ABS are they all this noisy?

mrbishi

Thought I would have a bit of a play on the wet roads weve been getting (Sydney) lately, in particular trying out the ABS.

It all seems to work extremely well, but I was amazed at how loud it is and how aggressive the feedback from the brake pedal was....anyone else tried it and had the same experience.

The reason why I ask is because our previous car ( Alfa-Romeo) had superb brakes and the ABS was so quite and smooth you wouldnt even know it was operating, all you would feel was a small rattle in the brake pedal and hardly any noise.......

well i havent actually played with the abs but i have had a few times were i have actually had to slam the brakes really hard. i had a recent even that cause my abs to work. the pedal did vibrate were it was very noticable but didnt really pay attention to the sound at that moment. also slammed the brakes in my old mans new pathfinder and his pedal did vibrate quite violently.

I had a Camry with ABS for 8 years and only activated it for the first time last year when an idiot in a Commodore ran a red light.

It was extremely noisy. Sounded like someone was using a hammer drill on the car. Don't know what the pedal felt like because I think I pushed it through the firewall.

Heh - after my first experience with ABS, I made my mum activate it in a car park to get a feel for it. The screams, oh the ear shattering screams...

I'd recommend you all test it because it's quite unnerving the first time.

Since then, mother dearest has used the ABS quite a lot...

• 2 months later...
ABS is the bomb, so many times has it been used to get me out of sticky situations :)

With some idiots on the roads these days, ABS is essential, i wouldnt buy a car without it.

With the vibrations, some cars(toyotas) are louder than others, and vibrate more. These is not because they cannot engineer this feature out, they deliberately do this tell the driver that these features are in operation, ie, you may need to back off and not push your car so fast in the wet for example.

This will be my first car with stability control, it will be interested to see how this feature goes offroad!

By the way, when i tested the brakes on the kluger on a dry piece of bitumen, the brakes from 90km to 0km, it was better than a vz SV6 we had. No abs intervention was required. I was VERY impressed considering its weight...

ABS is the bomb, so many times has it been used to get me out of sticky situations :)

With some idiots on the roads these days, ABS is essential, i wouldnt buy a car without it.

With the vibrations, some cars(toyotas) are louder than others, and vibrate more. These is not because they cannot engineer this feature out, they deliberately do this tell the driver that these features are in operation, ie, you may need to back off and not push your car so fast in the wet for example.

This will be my first car with stability control, it will be interested to see how this feature goes offroad!

By the way, when i tested the brakes on the kluger on a dry piece of bitumen, the brakes from 90km to 0km, it was better than a vz SV6 we had. No abs intervention was required. I was VERY impressed considering its weight...

Yeah it stops pretty good, its got pretty massive disks thats probably why they work so well.

Yeah it stops pretty good, its got pretty massive disks thats probably why they work so well.

They are like pizza dishes! Anyone driven this offroad? I have seen reviews which indicate they are quite good offroad.