Dyno Tuning and Servicing Sportivo (Urgent)

Aks

Guys, I've just recently not long ago booked in for Dyno Tuning to Top Racing and I think it will be tuned by Steve Thomas.

and I was thinking of servicing with them as well since I don't really keen to bring my car back to Toyota people since they always don't know anything about it.

then just little while ago, a reliable friend of mine told me about Steve thomas' ill story about blowing engines in the past while he was in SST before it closed down.

I know Top Racing's been good so far for me and my friend but just wanna cross check before bringing my car this comming Tuesday...

well yea install and dyno tune the AFC-neo...

about wasting time and money, I'll post the printout later to see if its a waste of time and money or not..

I'm expecting to gain an extra 5-15hp just from the tuning alone..

I just need some feedback if u guys know the history of this guy Steve Thomas...

coz I only know Uncle Lee which is really good at engine rebuild...

You will have very minimal gains at the most with an A/F controller. You need to touch our cars timmings and especially vvti to get really noticable gains.

A Apexi PFC is the ecu of choice but budget at least 3K for parts, installation and tuning.

You will have very minimal gains at the most with an A/F controller. You need to touch our cars timmings and especially vvti to get really noticable gains.

A Apexi PFC is the ecu of choice but budget at least 3K for parts, installation and tuning.

But if want something that is better than the PFC go Autronic. The duck nuts of aftermarket ECU's and one that works on Corolla's. That's what CES used on the turbo Sportivo they built.

But if want something that is better than the PFC go Autronic. The duck nuts of aftermarket ECU's and one that works on Corolla's. That's what CES used on the turbo Sportivo they built.

Autron.... who :P :P :P :P :P

Mate seriously before u get any feedback regarding the tuner or the workshop im going to give u some feedback regarding the product

DONT WASTE UR TIME ..... oh and regarding dynosheets ..... i can show u exactly how 5 to 15 HP can be added by simply moving 1 cable.

Have a read of these quotes

yeah, the AFC NEO. I've got it installed in my GTS, not a very friendly addition. It's taken away my lift, it's not set up to control the lift on the VVTL-I engine. Yeah, it has VTEC control, which can't really be used because VTEC and VVTL-I have different modulations. It'd be awesome if you COULD, because it does allow you to adjust where your engine would switch from low cam to high cam, but it doesn't work with the Toyota, the ECU is too smart for it and doesn't really hold the settings. It'd be a great addition for a GT, but not a GT-S. If you want it for a GT, I'm going to sell mine. Other than the problem with the lift not working, the AFC NEO is pretty awesome, lots of stuff to play with, and an awesome digital display.
wow people really just don't learn at all. its been said millions of times that piggybacks suck for our car and that the stock ecu will override the tuning anyways and yet people are still getting afc's and emanage.

http://newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=228840

http://newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225949

Now if many people have attempted it and gone wrong / proved it doesn't work out why do u believe u will b any different ?

I look forward to seeing ur for sale thread in the buy and sell section of 1 AFC Neo.......

• 2 years later...

Hey guys (especially xoom, you have the ride to back the comments and knowledge!),

Does this bashing of piggyback solutions for the 2ZZ-GE extend to Chiptorque's XEDE processor? What is it about Toyota's ECU that makes it so keen to "learn" its way around any ECU modifications?

Adrian

Our ECU can only be tuned in WOT (Wide open throttle) unless you have a more knowledge and an advanced piggy back.

WOT is where you want to make the power so a piggyback is fine after minor mods. The factory ECU will run a bit rich up top and there is only 3-4 hp to be gained from tuning the fuel. There will be more of a gain in also tuning the vvt 4-5hp. So with the neo its not really worth it in my opinion.

Edited by matt_glad

well yea install and dyno tune the AFC-neo...

about wasting time and money, I'll post the printout later to see if its a waste of time and money or not..

I'm expecting to gain an extra 5-15hp just from the tuning alone..

I just need some feedback if u guys know the history of this guy Steve Thomas...

coz I only know Uncle Lee which is really good at engine rebuild...

as said by xoom, an AFC is a f*cking waste of time... the thing has a 2x12 (so 12 rpm points, two manifold pressure settings, high, low) map (maybe its changed since the neo, the safc II was 2x12 anyway) point is, even if you can get the ECU to stick with the afc tune, its not much good... a piggy back like an emanage is much better (16x16 map) but better still is a power fc or adaptronic, etc.

Xoom what's this gain by moving 1 cable?? Lol interested..

its the cable that provides the best bang for buck ....... on paper that is ....... do a dyno run with the temp sensor somewhere very cold ....... then move the temp sensor into ur engine bay AFTER u have put a TRD sticker on the car and watch how the TRD sticker will net u MASSIVE gains ........

Xoom what's this gain by moving 1 cable?? Lol interested..

I think Bill is referring to the air temperature sensor at the dyno shop. Move that somewhere hot and watch your numbers climb!

its the TRD sticker i tellya dave ;) ;) ;) ;)