Muffler in the tailend. I know some people wanted sound clips and pics, so ill try get them now. :)

EDIT: Link to Video...

Edited by Tofuboi

I have to say I'm not a fan of the electronic throttle. Anyone agree with me?

I've gotten used to it, but the Camry's conventional throttle is so much better.

With the Corolla, I would get nearly no response, then a sudden surge past a point.

Eletronic Throttle Control? Are you sure the new Corolla has it? I've read the specs on the Toyota website and it made no mention of it at all.

I have to say I'm not a fan of the electronic throttle. Anyone agree with me?

I've gotten used to it, but the Camry's conventional throttle is so much better.

With the Corolla, I would get nearly no response, then a sudden surge past a point.

Eletronic Throttle Control? Are you sure the new Corolla has it? I've read the specs on the Toyota website and it made no mention of it at all.

I'm pretty sure it has one.

Test drive both cars and see how you go. We have three cars, Ford Fiesta, Ford Focus and my Toyota Rolla Levin ZR 6 sp manual. I drive the Fords occasionally and what I have noticed is that the overall road noise is far more severe. However, the Fords do feel more responsive and lively whereas the toyota feels more refined and tamed, but still relatively fun to drive. I also have freinds that drive Mazdas and the road noise is considerably more compared to the new Toyota (especially the Mazda 3).

From a cost perspective, the Mazda 2 will provide better bang per buck if you do not always drive a full load of passengers. It is sporty, has more stability features in terms of road handling with braking and steering (stability control especially) and throttle modulation (traction control). And it looks very sporty!

Rollas have been known to be a small family car due to its relatively bigger interior. If you drive with the family quite often then the rolla is a better choice. Which grade of the rolla line-up will be entirely up to you. I believe the 'ascent' provides the best value.

G Luck.