to fix or not to fix

Buster Gutt

Hi,

My beloved daughter unfortunately ran the Camry into the backend of a fool who took off at the lights and then stomped on the brakes halfway across. Pouring rain, hail and debris on the road and BANG! My daughter is fine but front end of Camry got busted:

2 bust headligts

Bonnet Buckled and won't close

All the grill work busted

The assembly between the Bumper and radiator buckled (did not get radiator) This includes the apron that the radiator bolts to that holds the hood catch

A panel beater that I know reckons that a panel beaters will quote some thousands to fix, but if there is a cheaper do it yourself alternative that will not brak the bank? The car is worth $2000 max and I am torn between attempting to repair (I am not to clever) and taking it (still drives ok) down the wreckers... :(

Any ideas ?

PS my my daughter is fine (and will get another later model car)

Hi,

My beloved daughter unfortunately ran the Camry into the backend of a fool who took off at the lights and then stomped on the brakes halfway across. Pouring rain, hail and debris on the road and BANG! My daughter is fine but front end of Camry got busted:

2 bust headligts

The assembly between the Bumper and radiator buckled (did not get radiator) This includes the apron that the radiator bolts to that holds the hood catch

A panel beater that I know reckons that a panel beaters will quote some thousands to fix, but if there is a cheaper do it yourself alternative that will not brak the bank? The car is worth $2000 max and I am torn between attempting to repair (I am not to clever) and taking it (still drives ok) down the wreckers... :(

Any ideas ?

Sorry to hear that champ.

If only the radiator is damaged or less, get it fixed. $2000 can't get you from A > B, but a car can :D

My mate had the same prob with an old '83 honda. get wedged between to cars. front and back damage. they wanted a fix, insurance said, here is 3k now go away. The physical car is worth a whole lots more they they are insured for.

sorry to hear....at least ur daughters fine....do u have insurance? and is ur daughter under the age of 21? if ur daughters is under 21 im guessin the insurance company is asking for around 2000 for excess....if its the whole front end it would prob cost around 2000 for a decent job....are the 2 side panels damaged too??

i can give u an estimate on a few parts...btw these would be 2nd hand parts (but genuine camry parts) and they wont all be the same colour....

Bonnet- about $150

Main headlight- around $100 each plus $20-30 for the corner light...soo for 2 sets of lights including 2 corner lights..ur looking at around $250 for the lot...

Bumper- around $120 or $110...

Front Grill- around $60-70..

if i was u i would go to autobarn and get ur colour ( i think its around 30buck for a can of around 500ml-i could be wrong)...it wont look like brand new....bt at night u cant tell...you can do it all urself the hard bit is taking out the damaged parts....when u do take out the damaged parts...inspect the chasis and make sure that hasnt been impacted....if the chasis has deformed slightly then i think its best to go to a panel beater....

Edited by wishbone

2nd what Wishbone's said...

If you're after a proper paint job though, buy the front bumper from Ebay or a wrecker and then to a spray shop... shouldn't spend too much I'd imagine.

I'd be moreso takin all the damaged stuff off (few screws and nuts here and there) and replacing with 2nd hand gear from a wrecker. That's gonna be by far, the cheapest way to do it.

Another scenario... someone's got a POS Camry that they've driven to the ground, but same colour like yours... they sell em for like, 1-1.5k sometimes.

where do u live mate....got a few mates working at wrecking yards they can fix u up with 2nd hand parts for a good price....cheers whip...and yeah i would take whips advice on the spray paint...coz we fixed a mates car just using the autobarn paint straight up....and yeah it didnt look to great.....if u wanna make it look good get each part sprayed at a spray shop....

Hi,

2 bust headligts

Any ideas ?

Have a look on Ebay there a 94 wagon going that done 400.000 klm you might buy that cheap its just on now @$.99 cent and it wont go to high either its in NSW you could get all the part you want off it and sell the balance back on ebay Providing you motor and trans are in good nick its worth doiing and it keeps you out of the pub and pokies for a while hahahaah good luck just go to ebay click on motors then on the left hand side find toyota and camry and under $5000 dollars and you will find it

Hi,

2 bust headligts

Any ideas ?

If she is getting another car, then just call the metal recycler or advertise it for $200 or ebay it...

sv21 is only worth $500 max... too old now, move to a gen3... 92 - 96 buy for about $1500 - $4000

much safer in a crash and heaps better anyway...

just walk away from it... if you fix it, it will still be a fixed up sv21...

I would just move on, life is too short.