Dream Theater and Nightwish

Leroy

Hey all!!

Wednesday saw the performance of arguably the most musically proficient rock band on earth: Dream Theater!!!

Oh my ***... I was in heaven. I didn't want it to end... The could have played their entire back catalogue and I still would have screamed for more! They could have all played a million solos, and I would have wanted more!

highlights included: Jordan Rudess leaving his keyboard podium and rocking out on a 'key-tar', Mike Portnoy's ever constant stick bouncing at random intervals through songs, James Labrie threatening to set us on fire if we left...

Then came Friday, which saw Nightwish hit our shores for their world tour. Good gig, although I do prefer Tarja at the mic, and they definitely could have played a lot louder...actually, much louder - i swear ive played their albums louder in my car...

Complaints aside though, was great to see them...

Even better was on the night before, though. My GF, sister, and I were walking back to our hotel along Market St (sydney Cbd) in the pouring rain. We walked past a taxi rank, and I thought to myself 'hmm that guy looks a lot like Captain Jack Sparrow. Then out of the corner of my eye, I notice a chap who looked remarkably like the bass player of nightwish. He stared back at me, sorta puzzled as to why I was staring. Then it dawned on me that the whole purpose of my trip was to see them play, and that it was actually them standing in front of me!! As I kept walking, i shot Marco (the bass player) the \m/ gesture, and he gave me one back. We all ran away like little girls...

To cut a long story short, we mustered the courage to go back and ask for some photos, and they were nice enough to oblige! So to Tuomas (keyboard player extraordinaire and Johnny Depp lookalike), and Marco (bassist with the coolest beard ever), a HUGE THANKYOU!!!!

(sorry about my phone pics, i was lucky to even salvage these off before it completely died)

Image006.jpg

Image009.jpg

Was at the Dream Theater gig at the Hordern, was quite surprised at the relatively standard set that they played (compared to say Score or Budokan), but that didn't make it any less awesome. They got my hopes up just after the intermission though, seemed like they were going to play all of Scenes From A Memory until they stopped after Fatal Tragedy and went into Erotomania.

Lines In The Sand has convinced me to buy Falling Into Eternity now, I've avoided it for a long time as well as Chane Of Seasons due to all the stigma attached to them.