60's Crown Engine Conversion

Canyonero

Hi guys,

I'm not all that familiar with this sorta stuff so go easy on me! :( hahah

My old man and I are looking for a late 60's Crown. There's abit of a story behind why we want one, but I'm looking into having the engine swapped - if we find one that hasn't already.

I'm not looking to break a new speed record, I'm just looking to have a newer engine installed that's got abit more oomph! and lifespan.

Are there any common engine conversions for this type of car? I've heard that a common one is a Chevy engine?

Costs?

Umm.. I'm not sure whatelse is involved apart from buying the engine and then putting it in.. so, any feedback would be awesome!

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
Hi guys,

My old man and I are looking for a late 60's Crown. There's abit of a story behind why we want one, but I'm looking into having the engine swapped - if we find one that hasn't already.

I'm not looking to break a new speed record, I'm just looking to have a newer engine installed that's got abit more oomph! and lifespan.

Are there any common engine conversions for this type of car? I've heard that a common one is a Chevy engine?

Costs?

Umm.. I'm not sure whatelse is involved apart from buying the engine and then putting it in.. so, any feedback would be awesome!

Cheers!

man - sorry i'm late on replying, you've probably already done the swap. why not keep the feeling with a late model v8 from a landcruiser or lexus, as seems to be all the rage in custom circles lately. My understanding is 4.0 or 4.5 litre petrol options are available, the latter being particularly suited to gas. Who knows ,ya might even want a turbo diesel. I'd suggest having any good muscle car/ mod shop lookijng at any mount fabrication required - hopefully it's just a matter of that only - rather than having to alter tunnels/firewalls etc. I wouldn't expect these to be an issue though - no more so than say any gm plant.

Gotta say the rig looks epic, and I know what you mean about keeping em original as I bought an ms 65 recently myself with a view to HEAVILY customization in a few years - now that I've tarted it up, the ***** looks too good to carve up!

Many apologies again on delay of reply - due to club rego hassles. h (sob)

Hi guys,

Costs?

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Ok.

I've been MIA recently and was previously tossing up the idea to have an engine conversion, but .. I've decided to NOT go ahead with any conversion and keep it all niice and original. There was speak of stricter rules with conversions and not having able to engineer it. So I bought a soarer as my main car and keep the crown in the garage for weekends!

thanks to all who shared the love.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok.

I've been MIA recently and was previously tossing up the idea to have an engine conversion, but .. I've decided to NOT go ahead with any conversion and keep it all niice and original. There was speak of stricter rules with conversions and not having able to engineer it. So I bought a soarer as my main car and keep the crown in the garage for weekends!

thanks to all who shared the love.

Good work :) Thought about installing it to original, along with updating some things along the way? That thing would make an awesome low and slow cruiser.